Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I failed as RO

BurdDawg69

For a single squad to have five DQ's in one match, something severe is wrong. Maybe there were some stages poorly designed that contributed.

That was my thoughts, or else the RO is extremely observant!

Same here. Even a poorly designed stage doesn't get 5 people to incur a DQ. Sounds like there were definite DQs... however in my experience... while moving with the shooter and keeping focused on the muzzle it is sometimes difficult to actually determine where the 180 degree points are during the COF. I won't issue a DQ unless it is VERY clear. Hate to say it but I can't tell the difference between 180 and 182 during a field course. Close isn't enough to get a DQ... you have to be certain. You can always warn a shooter that they were close to the 180 after they shoot. Another god reason to make sure people don't crown the shooters starting position. I find myself always asking people to move back prior to the buzzer....

If you are certain they broke the 180... gotta give the DQ. It almost feels worse to not give a good DQ call than to give one. I've done both.

I won't issue a DQ unless it is VERY clear. Hate to say it but I can't tell the difference between 180 and 182 during a field course. Close isn't enough to get a DQ... you have to be certain.

Jay covered this in my RO class. He said something like: I've never DQ'd a shooter for breaking the 180. However, I've DQ'd plenty for breaking the 190, 205, 270 . . .

Similar thing happened to me. When I first started ROing and one of the first matches after my training a shooter lost control of a loaded handgun when trying to clear a malfunction inside a car. The gun bounced all over the place in the passenger seat.

I stopped her and unloaded the gun, my next action should of been to DQ her and move on. Instead I asked the MD what should happen. In this case, the girl was very upset and crying. The MD and asst MD decided not to DQ her and get her back shooting again to 'shake it off.'

I'll always remember this and never forget. I think the MD and asst MD made a huge mistake here, but I take greater responsibility because I shouldn't have looked to them for an answer when the DQ was that obvious. Had I DQd her, they likely would of stood by my decision. FWIW, the shooter didn't even want to continue because she was so upset.

This situation comes to mind everytime I RO someone now, and I have no compuction about issuing a DQ. Give nothing to the shooter and take nothing away, treat them like you expect to be treated and fear not. Issuing a DQ is a good wake up call.

Edited by Onagoth

• 2 weeks later...

First you did not fail as an RO.You are learning and getting better skilled it takes time.Don't worry about DQ ing shooters that is what you have to do when they earn it.

But if you are going to DQ some body make sure they earned it.We need ROs and they have to learn from there mistakes to get better.Get certified and stick with it.

It will help you in your shooting in the longrun.Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the tips. I was in a position that i CLEARLY saw the 200+ break but i was i guess" in shock" that I didnt respond fast enough. the stage only had 4 shots left on paper after he did it and it was over before i knew it...I am looking into the Ro classes.

the only thing that bothered me is that I wasnt confident enought yet to issue the DQ. I have talked to my club president and we are looking into getting more people including me into a R.O. class so that next time we have a better coverage of certified ROs. Like sarge said the worst thing would be having to explain to someones family that a loved one got hurt becasue I didnt do my job as RO properly. I learned today that the guy /gal might be upset with me for DQing them, but their families would be more upset if I didnt DQ them and something tragic happened. either to the shooter or soemone else. Mistakes dont just affect the shooter It affects everyone involved..DQs arent personal!!! Im learning.

I would like to clear a couple things up. I was not in any way shape or form forced or roped or made to be the RO. I took charge as I thought I was experienced enough to run the squad. But I didnt know that I had 3 new shooters on my squad till after the first stage. Hind sight is 20/20, i Know now that there is alot more to ROing a squad that I hadnt experienced until today. As for the stages, they were fine, My squad was the only group that any of the shooters hade any saftey issues.

I find it disturbing that the MD would allow a squad without a certified RO. Maybe they should have combined into larger squads. This is an important safety issue.

Edited by Floyd D. Barber

It sounds like the Staff at the match, the MD and whoever does registration need to get more involved. A squad list is a cop out. Squadding is the worst job at a local match with embedded ROs. I know, I do it every month. One needs to accommodate all teh friends that want to shoot together, BUT one must still make sure the squads are going to run and that they will run safely. Each squad needs to have a minimum of two competent people.

One other thing, one of many perhaps, all New Shooters must be safety checked and they should NEVER all be placed on one squad, particularly a weak squad with no certified ROs.

Are you to 'blame'? Yes as you did not stop the shooter that made the unsafe action, but even more so the MD is at fault for allowing the situation to exist. Get training, either find a class or get your club to sponsor a class.

A new USPSA shooter can take the RO class, but they are not eligible for active status until they have been a member for a year. B+Not perfect, but better than nothing.

Others have also said that even if an infraction occurs and a number of shots are fired afterwards you can Stop the shooter, ULSC and call the RM. If he manages to have finished the stage, this does not negate the infraction.

• 5 weeks later...

Me to!

On Saturday, our normal monthly match, a new guy shows up to watch. I come to the stage a little late because I am working with our Palm scoring. The Palm scoring was developed by a shooter in our club. It works great.

So by the time I get to my squad, they have talked the new shooter into shooting the match. One shooter loans him mags, etc. He watches everyone shoot before he shoots. A few of us go over the rules prior to his shooting.

I am the RO. He walks by a target and swings his gun back to engage it, yeppers, breaking the 90 degrees. I yell stop before he shoots. I explain the reason why (we had gone over the rule previously). He takes it very well, acknowledges his mistake. I tell him I have DQ's from the stage.

I told him to move with the squad to the next stage and we will let him shoot. At least three members of my squad came up to me to talk to me about stopping him. I told them I stopped him but he can continue to shoot with us. They all felt it was the right thing to do.

So I failed as an RO. So be it. In all the subsequent stages he did fine and did not break any rules. He will come back.

USPSA teachs safety, safety, safety, if we the RO's don't enforce it then we fail!!! I shot for 1 1/2 years before I took and passed the RO class. I learned during that day and a half class you can't ever overlook safety for the shooters self esteem....sorry....but a DQ is a DQ, not a warning!!!

Even experienced RO's make mistakes, you are commended for stepping up and trying.

It's always stressful to DQ anyone and you must be sure it is warranted.

But when it is, you have to be quick and deliberate. Might be that a DQ with the first guy would have resulted in the others being more careful.

Luckily no one discharged a round.

Once had a competitor discharge a round while reloading and it looked to me that it went over the berm. No hesitation on my part, he was done. Even though he didn't believe, and argued, he had not done it. Remember the competitor can argue that what he did was or was not a penalty or dq'able action. He can't argue your statement of what you say he did.

Learn from what you think you did wrong and work to be better.

An RO Class will help you both as a Competitor and a Club Member.

Good Luck.