Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 cal Which Powder?

beachcop

Okay....Im back again for some input. I've basiclly got everything but my powder selection down for low recoiling .40/ 180 grn loads. Any suggestions between Titegroup and Power Pistol. I'm not worried about making major power factor, but I do keep seeing alot of feedback on Titegroup running high pressures in .40 cal. Just don't want to overdo my brass in my Glock 35.

i've never used titegroup.

power pistol is generally NOT low recoil. I use it for training with defense loads.

I load 40 with clays or n320. Clays is great for minor loads. N320 costs 1/2 cent or so more per bullet, and is great for minor and major loads.

I personally can't feel any difference between clays and n320 at the same PF.

There are many many powders that will great if you're not trying to load to max velocity. depends to some extent on who sells what nearby. One think i like about clay's, power pistol and n320 is they all fill up the case pretty well, so a double-charge, or even a significant overcharge is pretty obvious on visual inspection.

Edited by motosapiens

I totally agree with Mark R. Do Not use regular Clays for major loads in

a Glock 35. I say regular Clays, because there are 3 Clays powder. Clays,

International Clays and Universal Clays.

I shoot with guys that load Clays in 40sw, but they load them long out to

around 1.225 to help keep the pressure down.

I use VV N320 in my STI 40sw and load it to 1.185 and it works great.

I also have a Glock 35 that I play around with in Production. But, I load

it with WST powder. The issue with WST is its an Inverse powder and the

colder the outside temp the hotter the load. In Production I give myself

enough room to deal with both cold and hot outside temps to get a minor PF.

There has to be some shooters that shoot Major in a Glock 35. If not answered

here maybe you could go to a Glock website and find someone there with a good

powder and load. Good Luck.

I load using power pistol it is a bit snappy & by it also being a .40cal they seem to have a nice amount of recoil in a 180gr xtp or Mg bullets. I recomend you choose a powder and practice with your loads. Experiment with powders.. Good luck and be safe.

I shoot limited major with a Glock 22 and a KKM precision barrel to allow use of lead bullets. That KKM barrel really loves a lead bullet too. My favorite loads are 3.9 of titegroup and 4.1 of VV 320 loaded at 1.135 with a 180 grain lead bullet. Either one shoots great but titegroup is a little more smokey. I've loaded some of those same lead 180's with 5.8 grains of power pistol and that is NOT a low recoil round. I've also loaded some 40 minor with clays and 180 grain bullets and that is fun round to shoot.

I think some missed the OP's original idea of NOT worrying about making major. Cannot help with those 2 particular powders at minor PF though. Seems I usually hear about those powders with major loads.

I pretty much am old school and use WSF for minor. Also makes a good major load in my 35. Not a powder puff load as far as power factor, but right now I am runnning 5grns WSF and 180grn Precision Delta FMJ. Clocked 843fps for 151PF at FL Open. Was trying same behind 165 the other day and really liked it- most likely about 134PF. I like the volume of the powder even at these lower charges. Don't like smaller powder charges not filling enough of the case.

I do not use Titegroup - it burns too hot and has too many fine particles. I prefer the ball powders with very uniform paricle size such as WST for mild oads (725 to 775 fps) and WSF for full power loads.

• 2 weeks later...

I use titegroup and have never had any issues. It meters well and is very consistent. Last week at the SC state match I had the following on the Chrono: 962, 960, 965 FPS. with a 173 PF. I have rarely seen chrono results with such a small spread. +/- 3 FPS! That to me is pretty sweet!

• 2 weeks later...

Titegroup here as well for 40 minor/major, as well as W231 and N320.

Had absolutely no problems with any of the powders and have great results with TG/231 bulk loading them for practice shooting. Their price is such that I'll continue to use them as well. Some people complain they are a tad dirty, but depending on your cleaning practices you won't even notice.

For the budget, Solo 1000 and Tite Group (I don't personally have experience with WST but I hear it's good stuff!). For the best stuff out there (in my opinion) N320 will probably win the polls. Just take into account each powders weakness and pick accordingly. Solo 1000's weakness is reverse temp sensitivity, Tite Group when put under lead bullets smokes like a forest fire and N320 is well, expensive and sometimes tricky to get your hands on!

I will throw HP-38 in the hat. I have used it in 9mm and 45 and will be soon reloading 40 and i will use it there to. I use it 90% of the time in the practice and local match ammo and save the N320 for the larger matches. HP-38 is cheap and readily available or if u can't find it use 231.

I've been loading Power Pistol in 9 and 40 for almost 2 years and have been real happy with it overall. Though, recently started experimenting with TiteGroup, it takes less powder to make the same velocity and the recoil impulse seems lighter. Loading low recoil loads it would probably be even lighter