Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drop-in or fitted barrel for Glock

BigMoosie

The fitted barrels should, in theory, be more accurate. But, it is possible to fit them too tight. Not only does reliability suffer, but accuracy can also. An overly-tight barrel will bend like a spring during lock-up and really be annoying because it SHOULD be accurate, but ain't.

I've had good success with the KKM drop-ins. I would think that Bar-Sto's barrel would be good also.

Agree with Braxton 1. Have KKM drop-ins in my G34 and G35 and its more accurate than me and functions 100%. If you have the barrel fitted you might want to have the chamber spec'ed to your OAL.

I've only tried Lone wolf barrels. Though I've been wanting a few KKM's for some time. They obviously were drop in's and performed quite well and locked up tightly. Their chambers were a little tight though, but LW is willing to bore it out slightly if you send them a few rounds and some cash. (I've never had them do this.)

Agree with Braxton 1. Have KKM drop-ins in my G34 and G35 and its more accurate than me and functions 100%. If you have the barrel fitted you might want to have the chamber spec'ed to your OAL.

how big a differance did you notice between stock & KKM?

+1 - ACCURATE - Drop IN - Worth the cost...

I currently have two KKM barrels, with one in a G22 and the other in a G35. I can tell a big difference between a match grade barrel and the factory barrel. Diffidently the KKM makes a difference. With tighter groups at 25 yards in both models. Both of the barrels are drop in.

I use 1.130 OAL and have no problems with the drop in.

That's just my two cents worth.

i would say if you are a hardcore gamer or bullseye shooter...than fitted is best....but, i've been reading about kkm and i think this is the way to go....nothing against lw...but, it seems that some barrels from them require boring bigger....where kkm is more drop in and go.....

I got a Stormlake drop in and I've been experiencing some malfunctions, I added some other items all at the same time and had major problems (failure to fire, slide lock issues). So I took everything out and went back to stock, first thing I tried was the barrel alone, and I experienced failure to slide lock on an empty mag. Popped the stock barrel in and the problem went away. There are a couple things I will check before I do anything to the barrel or have it fitted - my grip I changed up a little and maybe I'm riding the slide release, and I'm shooting with practice mags thats are a little beat up.

Bar-Sto claim that their match fitted Glock barrels will produce 1 inch groups at 25, and 2 inch groups at 50. They're expensive though, with shipping and labor about $450. Apparently the US Navy Pistol Team use Bar-Sto, and have Bar-Sto match fit their Glocks. The reason I'm thinking of going this route is I bought my first Glock (17) the other day and can't get the thing to shoot accurately. While I'm not a bullseye shooter I can shoot one hole groups at 25 yards offhand with my wheelguns and tuned 1911s. Despite 300 rounds of trying over the weekend the best I could achieve with my Glock was a 7-8 inch group at 25. The trigger is also something I am thinking of switching out.

If you do a search, you will get lots on information on this topic.

That's what I've been trying to do. I'm getting conflicting reports. I haven't been able to find anyone that's replaced a barrel with a gunsmith fitted match grade Bar-Sto barrel. apparently they are out there.

Just got back from the range again, since my first trip I've been doing lots of dry firing to get used to the Glock's stock trigger. Results were better this time however I feel before moving to another barrel that I might be better served initially by replacing out the stock trigger. Any recommendation for a good aftermarket trigger that I can use for IDPA and carry would be appreciated.

Edited by BigMoosie

Any recommendation for a good aftermarket trigger that I can use for IDPA and carry would be appreciated.

There are also a ton of threads about Glock triggers. Hit the search page.

FWIW...if you aren't accurate with the Glock, chances are it's your interaction with the gun, and not the gun itself. That is not meant as a dig in any way. It just take a bit to get used to shooting a Glock well.

I was one of the first 8 or so people to make Grand Master with a Glock...and my current competition Glock is nearly stock (except sights and some worn out grip tape).

Any recommendation for a good aftermarket trigger that I can use for IDPA and carry would be appreciated.

There are also a ton of threads about Glock triggers. Hit the search page.

FWIW...if you aren't accurate with the Glock, chances are it's your interaction with the gun, and not the gun itself. That is not meant as a dig in any way. It just take a bit to get used to shooting a Glock well.

I was one of the first 8 or so people to make Grand Master with a Glock...and my current competition Glock is nearly stock (except sights and some worn out grip tape).

The Glock is certainly very different to all my other guns - you're right it is all about interaction, especially as I'm used to shooting nice crisp worked on triggers of S&W wheelguns and 1911s.

Edited by BigMoosie

If you have a 34 or 35 all you need to do Is polish the trigger group. Those 200. Dollar trigger groups are fine if you want to spend the $$ but not necessary to have a great gun. The stock barrels are great in the glock. The only reason I ever used an after market barrel (wolf). Was for lead ammo (not jacketed) because the factory barrel fowls terribly with lead ammo. IMO: polish the trigger group install sevigny/Warren sites and hit the range.

If you have a 34 or 35 all you need to do Is polish the trigger group. Those 200. Dollar trigger groups are fine if you want to spend the $ but not necessary to have a great gun. The stock barrels are great in the glock. The only reason I ever used an after market barrel (wolf). Was for lead ammo (not jacketed) because the factory barrel fowls terribly with lead ammo. IMO: polish the trigger group install sevigny/Warren sites and hit the range.

Solid.

Search the web for the 25 cent trigger job. Add a good pair of sights (Warren-Sevigny). Practice dry-firing with a dime balanced on the front sight.

• 10 years later...

Question: I have a Glock 19 Gen 5 which I understand came with a match grade barrel (correct me if I’m wrong). I added Zev night sights and a nice 3lb Timney trigger. I love it!  Thinking of adding an upgraded barrel - threaded stainless steel match grade. Please give me an idea of good manufacturer and whether fitted or drop in is suitable for my current set up. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

14 hours ago, Katester10 said:

Question: I have a Glock 19 Gen 5 which I understand came with a match grade barrel (correct me if I’m wrong). I added Zev night sights and a nice 3lb Timney trigger. I love it!  Thinking of adding an upgraded barrel - threaded stainless steel match grade. Please give me an idea of good manufacturer and whether fitted or drop in is suitable for my current set up. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Unless you are very good you can't out shoot the Gen 5 Barrel.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a gen3 19 for my EDC.. Stock, 25c trigger job, and I removed finger grooves, undercut trigger guard... no stippling. 

Alphas all day at 25..

Just took me probably 10k dryfires and only 1k rounds just to prove a point to a guy at work who's gotta mod everything before Learning how to use his damn finger and grip the glock correctly.. haha.

I love glocks.. I love shooting other people's glocks better than them even better.

Would love to get a gen 5 but, commiefornia and I don't want to pay 1300 for an off list. Anyways,  I'm not Half the shooter as the people in this thread, just a guy with alot of glock bite and experience with factory glocks.

They shoot fine with stock parts and a trigger job.

Cheers!

Edited by MixLord

• 2 weeks later...

KKM drop in  zero issues,  ive had 5 of them so far, yes they help but remember this is NOT a bullseye gun and never will be. Gen 5 um id really think hard about leaving the stock barrel in there, working on loads and skills.  

• 1 year later...
On 3/1/2012 at 9:09 PM, Braxton1 said:

The fitted barrels should, in theory, be more accurate. But, it is possible to fit them too tight. Not only does reliability suffer, but accuracy can also. An overly-tight barrel will bend like a spring during lock-up and really be annoying because it SHOULD be accurate, but ain't.

I've had good success with the KKM drop-ins. I would think that Bar-Sto's barrel would be good also.

Bless your heart…