Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Nation Pro Series Targets

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asked them on FB about ranges and pasters, here is there reply...

For 3GN Pro Series matches, we will have red and black pasters on-hand. And no, we won't be using these at long-range, just distances extended past mere "hosing" ranges.

Having to paste mid-range targets out to 50 yd.s from the shooting area can really slow down a match. I prefer to use the smaller 1/2 size "Metric" targets set closer to the stage similar to BRM3G and RM3G. Shots are just as demanding with a quicker tape & reset cycle. 2 minutes per shooter can make a big difference.

That said, we gotta remember that with 3GN creating quality TV footage will sometimes take priority over how the match runs. I doubt they'll see these targets used much outside of their matches.

Just my $.02...

Am I reading Section 3 that the longest range rifle target will be 100 yards? Or is that specific to that event.

I heard that it was to be typical and that the LR shots out at 200+ didn't make good footage. It would be another good question for Rob & Chad.

Am I reading Section 3 that the longest range rifle target will be 100 yards? Or is that specific to that event.

Chuck, the 3GN rules apply only to the 3GN produced matches. 100 yards is it for St Augustine and Covington. There is no way they could talk Sheldon into pulling targets in to 100 at Texas Multigun! :)

It's a big target, with a big scoring area, and very minor penalties for misses. I'd prefer the good ol' head & shoulders target, but I understand why they are using these.

It could be worse- they could be using ZOMBIE targets...

Dumbing down the sport of 3-gun for TV, shocker!

You know, with the max distance at 100 you could almost shoot the match with a pistol caliber carbine with a dot. No need for figuring out ballistic trajectories or the need for scopes with raning reticles an throw levers.

Edited by TMC

Dumbing down the sport of 3-gun for TV, shocker!

You know, with the max distance at 100 you could almost shoot the match with a pistol caliber carbine with a dot. No need for figuring out ballistic trajectories or the need for scopes with raning reticles an throw levers.

Except for Texas, Pro-Am, and FNH. Of course, nothing to say a guy couldn't use a different rifle for each match.

Edited by Bryan 45

I'm trying to decide whether to fire one round or two.

There will be NO room for penalties in the top 64.

I'm thinking two dozen splits won't equal 2.5 seconds for a miss on a near preferation hit...

Edited by DyNo!

Not so much as dumbing down, as it is "Politically Correct" targets. It is going to be on NBC sports.

If you want the sport to to mainstream then the Metric target has to go. Why is the shape of the target so important? who cares? As long as I can see it and it has scoring zones clearly marked. This is a game after all.

I'm trying to decide whether to fire one round or two.

There will be NO room for penalties in the top 64.

I'm thinking two dozen splits won't equal 2.5 seconds for a miss on a near preferation hit...

Wrong Cameron. There will be no room for penalties in the top 50 or so! The other 14 of us will have a few! :roflol:

Edited by Bryan 45

What a great opportunity for a target company to place it's product directly in front of prospective consumers. They might get a little chunk of the metric target market share. I think 3GN finding another way to sell someone's stuff in exchange for the $$$ is as likley to be the origin of these targets as being politically correct, or good for TV. I have to tip my hat to them, these guys are capitalists.

I like the metric targets better, but since it is just at the 3GN matches, and not likley to bleed over to the other majors, not a big deal.

Edited by Lead-Head

So what are no shoots going to look like?

Also

RIFLE: Competitor's rifle can engage round steel and reactive paper targets.

OFFICIAL RIFLE TARGETS :

10” & 4” Round MGM knock down plates (50yds-150’ min to 100yds-300’ max) target range.

The 3GN official Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-See Paper Target (17.25” black scoring circle and an 8” red center circle)

(3yds-9’ min to 100yds-300’ max)

so looks like 300 yards is the MAX

Edited by DocMedic

So what are no shoots going to look like?

Also

RIFLE: Competitor's rifle can engage round steel and reactive paper targets.

OFFICIAL RIFLE TARGETS :

10” & 4” Round MGM knock down plates (50yds-150’ min to 100yds-300’ max) target range.

The 3GN official Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-See Paper Target (17.25” black scoring circle and an 8” red center circle)

(3yds-9’ min to 100yds-300’ max)

so looks like 300 yards is the MAX

100 yards = 300 feet = Max listed in the rules.

My dumbing down comment was about the lack of rifle targets past 100 yards. As for the circle, eh...target are targets

Exactly how is a 4" steel target at 100 yds "dumbing down" anything?

think about it for a while

sooo....no paper targets past 100 yards?

can there be like falling steel targets or reactive steel targets out past 100 yards?

OR....just no targets period dot past 100?

instead of being politically correct and adding a new cardboard target, why not go with a reactive target...I mean...if they are looking for a spectator friendly target.