Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9# spring or less?

Ofishl1

So the previous owner said he ran a 9# recoil spring in my 38super, I took it out and set it next to a new one, and there 3 coils diff between the new an the old,....would this mean the old one could be a 7-8# spring, or just compressed from use??

wolff9.jpg

Edited by Ofishl1

My take is that it is just compressed from use, but…..What I have found is that it is nearly impossible to tell what a spring’s exact poundage is without actually measuring it with a scale of some type.

I have tried counting coils, measuring wire diameter, relying on what the spring package is marked, etc. and it seems like they are all only approximations. Making or getting a hold of a spring measuring gizmo is highly recommended if you have any questions about a spring, or have a box full of springs and have lost track of what poundages they are. :rolleyes: Do a search as there are some good threads on making or buying a spring gauge.

Just compressed. Why worry about it? Just try the 9# spring you already bought, and see how you like it. If you like it, thats all that really matters! If you DONT like it, then try an 8 # spring (which is what I use in my gun).

I like a Wolff 7# variable in my STI Open gun. :cheers:

If this is in fact a 9# spring that came out of the gun as the seller said, running full power loads it spits brass into the parking lot...even though the old spring is compressed, it has less 3 less coils than the new Wolff, it has more coils so I am thinking I will get more of the same. Maybe the old one is a 7-8 pound spring already.:unsure:

I will check the wire diameters and I like the suggestions of going down a pound or so and check the feel....

thx O

There is also a rumor that shooters have cut coils off of springs then forget what weight it was or how many coils were cut off. I also remember a thread about a spring tester that found springs seldom weighed what was on the package.

There is also a rumor that shooters have cut coils off of springs then forget what weight it was or how many coils were cut off. I also remember a thread about a spring tester that found springs seldom weighed what was on the package.

Yea, I read that thread in detail, all I have to go by is whats on the package, so then it becomes about ejection and feel, is the gun diving when it closes, how long its open etc...

thx, O1

You could try physically weighing the two springs individually on a scale? If the old one was just compressed, it should weigh the same as the new one. Or is my logic off?

If it has coils cut off, then of course all bets are off.

A new spring will always be longer than a used spring. A 9# or 10# is common although I ran into a guy running a 15# spring in an open gun, his gun wouldn't run with a 9#. Some 8's and 7's around, of 4 open guns I have one that will run reliably with an 8#, it is nice n lose, it will run with gravel in it. It don't matter how good the spring feels or how the dot moves if the darn thing won't run.

The only reason to cut coils is spring bind, so always check for that. You should be able to press the guide rod all the way till it contacts the guide rod plug, if not you got coil bind, and the easiest answer to that is IMSI springs, the wire in them is thinner. This won't make sense to shooters, but ask any Stock Car driver and he will tell you, to make a spring stiffer remove some of the coils. I learned that back in 1965 running a 55 Chev around a dirt track! In an open gun it just lessens the tension when the breach is closed, and it is splitting hairs in my opinion. But aren't most open shooters OCD?

Some shooters like variable other std, just like Blondes and Brunettes, I like the Red Heads. Same goes for 8,9,10, it is more of a preference, unless the gun just won't run with the lighter spring.

Take it out try a 9 and a 10 figure out which one feels good then throw a fresh one in about every 10k.

Personally I use IMSI, the Wolf's don't seem to hold up very long, I had to change them about every 5k to keep the gun feeling good, with the IMSI I go about 10K. YMMV

Mag spring about 6 months, use Grams, in the 10 paks.

Edited by CocoBolo

Generally means the slide is retracting with a higher than normal velocity, which means the ejector is hitting the case head harder, which means the case will be ejected more briskly, which means greater distance.

Heavier spring will lower final slide velocity.

Generally means the slide is retracting with a higher than normal velocity, which means the ejector is hitting the case head harder, which means the case will be ejected more briskly, which means greater distance.

Heavier spring will lower final slide velocity.

And you are sure that is a good thing?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not claiming it's a good thing, just that it won't throw brass as far with a heavier spring. Personally, I don't care where the brass goes - as long as it's out of the gun - while I care that the gun runs 100%. That is how I pick my own spring pressure.