Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arched vs Flat mainspring housings

shuey134

I just held a 1911 with an arched main spring housing and it felt and pointed well in my hand. I'm thinking this might have something to do with shooting a glock for the last 4 years.

My questions is, how many people prefer an arched mainspring housing to a flat mainspring housing and is there any reason that I should just stick with the flat mainspring housing?

Thanks

I voted arched. It just feels better to me and I shoot better with an arched vs flat. I used an arched MSH/magwell from S&A for a number of years prior to switching to the Techwell SP magwell. The Techwell attached to the frame via locking lugs under the grip panels and uses a stand alone MSH. http://www.techwearusa.com/techwell_system.asp

Arched Dawson Ice here... I shoot Glocks in every other division, and was always hunting for the front sight. The arched mainspring makes it just about perfect. My next SS I am going with an arched mainspring and the Techwell system...

I just held a 1911 with an arched main spring housing and it felt and pointed well in my hand

That is the answer you are looking for.

It doesn't matter what the rest of us prefer. All that matters is what feels right for you.

Does anyone know if the dawson ice will take the Chip McCormick Power mags without any problem?

I'm guessing I would have to go with the gap one.

Thanks

they will work with the gap version, not sure if you'll need bigger basepads on the bottoms so you can seat the mags though...

Arched with S&A magwell. Just fits my hands so much better.

Bingo!

Also, the poll does not have all the options, such as the wedge MSH, or the ones that are shaved on the left or right side.

Finally, in order to TRULY know which version is best for you, you have to try them all with the various trigger lengths and shapes because the shape of the trigger shoe face as well as the total length of pull significantly influence the way the gun feels, points and indexes.