Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving from Polymer Gun to Steel Limited Gun

PKT1106

Hey Guys -

I decided I want to start saving for a new Limited gun. I have been looking at the STI 5.0 Edge in particular. Now, I know buy the time I save my pennies, other stuff will be out there to choose from, but my question is about the transition from a Glock/XDM/M&P shooting platforms to an STI/SVI platform. I have been shooing my XDM in Lim/Lim 10 for a couple years. I am on the verge of B Class in Lim and a solid C in Lim 10, but my question isn't about whether or not a gun will make me a better shooter, it's about the ergonomics of switching to a new platform.

You guys who have made a similar switch, please describe your experiences and any downfalls I should look out for with switching platforms. I would be needing the gun, holster and, of course, 140mm mags.

Thank you

I have found that I can switch between a XD/XDm and a 1911/2011 without a lot of trouble. Grip angle, sight index, etc are pretty similar between the platforms. The big differences are going from a 1911 trigger to a XD (or really any pivoting) trigger and having external thumb safeties. I typically shoot a SVI in USPSA and a XD in IDPA and can switch between the two platforms with minimal difficulty. I tend to use a little more trigger finger (closer to the first knuckle than the tip) when shooting a XD and my thumb is resting on my offhand vs the safety.

The other difference is, if you are shooting .40, that an Edge will have less felt recoil vs a XDM .40. Heavier gun, lower bore axis, etc.

Good luck with your switch. Limited is a blast and the Edge is a great platform.

The STI isn't really a steel limited gun. The frame might be steel but the grip is still polymer. The issues I had from switching to a Glock 24 in limited to a STI/SVI in open was the remembering I had a safety and my index. I now remember the safety but still have issues with the index. I need to do a couple thousand more draws in dry fire.

Hello: I think you will find the transition from the XDM to a 2011 very easy. You will love the better trigger and the way you can grip it so high up. That is the first thing I notice going from my XD 9 Tactical to my 2011's. The 2011 seems to flip less even with major loads for me. I would see if anyone in your area has a Edge for you to try. If so see if they will let you shoot a couple of rounds through it. You may find the Edge a little heavy coming from an XDM. You will have to decide if you like the weight or not. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I have a XDm 5.25 in 9mm that I used to shoot production with and made the mistake of purchasing a STI Edge for Limited. Now the XDm mostly sits in the safe as the STI is very sweet to shoot and will make you a better shooter :cheers: I did take the XDm out the other day and have to say it's still very nice and I actually shoot it much better now so you might get a win win out of the deal :devil:

I switched from an XDm in 9mm to an STI Tactical 5.0 also in 9mm. I like both pistols, but the switch was easy. In addition to the better trigger in the STI (and I had a very, very good trigger in my XDm - done by KS Customs), the STI is considerably more accurate. Had a bit of a challenge getting the extractor tuned on the STI in the beginning, but now it runs very well. So, for me, here are the major differences I have seen in switching from an XDm to an STI:

STI has better trigger

STI is more accurate

XDm less ammo sensitive and more reliable out of the box

XDm magazines are far less costly and less sensitive to abuse

The deciding factor for me was the fact that I am far more experienced with the "1911" type platform and just seem to be able to shoot them better than the XDm or Glock pistols.

They are all capable of providing better speed and accuracy than I am, so try them, make your decision, have fun, and switch if and when you feel like it!

• 4 weeks later...

You may want to see if you can try one... which could be easy or a pain...

I picked up a new to me 2011 (well one is inbound) and I had one offer of a Sight Tracker style. Had I not let myself fall in love with another for cosmetics etc... I would have gone that way.

I have shot a few 2011s and my wife has the XDm 5.25... the XDm is a nice gun... but not even close to a good 2011.

The mags are a lot cheaper though... everything about it is less expensive.

Don't sell yourself to a 2011, take your time and find a platform that fits you. There plenty of platforms to try, Caspian, Springfield/Para, SV steel grip, Tanfoglio, XDM 5.25 built for Limited, and 5" or 6" versions with or without a sight tracker barrel.

Rich

Don't sell yourself to a 2011, take your time and find a platform that fits you. There plenty of platforms to try, Caspian, Springfield/Para, SV steel grip, Tanfoglio, XDM 5.25 built for Limited, and 5" or 6" versions with or without a sight tracker barrel.Rich

RICH- I am looking at everything right now as I don't intend to make any purchases at least until later in the year. One of the biggest deciding factors will be the fit in my hand. I have a set of bear paws that I need a wider grip to feel comfortable with. I shoot an XDM40 in 4.5" right now and the grip is very comfortable and natural to me. Does that help you give me any advice on what I need to be looking at?

Randy

This year I started shooting a 6" gun from Akai after shooting production for one year. I love this gun and feel I am a better shooter now. That being said I think my production classification would have improved this year but I love shooting limited and love shooting a 2011. My advice would be shoot a buddies 2011 and then when you discover you love the 2011 have one built. The extra money is well worth it.

Don't sell yourself to a 2011, take your time and find a platform that fits you. There plenty of platforms to try, Caspian, Springfield/Para, SV steel grip, Tanfoglio, XDM 5.25 built for Limited, and 5" or 6" versions with or without a sight tracker barrel.Rich

RICH- I am looking at everything right now as I don't intend to make any purchases at least until later in the year. One of the biggest deciding factors will be the fit in my hand. I have a set of bear paws that I need a wider grip to feel comfortable with. I shoot an XDM40 in 4.5" right now and the grip is very comfortable and natural to me. Does that help you give me any advice on what I need to be looking at?

Randy

Look at the Springfield forged HC frame or an SV steel grip both will fill a shooters large hands.

Rich

I've had various XD's since the day I turned 21 almost 9 years ago, and have shot my newest XDm9 4.5" in production.

February I picked up a new to me 2011 built by Dave Dawson and haven't taken the XD to a match since. Not because it isn't a great firearm, but because I absolutely love the 2011 platform now. I will likely shoot Limited with the STI for the rest of this year, unless a classifier match comes on the calendar then I'll take the XDM with me.

On range day's with friends I'll generally take both and I find it very easy to switch back and forth without much trouble at all. Like another reply, my only hang up is the thumb safety, but not disengaging it on the 2011, but more trying to flip the nonexistent safety on the XD, but that generally fades after a handful of draws. I have become accustomed to using the thumb safety as a bit of a rest for my strong hand though, and almost prefer it to not having it.

As far as money goes, I barely have more in my Dawson Precision Signature 2011, 8 STI mags, 3 SPS mags and various parts since buying it used than into my XDM with Springer Precision trigger kit and guide rod, and 6 mags (all bought new).

As far as grips go, I felt the XDm with the large back strap was comparable to the 2011 in size overall.I have no measurements to back it up other than the look of what plastic is still visible when gripping each.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

I had a chance to fondle some STIs and SVs this weekend and all I can say is wow. Compared to the STI, my XDMs trigger is like a stock AR trigger. And the feel and grip were spectacular. I was seeing the front sight and indexing pretty well for never having held one before.

So, after researching here and the worldwide series of tubes, I am looking at the Dawson Super Tuned & the Brazos High Performance. Seems to be good to go with either one, but does anyone have a reason to choose one over the other?

Thank you

I looked at those two. Isn't the Brazos a little cheaper? Both are comparable in set up. I was going to go Brazos but decided to shoot the Glock for another year and save my penny's. Though I'll probably order one next year

From what I can tell, it's a toss-up between those two. Comparable features, upgrades and tuning on each of them. The Brazos is a $100 cheaper. Both come with one 126mm mag, but the Dawson comes with a shirt.

Good choice on the brazos, I have a friend that ordered 2 guns from brazos and they have both run perfectly. Another friend ordered one from Dawson and he had a problem right out of the box. The problem has since been fixed.

I got my HP Edge today (a day earlier thanks to UPS) along with a 126mm mag and the 4-pack of 140mm tuned mags. This thing looks and feels fantastic and I haven't even shot it yet.

I have the Ohio sectional this weekend, but I hope to get it to the range soon after for break-up and check-out per Brazos' supplied info. Maybe I will take it with me as a back-up gun to my XDM?