Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you clean brass?

mmosur

New to reloading and wonder how often you veterans clean brass. After each time it's used? If so, why? Or just if the outer casing starts getting dirty from the ground, bullet lube, etc. Any pointers here would be appreciated.

What am I looking for with cleaning? Is the purpose of cleaning to get the inner casing clean or the outer casing clean?. Again, I'm new to reloading so I want to be sure I'm not missing any safety steps. Most of the brass I fire once still seems very clean at least on the outside and it would seem I can run it through the press a second time at least with no issues. Is this wrong or dangerous?. I want to be sure I know all the reasons for cleaning as I'm guessing it's not just to make the brass look pretty and shiny.

You are cleaning the outside of the case to remove dirt, soot, whatever accumulates on the outside after firing when it hits the ground. You don't have to clean brass at all, but it definitely makes reloading a lot easier. It also makes it easier to spot cracks and splits in the brass. As you reload it time after time, brass can split/crack.

I go for shinny, but just for aesthetic reasons, yes, I'm anal. So I clean my brass before it goes to the reloading station.

Use corn cob media I get from a large pet supply store, guess they use it for animal bedding or something, add a splash of low odor mineral spirits and Nu-Finish car wax. Also throw in strips of used drier sheets to collect some of the dust tumbling creates.

Brass is cleaned before reloading because the dirt on the cases will scratch the carbide insert in the die. Once scratched, it will scratch the cases. These scratches could cause the case walls to thin and prematurely split.

The only thing to worry about on the inside of the case is gravel or other debris that can brake off the decapping pin.

Edited by Action Pistolero

You don't have to clean brass. You could wipe them off and run'em. Many years ago I didn't have a tumbler when I started, I certainly didn't run the volume that we are shooting now though. Once fired Brass picked up off a concrete floor? No problem.

I have containers for different caliber brass. When I get a large amount then I run it for a couple of hours. I found a large box of 40 brass (3K) from several area matches that I worked in 2010 and did it four batches.

Most of the brass I fire seems very clean

Mosur, what caliber/load are you shooting?

When I shot only .41 revolver, the brass never hit the

ground, I reloaded on a single stage press, and I used

to wipe the brass individually with the lube - cleaned

and lubed at the same time.

Now that I shoot 9mm outside, I run it all thru a case

cleaner and clean everything mechanically.

I'm shooting mostly 40, 45, 38 special right now. Appreciate all the comments. Like Action Pistolero mentioned, I wasn't sure if dirt or such could affect the die and then in turn weaken or damage future brass. I guess a little time cleaning is worth it.

My brass gets tumbled every time I shoot it. Getting the dirt off saves the dies.

For grungy range pickup stuff the procedure is more involved. I deprime 45 cases with a 44 Mag expander die with a decapper pin (the die is big enough so the brass isn't resized.) Then I boil them in a water / salt / vinegar solution to get the crud out. Rinse, dry, inspect, the they go into the "to be tumbled" bucket along with my regular brass.

Brass is cleaned before reloading because the dirt on the cases will scratch the carbide insert in the die. Once scratched, it will scratch the cases. These scratches could cause the case walls to thin and prematurely split.

The only thing to worry about on the inside of the case is gravel or other debris that can brake off the decapping pin.

carbide dies would be very hard to scratch.

I tumble before loading so they will be pretty