Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 9mm vs .40 in IDPA esp, USPSA ss

TripleTapper

single stack uspsa changes the max rounds in mag for-minor vs. major. single stack is the only division with a set round count stipulation. minor single stack is basically production or l10(minor) with a 1911 gun:P

but still 40sw is what i would(and Do shoot) get some 10mm mags and you are set.

40sw has my vote

a ) 45 ACP for SSTK and CDP (same PF, no changes from one to the other, major scoring)

b ) 40 S&W for SSTK and ESP (differnt ammo loadings and different recoil, depending on mags, may have capacity issues for ESP)

c ) 9mm for SSTK and ESP (same PF, minor scoring)

I would say 45 ACP but CDP is a lonely division compared to ESP in most (but not all) places so not as much fun. 40 S&W is better suited to USPSA and 9mm is better suited to IDPA. Which game do you play the most? If USPSA go 40 S&W and compromise for ESP. If IDPA go 9mm and focus hard on hits in USPSA.

Edited by Rob Tompkins

There's a reason the winners of Single Stack in nearly every major match run major. While there is the occasional stage where the extra rounds make up for minor scoring, the USPSA 8 round rule means that you're reloading after 6-8 rounds most of the time, regardless of whether you have 8 or 10 in the gun.

I've run the same match in both major and minor, and the only time I beat myself in minor is if there are a lot of 6 shot arrays followed by 4 shot arrays.

BB

If you reload the .40 is the clear winner based on the ability to load it long for softer recoil and being able to make Major. If you don't reload and/or are recoil sensitive the 9MM is the one to go with. Me I can't tell much difference in recoil between the two.

If i'm shooting a single stack only match, you have to go with major to avoid the point loss. If i'm shooting a regular uspsa match along with Limited, Open shooters, i.e., long field courses, going minor and having the extra rounds will help you. Typically state, sectional or area matches tend to have medium to long field courses and very few arrays that are single stack friendly even with the 8 round arrays that uspsa wants.

for IDPA, 9mm is the only solution that makes sense.

a ) 45 ACP for SSTK and CDP (same PF, no changes from one to the other, major scoring)

b ) 40 S&W for SSTK and ESP (differnt ammo loadings and different recoil, depending on mags, may have capacity issues for ESP)

c ) 9mm for SSTK and ESP (same PF, minor scoring)

I would say 45 ACP but CDP is a lonely division compared to ESP in most (but not all) places so not as much fun. 40 S&W is better suited to USPSA and 9mm is better suited to IDPA. Which game do you play the most? If USPSA go 40 S&W and compromise for ESP. If IDPA go 9mm and focus hard on hits in USPSA.

Thanks i find this very helpful!

If you reload, .40 no question; at minimum pf it can shoot softer than a 9 for IDPA and your GTG for loading Major pf for USPSA SSTK. If you don't reload, 9mm is cheaper for IDPA but you'll need to hit A's in USPSA SSTK to be competitive.

FWIW, both 40 and 9 in 1911's can be a bit of a headache, if that's not something you're ready to roll with .45 putting you in CDP and GTG for SSTK is the easiest to get to run.

There's a reason the winners of Single Stack in nearly every major match run major.

You are absolutely correct. I am convinced that, if BJ Norris were to shoot Major at SS Nationals, he would be a strong contender for the top spot.

If you don't reload go with a 9.

If you reload, go with a .40.

I have both, and with proper loading, the .40 will shoot softer than the 9. Good, jhp,.40 bullets cost a little more than good, 9mm, jhps. If you want to be cheap, you could go with fmj, lead, or moly bullets, but, they have not been as accurate out of MY pistols as jhps. :cheers: