Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5" versus 6" Limited Guns

DeerfieldCurly

I split the difference and got a 5.4" Infinity with a lightened slide and a bushing barrel to keep weight out of the front of the gun. I liked the balance of the 5.4 best. Plus my 5.4" will fit the box for IPSC so I can use it for almost everything. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer however.

Take the weight off the front as much as possible. Total weight is about 36 oz. with slide about 11 oz. This is what a light 5" weights. Remember a 1911 is recoil orperated so heavier is slower but some want slow and some fast.

I've been mentoring two new shooters one running a 6" (Benny Hill built it) and one running a 5" Executive. They are both on the verge of making B class now. The interesting part is each thinks the others gun is better. Yes the 5" guy wants a 6" and the 6" guy wants a 5". Go Figure. I'm greedy I want both.

Heavy or light may not just be your preference, it may be your skill level that is driving your preferences. Just like recoil springs, when I started a 14# was it, as I developed more skill I went to a 12# to get that cycle speed up, and keep the gun flatter.

The one thing I am sure of is there is no disadvantage in a 6" gun, I can't think of a single one, and the best of the best are built in Corpus Christi TX. I will own a 6" before it is all done, right after I get a new open shotgun. :devil:

• 3 weeks later...

I've been running a 5" Para for years and I love the gun, I just recently purchased a Camerons Custom 6" limited gun and I'm amazed so far. The extra sight radius deffinatly helps on tight shots and it tracks just as well if not better than my Para. Granted I have a Heavy Tungsten Guide rod in the Para. I love them both but there are deffinatly advantages to the 6".

I too purchased a Camerons Custom 6". I have a heavy dustcover 5" Bedell also. The 5" used to be my favorite gun I owned, now its the big 6.

You can't go wrong with either one. Look at what Nils Jonasson shoots, a 5", and he is winning a lot of matches. Its mostly personal preference.

The 6" gave me confidence at longer targets, especially steel. The 5" doesn't look like it flips as much, but I can shoot the 6" just as fast.

Shoot both side by side and then see what you like.

Randy

I have the same story with the same guns as redwoods. I'm digging my Cameron's 6". It's as light as my 5" and I have tons more confidence on long shots and steel. :cheers:

Edited by a matt

• 9 months later...

I find it odd, that most of the people using 5" guns are shooting heavy slide/heavy frame guns, 40+ ounces. The people using 6" guns lightened slides/standard frames, 35+ ounces. Those are not direct comparisons.

Good point. So what is the problem with 40 ounce 6" guns? Anyone?

eric

my 5" is 37.9oz vs my 6" is 40oz thats with the gogun thumb rest attached...

my 5" is alittle faster in the transition but my 6" is alittle more accurate. But, I'm still tuning the guns to group shots tighter ... my tuning test is 5yrds and do double taps, without looking @ the sights ... just point and shoot and see how close they are...

Edited by RippSpeed

PJ,

You are just sucking up by saying that.......and I appreciate it because I agree with you on the answer. It really does provide the best of both worlds at this point and it fits in the IPSC box too. With the cuts in the slide, frame and mobius cutout on the grip, it weighs the same as my 5 inch sight tracker. The difference is the weight is more nose heavy compared to my other sight tracker.

My gunsmith Jimmy Vidanes just finished a 6" Frame 5" Slide and 1" Blank Comp (no hole) with the front sight mounted on it ... pretty nice cycles like a 5" but sight radius of a 6" ... only thing is its kinda nose heavy... more than my 6"