Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 Baggage thefts/day at JFK

I dont know about JFK, But last October my wife and I got married in Henderson, NV. It is near Las Vegas. It is where my parents live. We live in NY. Anyway I had my best man setup my bachelor party as an outing to a full auto range and we got a party plan of 5 full auto guns to shoot.

Anyway I brought my KRISS Vector and Keltec Sub2000 along for the ride. I followed the airline's protocol (Delta Airlines). I flew out of Westchester County Airport. After my arrival at McCarran Int'l Airport in Vegas I went to claim my luggage. Delta Airlines holds onto your firearm until AFTER everyone has claimed their luggage. Then they personally hand carry your firearm to you. I asked why this was, and they said it is due to thefts in the past. This way they can be absolutely sure that only the appropriate owner gets his or her luggage back. With regards to something sensitive like a firearm.

When I returned to Westchester Airport the airline baggage handler's repeated the process.

Edited by Solscud007

I dont know about JFK, But last October my wife and I got married in Henderson, NV. It is near Las Vegas. It is where my parents live. We live in NY. Anyway I had my best man setup my bachelor party as an outing to a full auto range and we got a party plan of 5 full auto guns to shoot.

Anyway I brought my KRISS Vector and Keltec Sub2000 along for the ride. I followed the airline's protocol (Delta Airlines). I flew out of Westchester County Airport. After my arrival at McCarran Int'l Airport in Vegas I went to claim my luggage. Delta Airlines holds onto your firearm until AFTER everyone has claimed their luggage. Then they personally hand carry your firearm to you. I asked why this was, and they said it is due to thefts in the past. This way they can be absolutely sure that only the appropriate owner gets his or her luggage back. With regards to something sensitive like a firearm.

When I returned to Westchester Airport the airline baggage handler's repeated the process.

anyone know if this is a common practice with any other carriers???

The fact that they go after the expensive luggage confirms my reasoning that I continue to use an old, beat up suitcase that has a large tear in it as well as an exterior compartment zipper missing. It is unlikely that anyone would look twice at it...unless they happened to see the scan of it as it went ythrough TSA. I also do not put any external locks on the suitecase.

what good does that do when it is the baggage handlers and TSA agents that are doing the stealing ? And for that matter how are they even suppossed to know what bags have guns ? There are not supposed to be any markings on the outside.

Edited by Joe4d

I've been told that there are usually other baggage xray machines at some airports. Presumably bags can be xrayed between TSA and the plane, out of public view. Then anyone could see what's in them before they go on the plane. I don't know if this information is accurate, but it would explain a lot of things.

anyone know if this is a common practice with any other carriers???

I flew Southwest a couple weeks ago w/ a 52" Starlight case- 3 gun gear inside. At both baggage claims, Southwest retrieved my case as soon as it came off the carousel and I had to show ID to claim it. I appreciate their care for my gear.

When I travel with a handgun, I run a steel cable through the magwell and ejection port and lock the gun to the suitcase. This gives me assurance that any baggage handler taking my gun must either be skilled at picking a "real lock", have tools to cut a steel cable, or be willing to take my entire 49 lb suitcase. It also allows me to have the gun inside a TSA locked hard case and still available for TSA inspection without giving TSA the ability to easily remove the gun from the suitcase.

This cable trick also works to attach the gun to parts of hotels, car trunks, etc.

its a total JOKE, the rash of shit that we get from TSA and the airline staff at airports, and then their employees go and rip our stuff off after we hand it over to them when its in the back out of view. And the airlines has the nerve to tell us that they're not responsible for any thefts or missing luggage. BS.

I put my handguns in a Pelican case which is then chained with a thick steel chain to the inside of the suitcase. Regular padlocks are on the Pelican. If they want my gun then they'll have to either take the whole heavy suitcase or break out the bolt cutters.

Sorry to tell you guys but TSA can do anything they want. I have a few friends who work as TSA. I referred to one good friend on firearm protocol when I flew out. There is an initial inspection. If you lock it with a non TSA lock, the second screening X-ray could give them cause to go in. They have free reign. They will cut the locks. I had that happen on a pie e of luggage not firearm related. TSA locks will keep out prying eyes of baggage handlers. The thefts are more than likely sticky fingers from people at baggage claim.

I remember growing up in LA, the LAX airport would check baggage with your claim ticket. But they don't do that anymore. There is nothing to stop them.

I've had my bags detained when flying into McCarran Int'l Airport in Vegas for the Nationals, but never anywhere else, and I've flown with guns at least 7 or 8 times. Not sure which carrier I was flying on, but they pulled my bag and held it in the baggage claim office before it even went on the belt.

Kinda freaked me out because I didn't know & naturally kept looking for my bags on the baggage claim belt & eventually started stressing out big time. I'm the type who wont ask for help until I'm 100% sure I need it, so I didnt go to the claim office until after about 30 minutes when I could tell for sure my bags weren't coming out. They were very professional & asked for a claim ticket & ID to prove ownership of the firearm/bags. It was kind of refreshing, especially considering it was a mid-price LTD gun. I wish more airlines did that.