Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9mm Pro Magazines sticking

PatUSAF

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone had issues with their 5" Pro. I was at the range yesterday and was trying to practice my reloads for the first time on my Pro since I bought it and found that when trying to drop a mag it would drop down about 1/4" and then fail to fall out. The problem seems to happen with rounds still in the magazine. When the mag is empty it seems to drop just fine, but when full or half full or even just two rounds or so in the mag it drops down and gets hung up.

Has anyone had this issue, or can anyone shed some light on what might be wrong. If I have any chance of competing its going to be hard to use this and be successful.

Pat

Mine never stuck back when I had a PRO. I used AT's method since I felt it made them slicker but they did not stick even without the silicone. You might be able to sand a little inside the grip. You may just have a little high spot form the manufacturing process.

It doesn't seem to be a cleaning issue it was completely clean and lubricated before the last session. It looks like it might be gettinng caught up on something in the magwell. I tried lubbing the mag and it doesn't seem to do anything. Could Is there anything inside that I could de-burr or sand down?

Are you holding the mag release down until the mag is clear? S&W will pay shipping both ways and take care of your problem. If your gun has a mag safety, you might remove the slide to make it easier to see any interference with between the disconnect lever and the mag. If the issue is with a single mag, that could be the issue. If it occurs with all mags, you probably have a high spot in the mag channel somewhere. I don't put anything in or on my mags that will attract dirt. Any mods you make to the gun could void your lifetime warranty, so keep that in mind.

Edited by phm14

Since it only happens when there are rounds in the mag, check to see if the top round has moved forward which may prevent the mag from dropping.

This use to happen with my limited gun. The top round and feed rail would drag the next round below it forward when chambering the top round. The bullet of the round would hang up on the feed ramp and prevent the mag from falling.

I traced it to the case lube I was using which caused too much drag against each round when feeding from a mag.

I have seen this "Mag Sticking" issue caused by excess mold flashing inside the frame. To check for this dissassemble a magazine so its only a tube with no spring, base pad , or follower in it. Then insert the magazine in the gun until the mag catch engages it. Then push the mag release and hold the frame at a sideways 45 degree angle. The mag body should drop free. If it does not then you have some extra frame material catching on the sides of the magazine. If you remove the mag release and then slowly insert the magazine feeling for resistance this is the only way to figure out exactly where in the frame the mag is binding up. The only way to fix this is to file down the extra plastic material inside the frame. Work a little at a time and do a bunch of test fitting and you should be able to get it figured out pretty easy.

Cha-lee

It seems like that might be the case of whats happening, I just ran home at lunch to test some of these theories, and it seems like its getting jammed up right around where the mag release mechanism meets the notch on the magazine itself inside of the well. I lubed the hell out of it which made it a bit easier but I think that was only due to the fact that it was slick as hell!

I'm going to try and see if its something that needs to be filed down cause the well looks like it has excessive marring on the plastic right around that area.

Pat

A couple of other things to consider...

1) The dimensions of the mag bodies for the M&P (9/40/357 and 45 alike) all vary quite a bit. You may be running into a stacking tolerance situation-- between the flashing that Cha talked about, and the mag bodies themselves. It's possible you're unlucky enough to have a whole set of the "fat bodies"-- I have 1, out of my 7. The fact that you report more issues with loaded mags definitely supports this possible factor-- they DO swell when there's rounds in 'em.

2) The frame itself is remarkably thin, and very flexible at the grip area. I can not only feel my "fat body" sliding into the well with moderate finger pressure near the mag release button, but I can actively make it stick in place as well. The same thing happens in my 45 FS, which is another story entirely... Much like some 1911's will snag the magazine if you mash the heck out of the release button, you may be punishing the grip itself to the point of exacerbating the hang up.

3) When your mag changes are as shoddy as mine, it's excessively easy to build up burs and scuffs in the lower part of the well. This may very well have happened to you higher up, especially if there's some wonky dimensions.

4) Look into Plexus for your cleaning/lubrication needs. It's a plastic cleaner sold at many motorcycle/ATV shops, and it's pretty amazing. I was put on to it when I was shooting a Glock, and my ProGrip was really making those mags hard to drop. I apply it to the interior surface of the M&P's well, and it seems to help quite a bit; it actually puts a nice coating on, that while not wet, is still VERY smooth. You can apply it to the metal as well, although I doubt it is nearly as effective. FYI-- it's great on your followers!

5) While it doesn't sound like they're the cause of your issue, new/extra power springs can help. I noticed a huge difference in the "jump" of the mag out of the well after going to extra powered ISMI's recently, as well as with fresh factory springs compared to those that had seen 10-15k rounds (obviously). That counts for both empty and full mags, FYI-- but more so for the empties.

Check to see the mag release tab isn't too long. Pull the slide off and remove follower from mag. Mag release tab should extend only about .015" beyond inside wall of mag tube. If it extends too far the follower could get hung and/or it may not pull back far enough to clear the outside corner of the mag. Grind it down or get a replacement to fix.

Cha-lee

It seems like that might be the case of whats happening, I just ran home at lunch to test some of these theories, and it seems like its getting jammed up right around where the mag release mechanism meets the notch on the magazine itself inside of the well. I lubed the hell out of it which made it a bit easier but I think that was only due to the fact that it was slick as hell!

I'm going to try and see if its something that needs to be filed down cause the well looks like it has excessive marring on the plastic right around that area.

Pat

Was this the problem causing the mag to stick?

I don't know why you guys would want to spray your mags or frame with a slick lubricant to try and resolve this problem. These lubricants do attract dust and will make the issue worse if you don't keep a highly regimented frame and mag cleaning schedule.

Simply fix the mag binding problem by filing down the bulged plastic portions causing the issue on the inside of the frame.

Edited by CHA-LEE

This thread is quite appropriate for me right now. I just lost a final section qualifier and the series on the last stage of the match due to a sticking mag in my 9L! I fired 4 rounds and started to reload, and the mag did not budge-at all! Had to use fingernails to finally get the stupid thing out-the small basepads are great for seating mags but are very hard to get a grip on. I have been shooting this gun for a while but apparently had not tested or come across occasion to need to drop a mag with a good number of rounds in it-they always drop free when empty or lightly loaded. So, next day I tested all 9 mags that I have-all dropped free empty, but would not drop free with more than 5 rounds. Each and every mag expanded too much to drop when loaded. I talked to Smith rep and was told to send gun in-might be a bad mold. Being a little impatient, I decided to work on it. The mags were sticking in the top 1/3 of the frame with no slide and no mag release installed. I couldn't see any flashing left inside and the wear on the mags was pretty uniform. I carefully filed and sanded the inside of the mag well until all mags dropped free. Gun functions perfectly like before and all mags now drop free! Took maybe 20 minutes.

It seemed to be part of the problem, the release mechanism was somewhat dirty but also had a few small burrs, when I took the mag spring out and inserted the mag I could feel it catching slightly on the notch in the mag. I think that was the problem, I scraped a bit off and smoothed it out and all seems to fall freely. I haven't been to the range yet but I think it will be ok.

Pat

Cha-lee

Pat

Was this the problem causing the mag to stick?

I think this was also part of the problem, I could see that when I removed the slide and took a look into the magwell that the part of the magazine, where the bullet head would be, rubbed up against that section in the well. I was thinking about doing some filing/smoothing on that area but it seemed to be dropping smoothly with cleaning and lubrication of the magazine. However my awesome intuition tells me that it might start happening again, and that this is the real problem. I'm hoping not cause I have filing down gun parts!

Pat

This thread is quite appropriate for me right now. I just lost a final section qualifier and the series on the last stage of the match due to a sticking mag in my 9L! I fired 4 rounds and started to reload, and the mag did not budge-at all! Had to use fingernails to finally get the stupid thing out-the small basepads are great for seating mags but are very hard to get a grip on. I have been shooting this gun for a while but apparently had not tested or come across occasion to need to drop a mag with a good number of rounds in it-they always drop free when empty or lightly loaded. So, next day I tested all 9 mags that I have-all dropped free empty, but would not drop free with more than 5 rounds. Each and every mag expanded too much to drop when loaded. I talked to Smith rep and was told to send gun in-might be a bad mold. Being a little impatient, I decided to work on it. The mags were sticking in the top 1/3 of the frame with no slide and no mag release installed. I couldn't see any flashing left inside and the wear on the mags was pretty uniform. I carefully filed and sanded the inside of the mag well until all mags dropped free. Gun functions perfectly like before and all mags now drop free! Took maybe 20 minutes.

Seriously, spraying lube on a sticking mag is treating a symptom.

Agreed.

Hence the Plexus suggestion. It's plastic *cleaner*. :sight:

It works the best for the Glock, especially if you're a ProGrip addict like me. I recommended it to someone who decided it was a good idea to try ArmorAll instead-- glossy residue and all.

It was working great for him-- until it wasn't. :lol: