Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What was your biggest breakthrough?

Loves2Shoot

A post about point shooting got me thinking about why I don't do it anymore. I was stuck in A class for years, some of my mentors insisting that point shooting was "the trick" to blazing fast times, so I pursued that method of shooting for years, but inevetibly I would get poor hits on targets I should have great hits on, and even misses, it killed many a match for me. Smooth did not describe my shooting style at all. I tried to go faster and faster, getting frustrated on the thousands I was spending on ammo and gear and not progressing, I had seen Brian's book in magazine, but figured it irrelevant, being so old and all.

Then about a year ago, I met by chance a guy who had finished 5th at the last World Shoot in limited and got to do some one on one with him. We did a bunch of el prez type drills and I was amazed his times were slower than mine, but he almost always got all a's, and so our hit factors about equaled out, even with his "slow" times. He said man you shoot really fast, but watch this. He then made the targets all a zone only and then he proceeded to kick my ass. He showed me that my biggest problem was my raw speed.

He then showed me how that is I only slowed down a bit, how my hits would increase and my times wouldn't suffer. Watching my sights, be increasing my split times to just as long as it took my to see my sights rise and fall. My splits went from .14-.15 to .17-.18 but I could get a's taking that fraction of extra time. My transitions went from .3 -.35 to .2-.25 so my overall times actually didn't suffer.

He then worked on movement and that is where seeing every shot really made a difference. In point shooting on the move I would generaly get one good hit and one not as good hit because I was leaving the target too soon. When I started to see the shots, I could get two good shots and the times were faster. And low and behold they were dang close to his times.

He also recommended I buy an old book by a guy named Brian Enos and read it, so since I had improved my shooting more in two days than I had in two years I figured I spend the cash to do so. Then the lights came on after I devoured the book in a day. Shooting no longer became a game of being fast, but being aware. Within 3 months I had my M card and I was now not a spaz, but having GM's tell me I was smooth and I actually started winning stages and not burning like I had for years.

So, if I am biased about seeing everything and about not worrying about what gear you have as long as it works everytime you pull the trigger, I've spent thousands learning the hard way, and if you think your gear or "trick" things will hold you back, I'm living proof that is BS. I've been a D class shooter and I've beat some pretty good shooters.

I don't have the answers, mostly more questions, but for me I've come to realize that if there is something holding you back most likely it is either a lack of mastery of the fundamentals (see BE's book if you don't get that) and lack of sight/trigger discipline, not gear, bullet weight, powder type, or any of that stuff so many people get caught up in.

Thanks BE and members of the forum! Shooting is more of a pleasure now than ever because of the efforts you've undertaken to share your expericence.

Seeing the cardboard rip out of the target as I shot it, which in turn caused me to realize:

(0) That my shooting platform had miraculously stabilized itself and that keeping my front sight on target had become effortless at low speed.

(1) that shooting at 50 yards was just no big deal.

(2) Shooting steel plates with a handgun at 100-200 yards is not much harder other than accounting for elevation.

My biggest breakthrough was finally understanding what the "5 elements of success" were in my IPSC shooting.

1. Get good gear and never stop trying to better the technology. Let the "tech" work for you. It need not be state of the art but obtain as good gear as you can afford.

2. Follow your own lead, use gear and techniques YOU believe in...not what others say you should have or do.

3. Listen to the advise of those that have been there. If BE or TGO "suggests" that you try something...what have you got to lose by trying it and giving it your best efforts? Learn from a Pro.

4. Not everyone has the physical skills for success but those that have heart and desire can make up for a lack of "cat like reflexes".

5. Always try hard, work hard, believe in yourself and your abilities and shoot against YOU, not the others on the range. Challenge yourself to improve on your best effort to date. Soon enough...you'll reach the top of your game.

* This is how a 38 year old man at 275 pounds made "M" in Limited Division shooting a "capacity challenged" SV in 45acp. ;)

Wow, great question. I've been sitting here thinking about this for awhile... picking one realization is tough. But it would have to be, and I know this may sound general or vague but it feels like the best way to say it, when I stopped trying and started just watching, I realized three things:

a. I could hit the A box as fast as I could hit the target.

b. I could know I was hitting the A box as fast or faster than I could wonder if I was.

c. My transition times improved by doing a and b.

My entire approach for everything I did changed the day I learned what it meant to "read the gun." That was a practice experience. (I figured out how to list two.)

My greatest match realization was that the effort my body applied to my grip and position was not the same in a match as it was in practice. Which was why things didn't "look the same" in a match as they did in practice. Then the job became figuring out a way to monitor my "effort level" while actually shooting in a match. And although that was a tremendous breakthrough, I hesitated to mention it because I feel it is Temperament related. I think some would be better off by never considering that, and just sticking to "a" and "b".

be

Finish the shot.

There's been a couple, the first was the realization that Rob and Brian were human just like me. "What do they got that we don't" was my mindset. I didn't limit myself.

Second, was the day I practiced the "El-Prez" about 100 times. I watched the '94 Nationals tape where Lenny taped Jerry, Rob, Doug, Brian, Mearle, Arnt and others shooting the ElPrez stage. I wouldn't be satisfied until I could get the HF's they were. I soon fiqured out the proper balance of speed and control would net those results. Now doing that consistently is another thing, but I did realize that I "had it in me".

Lately, and the most important breakthrough, is the relaxing feeling I'm getting knowing that I don't have to shoot quickly to win the match. A year or so ago Travis told me to trust my speed and I've finally realized what he was saying. I'm already fast enough so all I'm doing now is taking the time to shoot the a-zone. I'm trusting that my speed will be there and I'm making sure that I'm taking as many points along the path as possible. If you do this during an entire match, you may not win every stage (actually you might), but you'll be more relaxed and confident which translates to shooting consistently. After shooting this way for a few months, you'll wonder how the hell you ever USED to mike targets. It just so darn easy to hit the a-zone when you take the time.

for a guy that has only been doing this for 4 years and only the last 20 months or so pretty seriously, the biggest thing for me was the trusting what the sights were telling me, if I shot what I though was 2 A's go on, if I shot what I thought was a/c make the c up if points mattered much but don't look for bullet holes in the target (sure I did it too). When I quit looking for bullet holes and started trusting what I saw through the sight picture I went from 50% C class to A class in about 4 months.

Sam

My biggest breakthrough came saturday at an Italian league match.

I shot my cleanest match ever (only 6 Ds in a 10 stages - 180+ rounds match), scoring 9th overall and 85.xx% of match winner (my first M percentage ever in a major match, I'm actually a low A class).

This had been possible for several reasons.

First of all, I've been greatly helped by BE's answer to a post of mines asking on how to gather proper mind setup before shooting a stage.

It was a real eye opener.

Getting the proper mind setup before shooting, I've been (mostly) able to tell my shots at the very moment they broke: during the whole match I can vividly recall the sensation I had some 5/6 times, of seeing the front sight not properly aligned on the target while breaking the shot, and shooting a make up shot in some 0.3x seconds without even having to think of it.

Thanks BE, as I wrote in the above mentioned thread, I really needed to start shooting listening to my body instead of trying to command it what to do.

Second: I approached every stage walk-through with a new idea in mind. Up to now, I've been trying to tell the best engagement sequence by looking at other people and deciding which one was fastest. This time I wandered through the stage on my own to find the smoothest sequence; the one that would have brought me through each shooting position in such a way to be able to engage targets while stopping and/or while leaving, but without requiring me (almost) to stop at all. Thanks Flex, the introduction you wrote in SA's dryfiring book, describing Steve's footwork while shooting, helped me a lot here.

Last, I went to this match to have fun, to enjoy the shooting and the company, and didn't have any kind of expectations or goal on the final score.

Moreover, I brought to the match my new digital camera, to shoot some pictures of me and teammates shooting.

This, IMHO, was a very smart move: it kept me from over-thinking over-practicing each stage. I went on the deck with a clean and fresh mind, not corrupted by all the usual thoughts I have while walking to the deck.

Bringing to the shooting something new, that dragged my attention for most of the time, allowed my mind to be thoughts-free upon shooting.

my breakthrough from shooting october last year to december and and from june to present. (we had an election gun ban)

was to just watch my sights and trust my speed. and not to over aim. i went from 30 to 20 to 12 to 5th place.

i then started to over aim again and ended up 33rd on the last match.

trust your speed and watch your sights.

• 3 weeks later...

Back in 1999 I was C class limited shooter, and won my class at the Texas limited. That was in Sept of 99, and in May of 2000 I had my M card. I started believing in myself and started to really learn to see the front sight as I "pressed" the trigger. I had no yet started reading Brian's book, but had in on a shelf. I think the biggest thing for me was believing in myself and my ability.

Steve

I agree with Steve H - focus and confidence while shooting is definitely the way to go. TX Limited in 2001 was my first major match ( C class ), and i think i finished 97th overall - the following year i finished 11th and 3rd A, and in 2003 I finished 5th overall and 1st M. I was fortunate to have read Brian's book when I started - it helped me learn my mistakes and how to correct them, and then how to improve.

Now that I'm shooting open... I kinda have to make my own breakthrough again =].

One of the first pieces of advice ever given to me "watch your hits, speed will come later".