Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do if you CANT get to the range

Larrys1911

Ok,

Everyone knows the BEST way to improve is to LF Shoot AND Dryfire.

No question there

I can get to the range MAYBE 2 a month and those are the days I am shooting matches.

At 5PM best case I am over 125 miles from the range.

And do to the logistics of children the chances that I would have even if closer are RARE!

SO what should I be doing?

Should I burn rounds in practice after the match? Ive done that for a while and I dont think it helps much.....So...........

Larry P

Burning rounds is a waste of $ in my opinion. Just because you are putting rounds downrange doesn't mean it is helping your improve where you need it. If I were in your shoes, I'm not, I THINK I would focus on dry fire and show up early for the match and practice before the match a few things. Practicing after the match wouldn't do me much good. Being that far from a range would get me loking for somewhere to shoot. I complain about the 10 minutes it takes me to get to a shooting area.

Burning rounds won't do much good. But, if you can isolate some things from the match (and others) that you need to work on, then some extra range time after the match would be fine.

I'd be especially sure to keep a log, define what yuo are going to work on, what you hope to accomplish, do a post script of what you actually accomplished.

Be specific in your goals and you shooting.

Simple visualization has worked for me in the past year, and worked well. Get your mind used to "seeing" certain things and the take-up during live fire seems to accellerate (sp?). Due to my rather erratic work schedule, this has become quite important.

Your milage might vary.

And do to the logistics of children the chances that I would have even if closer are RARE!

It's always puzzled me why shooting can't be a family affair on occassion. Maybe it's time for your family to put their priorities on the back burner for a change and root you on for a day.

(But I'm still single, so what the hell do I know....?)

It's always puzzled me why shooting can't be a family affair on occassion.

Eric,

I'd love to get shooting a family affair.

Reality is that if you have a wife who's not interested in shooting (I don't mean she's unfavourable, just it doesn't interest her) and a small kid (mine is 4), bringing the family into a quarry some miles away from every comfort you can imagine, where there is lack of any kind of social relationship due to a high background noise, chances of spending a nice day of family entertainment are really few.

If you add the fact that, if you're serious about your training, you need to practice repeatedly on "boring" drills without distraction, and this won't add much fun even to a wife or a kid who like shooting. :(

I'm lucky. My 7 year old daughter likes to be my RO and scorer during my practice sessions. My knees really appreciate the help shagging brass.

Since I started her out shooting recently with a P-22, now I'm hearing "is it my turn yet" WAY TOO OFTEN. Of course that's also a good thing. B)

I was out there alone yesterday and discovered the .22 will knock over the plates on our plate rack. I think she'll like that.

If I was in your shoes, I'd set up a few drills from Steve Andersons book and shoot them live fire style.

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

If you can't get to the range often enough, make the most of the time you have available (i.e. at home) and spend it dry firing, doing reloads, target acquistions and TRANSITIONS. Get Steve Anderson's book and you'll be very impressed with the results.

Too, Matt's idea isn't bad either. Despite what folks think about CA, we are blessed with at least two matches a week (even if it is going to be 100 today <_< ). Mental sanity is a great motivation to move (it's why I left Arizona and KC and returned home to California). If your hobby (i.e. means of mental sanity) is shooting, you should seriously discuss with the fam, the possibility of being within a proximity of a range that will allow you to find that solice.

If that doesn't work...dry fire some mo'.

Rich

I haven't fired a live round in practice since I went back to College 3 years ago. I dry-fire a TON though. I cleaned up the garage so I could set-up a few "IPSC like" stages and practice different things that I thought I needed work on. I also bought me a good match grade pellet pistol and I do a lot of precision shooting (shooting quarter sized "dots" at roughly 6 yards) paying extra attention to my sight pictures and trigger movement.

My scores have improved greatly and my time spent at the reloading press has been reduced (always a good thing). ;)

Who said playing "pretend" is only for little kids. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

If you have sutable yard space and the neibors dont go nuts .air soft guns are the way to go.I dont have a sutible practice range right now so my practice is limeted to dry fire air soft work in the back yard and the weekly indoor match.

Maybe there is an indore match near you.

Johnnie

Dry fire will suffice, once you have learned to call your shots, and once you know what you need to see to make the shot.

Dry fire will teach you excellent gunhandling skills in the beginning of your development, and keep them sharp once you've progressed, but you've got to know where the bullet went when the gun fires.

Different shooters will need different amounts of live fire, and limited will likely require more than open...

The other problem is this: If you only live fire once a month or so, you open yourself up to trying too hard or shooting too much, then you have a month to beat yourself up over a bad practice session.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I followed Matt B's advice and moved closer to the range. :)

SA

i think it's been said quite a few times already

dry fire, dry fire, dry fire

rarely do i actually go to a shooting range - and burn rounds... fortunately living in houston - theres about 2-3 club matches a week within an hours drive.

- running a variety of drills including

- do what powerman said (kick it up a notch, imagine scenarious where you have to crouch, shoot around a barricade, kneel, position to position... etc.. and if u do that... make sure ya stretch <_< )

- repetition

if none of these work for ya - u can always build yourself a nice indoor shooting range in ur backyard :blink: