Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long to keep tax returns?

if we could scrap the income tax entirely and go with a high federal flat sales tax, we wouldn't have to worry about this B.S. every April 15th. :angry2:

I had always heard 7 years as well.

The main thing is if you owe or have to pay, how do you keep track that you sent your payment in? In the summer of 2010, I got a notice from the (very broke) state of Illinois saying that I had NOT submitted a state income tax return say like back in 2008 for calendar year 2007. Well, why the ______ didn't they catch it in 2009 then? My guess is so I could get hit with more penalties, but not so much that it would be worthwhile for me to get a lawyer to fight it. So, yep, sucker me, instead of pee'ing away a day of work to drive up to Springfield to fight it, I just wrote them yet another check for the amount I owed them say like $200 plus the penalties for supposedly not submitting a return in the spring of 2008, so it was something nuts/obscene like $1,000 or $1,500 total.... but sent it confirmation/signature required this time. Pretty good racket, eh?

Edited by Chills1994

I keep mine perpetually. A reminder as to how much I have "paid in".

ya, know, those green Social Security reports you get every September or October that lists what you have made every year since you have been working. That's what I use to keep track of that.

Great place for legal advice if you ask me. We are all range lawyers to some extent, right?

Besides I'm not asking for legal advice. And I'm certainly not going to hold a forum member accountable if I throw away tax forms from the 80's and somehow get audited.laugh.gif

I have always heard 7 years. Our taxes are just the run of the mill non high risk for audit type if that matters.

Any more current schools of thought on how long to keep them.

Forever. I don't care what US Code or IRS Regs say; they can and WILL change them or ignore them capriciously whenever it suits them. Keep it all forever.

I have always heard 7 years. Our taxes are just the run of the mill non high risk for audit type if that matters.

Any more current schools of thought on how long to keep them.

Forever. I don't care what US Code or IRS Regs say; they can and WILL change them or ignore them capriciously whenever it suits them. Keep it all forever.

cheers.gif Read and Heed.......

Great place for legal advice if you ask me. We are all range lawyers to some extent, right?

Besides I'm not asking for legal advice. And I'm certainly not going to hold a forum member accountable if I throw away tax forms from the 80's and somehow get audited.laugh.gif

Hey now... I really am a financial professional. www.maksfs.com

there is the 3 and 7 year marks.

3 years is how long IRS has to audit you, and during the audit, if something comes up they can go back as far as 7.

Edited by Maksim

Being able to scan all papers and stuff, put it on a disk and have it forever. If I had to keep up with everything by the end of the year I fill 4 boxes. now to keep 4 boxes of tax stuff 7 years Im going to have 28 boxes in wait while I filling another 4 boxes. I scan it, make 3 copies and get rid of it.