Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pros and cons of moving to production from limited

NicVerAZ

I am getting more and more serious at this thing, to the point I am starting to do a lot of drills and look into renting the practical bays at my club (Rio) and getting some lessons with some hot shots. I am only shooting Tuesday Night Steel (D class) but I feel I am getting better each week. Not into any competition with anyone but myself at this point. Ok I do check the scores on Wednesday morning to see where I stand with the rest.

It seems there are far less people in production than in limited. I also would like to dedicate my GP6 to this division. I would not mind getting a Trojan (or equivalent) to shoot SS major and eventually look into a 40SW for limited major, although SS is more attractive to me.

I just like shooting the GP6 so much, I feel like shooting it competitively without having the disadvantage of being overclassed automatically by shooting minor. I also have that self-defense approach where I believe that these skills I am building may be useful one day (hopefully not). Therefore learning to swap magazines at the right time fits in that approach. This may be why I am attracted to prod and SS more than any other division.

So what should I consider regarding division choices and what did I forget? What is your experience?

Thanks for the input.

I would shoot what you will have fun with. Up here in the northwest, there are good shooters in all divisions. When I started out I was shooting IDPA (revolver, CDP, ESP). When I moved to USPSA I started out with a few matches in production, then SS, then eventually I tried everything. When I got my JPL Open Gun, I have really enjoyed shooting it a lot - so that's what I shoot. If SS or production is in line with your shooting goals (self-defense orientation) and/or you're going to be crossing over between IDPA and USPSA, maybe the same gun for both sports would be a good thing.

Shoot what will bring you the most joy.

~Mitch

I am shooting production now coming from Open Division.

I'd say production has its own challenges, one or more reload, no magwells, different stage planning, all A's and the best perk of all, soft loads!!!

Since you mentioned you like the self-defense approach, have you tried IDPA? i dont shoot it but it has a different approach to the shooting game.

I moved to Production from Limited last year.

There are more reloads, no huge magwell to help with said reloads, less rounds in the gun to "throw" extra shots at targets, minor scoring means Charlies are bad, and Deltas may as well be misses. There seem to be more chances to royally screw up stages without the extra rounds, and stage planning can be a PITA.

Ammo is alot cheaper (assuming 9mm vs .40).

Cons, I don't have any.

I've had alot more fun shooting Production than I ever did shooting Limited. So much so, that I sold my 2011 Limited gun last year.

Don't worry too much about what other people are shooting at your range. Shoot what you like and have fun.

I like shooting the GP6 , I feel like shooting it competitively without having the disadvantage of being overclassed automatically by shooting minor. I also have that self-defense approach where I believe that these skills I am building may be useful one day (hopefully not). Therefore learning to swap magazines at the right time fits in that approach.

I'd shoot the GP6 in Production.

sounds like a great gun, and it should be competitive,

and FUN :cheers:

I'm in the same boat. I've shot about 4 USPSA matches and really liking it, 1 in Prod and 3 in Limited, Production was last weekend and I enjoyed it just as much as Limited. We have about the same number in each division. My Limited gun is just a bone stock M&P40. I shoot more 3gun, so I feel a beefed up Limited gun would work best for me all around. It's been driving me crazy looking for a really good reason to justify the purchase of a M&P40L or a G35, but then again, do we need a "really" good reason for another gun purchase?

Here are some cons (and reasons I'm eventually moving from Production to Limited).

The BOD doesn't have a clue of what to do with Production or what it's supposed to be. Is it a division for beginners? Should the rules be designed to keep the division inexpensive to participate in? Should the rules mirror the rules of IPSC? Are the guns supposed to be totally stock, or should some modifications be allowed? If they are to be allowed, where does one draw the line? Is a magwell a physical black hole that cannot be visible because no light escapes it, so any modifications done there are not "externally visible?" Given the vast number of guns allowed, how could the chrono station ever know if a gun is illegal as long as it passes weight and it shoots ammo fast enough? Of course the real problem is what will Production look like in a year / 2 years / 5 years? No one knows.

Competitors take advantage of the fact that Production rules are unenforceable and they flaunt them. How many aftermarket grips get applied that in no way mirror the factory profile? There are tons, and they get used because people know the RO won't be able to identify what the true factory profile should be. The same goes for aftermarket barrels, trigger modifications, and on and on.

Some ROs see some Production rules as "gotcha" items they can use to bump people to Open. Holster a millimeter forward of your "hip bone" as determined by the RO (but not specifically defined in the rule book...)? Welcome to Open!

I could go on, but I think you get the point. Production is really fun to shoot, and it will help you develop the accuracy and weapons handling skills necessary to do well in the sport. However, it's pretty badly mismanaged, and I for one am going to make Limited my focus after this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking to try production for awhile as a change of pace (coming from Open). Just waiting for a deal on a G35. What is this talk about only shooting minor in production?

Because 9mm major is only allowed in open. Therefore 9mm shooters have a division where they are on the same foot as everyone else. Overall score does not matter.

I am looking to try production for awhile as a change of pace (coming from Open). Just waiting for a deal on a G35. What is this talk about only shooting minor in production?

Everyone gets scored minor in Production. Even if you are shooting a load that make 165 PF, you will still be scored minor. Given this, most Production shooters tend to shoot 9mm which is the minimum caliber. Some people are discovering shooting a 40 loaded minor is also a very nice alternative.

Speaking from my own experience going from a Glock 34 to a tweaked STI.

PROS: Better trigger/more rounds in mags

CONS: Much more expensive guns/much more expensive mags

Enjoy running a great Limited gun, but ultimately competition is competition, and one division is not necessarily more fun than another.

:cheers:

Curtis

I shoot a lot of Single Stack. I went to Production for a few months. Springer did the work on my gun. Great trigger, etc.

The 10 round mag limit was actually an increase for me.

The bottom line for me was; I am not as accurate with my XD as I am with my SS or Limited guns. I let myself develop some bad habits in the pursuit of speed.

I sold my Production gun.

I will shoot SS, L10, Limited or Open from now on.

It is a great division. Easy to start and compete with a Production gun, but I am not so good with it.

I have about 4,000 pieces of 9mm now. So I will build a SV 9mm for 3Gun.