Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Grip Help

Chuck D

After YEARS of shooting 1911's and revolvers only, I have been given (as a gift) a Glock 21 and a 17 and I plan on using them in IPSC/USPSA Production Division. One problem though...I suffer from "slide bite". The slide eats up my strong hand pretty good (probably because I've got "paws" for hands).

I refuse to believe that I won't be able to enjoy these two pistols because I can't seem to grip them in a way that won't allow the slides to eat by hands up. :angry:

Question for those that shoot both 1911's and Glocks...how do YOU deal with "slide bite ?" Any and all suggestions/help would be GREATLY appreciated. ;)

You should be able to place your hand as high as possible on the grip without experiencing "the bite", try a couple of adjustments holding with your strong hand and rack the slide with your weak hand. And just in case . . . make sure both of your thumbs are on the same side of the pistol. I shoot everything from a mini 26 to a 34 and have no problems.

I'd say send your gun to Robar, but that's a no no for IPSC/USPSA. Rob Leatham had Robar put a beavertail on his XD for this very reason, I believe.

You could try making some type of "memory bump" and sticking it under your grip tape (and just hope nobody has an extra $100 in protest money floating around their range bag). I made a memory bump for my G19 out of some cork material for the same reason. After a while, the problem solved itself and I ditched the bump.

Chuck,

I used to have the same problem. Oddly enough it went away after I picked one (Glock) and practiced --- to paraphrase Steve Anderson. You may find that EricW Tru-grit grip tape will help the gun lock into your hand as you're shooting --- but basically you're gonna have to start fitting the gun into your hand slowly, until you get used to how it's supposed to feel when the grip is as high as it can get without really biting you. You'll know that you've achieved the perfect grip, when you don't feel any pain after shooting the first stage, but you look at your hand and discover that the slide rails have left two parallel grease streaks on the skin, where they just kissed it as the slide cycled.....

i've built up a beavertail that works at stoping my hand from getting bit. you could also try... you know i don't know what thay call it my wife gave it to me. but it's like foam grip tape, it's real thin but if you but some on the back of the frame it might froce your hand down that last bit to stop the slide from hitting you

Chuck D, I also have pretty wide hands and use a grip as high as you can when shooting a glock, both thumb nails are as high as the top of the slide. When I first moved over to shooting a Glock I was getting pretty torn up. The first week I started shooting the glock we went on a training trip to Blackwater. We shot around 800 rounds a day for 5 days. It was so bad that I had blood and skin all the way up under the slide as far forward as the locking block. Pretty nasty. Anyhow.....I didn't so much change my grip as I did the way I come into the gun. Meaning, when you draw the gun, come up the backstrap instead of down onto it. It's not as big of a change as you might think in your draw stroke. A few hundred draws and you should have it down. :D Good luck

Jason

I have shot 1911's and Glocks for years. I can't ever remember being "bitten" by a slide. Being used in production doesn't help, since no external mods allowed. You could build up the grip to slightly lower your grip. Unless you were kicking everyones butts in matches i doubt anyone would say much. Don't try it at a major match. ;) Over time you could ween yourself from it as memory will have taken over your grip. TXAG

• 6 months later...

As Matt said, you can simply break the edge on the corner of the slide. It will help.

Technically, I don't think that it's allowed in Production, but I won't object if I was shooting with you. :D Simply dehorning sharp edges is not a performance enhancement that gives you an unfair advantage IMO. It just keeps you from bleeding on your pistol.

I borrowed a guys G17 for last years Bolivian Nats, and bled the whole match. For produstion I am not sure there's much you can do, and moving down to get a "Charlie's Angels" grip doesn't seem like a good option.

My problem was / is that when I really grab onto the gun and get high up in there, the skin in the web of my hand wrinkles, making this little hump that gets bit. IT helped a little when I put some white tape or bandaids there, they kept things from lumping up as much.

good luck.

Anyhow.....I didn't so much change my grip as I did the way I come into the gun. Meaning, when you draw the gun, come up the backstrap instead of down onto it. It's not as big of a change as you might think in your draw stroke. A few hundred draws and you should have it down.

Ditto, I incorpored this movement into my drawstroke after my (customized) Ballester Molina literally took a chunk out of the web of my hand, that happended in march 2004 and I still have the scar.

You could also adapt your grip to the Glock by gripping it with the slide open, that way you ensure you grip it in a way the slide won't bite you.

i run a full race glock 24 and i had to take a small file to the edges of my slide bottom/rear. then used 600 emery to smooth everything out. sometimes it still rubs, but no blood......a little vasaline on the area of your hand after the smoothing mods would keep you blood free as well...