Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930, JM vs Rhythm model?

mikeAZ

How did the Factory get the extra rounds in the "Rhythm" model (12 +1)? Is it just a screw on Nordic extention tube? I've called The Phoenix distributor and they are telling me there is only a 5 round extention yet I can see there is a 8 rd extention tube, I know the Rhythm barrel is ported and 28" long... I'm assuming that the JM and the Rhythm are built on the same action.... different capacities/different barrels/ different shooter name. Is it this simple... take your JM shotgun, take end cap off add longer Nordic screw on extention tube, have 12 rounds?..(longer spring of course}. Or HOW did they do it? I have a JM on the way and a 28" barrel, so.... ( I,know OPEN class w/ the Rhythm)..

Edited by mike NM

I'm sure they'll be coming

Check with Cactus Tactical.. if the threads are the same as the other Nordic extensions.. they sell the tubes only

Having a 10 or 12 round tube doesn't put you in Open Division (in most matches), only does if you have loaded past 8+1 at the start signal

I'm building OPEN, After picking shooters brains, the advise shooter have said is to build it on 24" but they are on back order? so I couldnt wait and got a JM 22' and buying the +8 nordic tube set.Done deal! this will give me on the start up of 8+1 then on the buzzer, load 1 tube that gives me 13! perfect for open! Shooters have said that 24' has less recoil than the 22'? I have shot both in M2 benelli and couldnt tell the difference except the bruise I get on my shoulder after I shoot the damn thing:D...is tec loader the only one that can be install as speedloader? i saw a DMW aluminum bracket as speed loader, has anyone put this on their 930?

+8, That's what I thought. Since I really didn't know what I was talking about when I called them, I guess Iwasn't able to explain what I want to do. So, the +8 extention tube and spring and I'm ready to go?....With the 24" JM I could be happy with 9+1, change to the 28" ported "open" barrel w/+8 tube and be 12 + 1 with one gun not two... This were I'm trying to go. How 'bout a "Gatling" shotgun???, lot's of lead flying then!

• 3 weeks later...

There is already a thread about that video. After 20 minutes of watching, all I learned is that the 930 didn't like that brand of birdshot. Some of the ones I have seen had issues with aluminum base shells as well. A lot of people posting here have had good luck with both cheap remington and Federal in the 930. Don't let one bad U-tube video change your thinking. There are quite a few threads about the 930 in the Shotgun Technical section of the forum, mostly good reviews.

Welcome to the forum!

Sat with Don Bednorz and Jerry M at the MG Nats Awards. Jerry was trying to talk Don into coming over to the Mossberg after Don had some issues with his venerable Remington in the match. Jerry spoke very highly of the Mossberg. I know Jerry is sponsored by Mossberg and all, but I've never heard Jerry push anything he didn't believe in, and certainly not to Don who is one of the nicest guys in Multigun. Made me want to switch and I need a new tube gun like a hole in the head.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomx, while not a great test, I ran 60 rounds through my new JM last night about as fast as I could and never got it to hiccup once. I wouldn't let that video sway you one way or the other.

I´m in a huge doubt about get a 930JM or a M2.

There is a lot of issues about 930JM beside that video an not much people that shot a lot of rounds without a problem to let me trust 930JM.

Every week I look for more information and until know I can not make my mind.

Tuff decision and twice the price...

Tomx, while not a great test, I ran 60 rounds through my new JM last night about as fast as I could and never got it to hiccup once. I wouldn't let that video sway you one way or the other.

I´m in a huge doubt about get a 930JM or a M2.

There is a lot of issues about 930JM beside that video an not much people that shot a lot of rounds without a problem to let me trust 930JM.

Every week I look for more information and until know I can not make my mind.

Tuff decision and twice the price...

I Have a home built 930 and a JM930 with thousands of rounds through each and before that I had a 930 SPX. There is a 50 + page thread singing the praises of the 930. If you have the money for the M2, buy it. If you would rather buy some ammo to go with your gun then buy the JM930 for a third of the cost or at least half depending on where you are. I clean my Mossberg twice a year and it is yet to fail with anything I have run through it. If it does then I have a good idea it will be ammo related and not the function of the gun.

• 5 weeks later...

Don't believe everything on YouTube. Bid daddy hofmans vid lacked the true test guns deserve. Cheap ammo hurts. If your gun can shoot the cheap stuff and still be reliable then good you got lucky.

+1 Though you gotta give him credit. After he started running less crappy ammo through it the gun seemed to run like a champ... and he admited it. I'm liking the prospect of that JM 930. Inexpensive and it looks like its ready to go "outta the box"

• 1 month later...

My google-fu is weak. I am not finding any reviews on the Patrick Flanigan Rhythm series Mossberg.

Would the Rhythm be a terrible starter gun for someone who shoots 3gun once a year or less for fun or would it be better to wait for a JM series?

I was thinking about someday putting an xrail on it or clamping the ports & just loading to division capacity.

I do know there are some chrome & better finished parts on the JM model.

Did the question as to what tube is on the Rhythm model every get answered?

Edited by furyalecto