Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Choices for a precision .22 Rifle?

DocMedic

My old man picked up a Savage BTV bolt action .22 the other day, so as a present I gave him one of my 4-16x scopes that I had laying around, and help him sited it in. With even the stock trigger, I was able to put 10shots in the Same hole :o ! I've never been able to do that with any of my JP rifles... <_< So I think I caught the bug. I already plan on using a TacSol X-ring setup for STC, so I'm really looking for a bolt action .22, new for this year my range will be holding precision .22 matches ranges from 35yards out to 150yards.

While I would LOVE a 40x with a AI-AX stock.. It AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN :ph34r:

Oh also to add, something that might look as similar to my current .308 rifle, which is a FNH SPR A5, but i'm guessing thats more to do with just a stock then anything else.

Edited by DocMedic

FWIW, there are a ton of really accurate .22's that can run into the $1000's of dollars. And that's just for the rifle - no sights! And using a scope is almost cheating in this game. When I was a kid, we shot micrometer sights at 50' and the center of the bull was 0.2" - that's smaller than the bullet diameter.

FWIW, there are a ton of really accurate .22's that can run into the $1000's of dollars. And that's just for the rifle - no sights! And using a scope is almost cheating in this game. When I was a kid, we shot micrometer sights at 50' and the center of the bull was 0.2" - that's smaller than the bullet diameter.

While that might be true, I would really like to stay under(well under :blink: ) 1k (yea yea, buy once, cry once..)for a .22 especially if I have to "kit" it up. open/ iron sight?!?! I planning to throw my NF 8-32x on it :P

Edited by DocMedic

It seems that for the budget conscious the answer typically comes down to CZ or Savage.

I choose a Savage BTVS MkII, put an DIP products 25moa scope base on it, a cheap Nikon Mil-dot 6-18x Buckmaster, and a heavier base metal plate on the bottom, tweaked the trigger a couple of turns and that is it. Total price was about $750ish for an impressively accurate .22lr. It loves the CCI SV and Wolf match ammo, which also means it is cheap to feed! :P

While that might be true, I would really like to stay under 1k...

I hear you. But you did ask for Top Choices and there are some really sweet Anschutz rifles out there. :devil:

In all seriousness, if you are looking for something to put a scope on and sub for a .308, the Savage Mark II SR already mentioned is a darn good place to start. It just depends on what you want the rifle for.

The Savage rifles with the AccuTrigger are excellent rifles. I bought mine with a synthetic stock because I got a deal on it. I have since restocked it with a wood aftermarket stock. The CZ 452 or 453 heavy barrel guns are also extremely accurate. You just have to find the ammo each gun likes. I do not notice a difference in accuracy between the two. I also have a tricked out 10/22 with a TacSol barrel that holds it's own also.

FWIW My 10/22 w Lilja $300+ barrel and $150 laminated target stock will shoot one big hole @50 yds with just about any quality ammo.

I've heard Volquartsen barrels are good too.

My Marlin 980v? bolt action Hvy Bbl w custom laminted target stk does close to that.

I think just about any 22 with a heavier barrel should shoot pretty well.

Buddy just got a used Savage MK2 w the threaded bbl for suppressor.

Shoots very well too.

Nick

Here is a pic of my Savage BTVS .22 fly smasher. It was a toss between this and a CZ as I like the classic rifle looks of the CZs a lot. But, when I shouldered one of these it just felt too good, and the trigger felt good right out of the box. First thumbhole stock I've owned, always thought they were a little funky looking (I associate them with the early Planet of the Apes movies)...but seriously, it feels great. The Savage rifles with a "B" in the designator use Boyds stocks. Wish I had a target or two to post. Not saying that a real rifleman with a better quality rifle couldn't do much better...but for a hack with a cheapo .22 this does well. If the wind isn't too fickle getting less than 1" @ 100 isn't out of the question, and hitting a pop can at 200 is not all that tough. The best part is that I can entertain myself all day with this silly thing.

My old man picked up a Savage BTV bolt action .22 the other day, so as a present I gave him one of my 4-16x scopes that I had laying around, and help him sited it in. With even the stock trigger, I was able to put 10shots in the Same hole :o ! I've never been able to do that with any of my JP rifles... <_< So I think I caught the bug. I already plan on using a TacSol X-ring setup for STC, so I'm really looking for a bolt action .22, new for this year my range will be holding precision .22 matches ranges from 35yards out to 150yards.

Oh also to add, something that might look as similar to my current .308 rifle, which is a FNH SPR A5, but i'm guessing thats more to do with just a stock then anything else.

My top choice would be an Anschutz 64 MPR, but a more reasonably priced option would be either a Savage or CZ 452 Varmint (I'm not sold on the 453 or 455 yet). I went the CZ route and couldn't be happier! Yes they are just a touch more expensive than a Savage, but the fit and finish is far superior. You can throw either in a Boyd's Tacticool stock if you choose. Out of the box the Savage may have an edge with the Accu-trigger, but the CZ's trigger is VERY easy to adjust into the 18-24 oz range with just a simple spring swap. At my local monthly tactical rimfire match) it's an Anschutz or CZ type of crowd. ;)

A fun little online match to compete in as the monthly SRTac SH match (LINK. Ity's a LOT tougher to shoot than it looks. :)

I too would recommend the Anzchutz 64 MP-R. You can get a new one from Champion for $1175. I guess you could paint the stock (and gun) if you wanted it more tactical in appearance. As a repeater, it would my preference for an accurate and really nice rifle.

The Sako Quad with an aftermarket stock. Even a used Finnfire p94s Varmint with heavy barrel and aftermarket stock; or a p94s Range with heavy barrel (has an adjustable wood stock like a TRG - and could also be painted like the Anzchutz) are all very nice accurate guns. All these guns are going to be $1000+

The Savage MkII TR (or MkII TRR-SR) would be a good option (it certainly looks more similar to your rifle). The action isn't as silky smooth, but certainly fine). Many of the TR's I've seen don't come with a threaded barrel. However, there are versions of the TR that have a full length and threaded barrel (come with a threaded cap/ protector (like the FV-SR)). If you'd prefer something other than black, Cabelas sells the gun in a green (it also the threaded barrel, but instead has a flash hider threaded on).

The CZ 452 Varmint is a option that many love (although discontinued last year). Some I've seen are very nice and superior to the Savage, although I've seen a couple of brand new ones with rather rough actions and poor fitting stocks (considerable barrel contact). This is without a doubt not the norm, but I'd want to handle the particular one I was buying.

Probably the best bang for the buck and the closest to a tactical rifle from the factory, I'd say the Savage.

Edited by MDW

If you're planning on putting a big scope on it anyway, you might look at getting one that you can use to compete in silhouette matches with. That game is a blast. For those on a budget, many choose the CZ silhouette.

Darren

I like and own CZ's and brother has Sako Quads.

The Quad has a nicer trigger out of the box, is easier to change a barrel on and I believe his currently has a Lilja on it, and the Quad feels larger/more substantial than the CZ 452. He has this in a Manners stock and the rifle feels good...

The CZ 452 trigger can be improved, rebarreling can be a PITA, and ejection can sometimes be finicky. The best part of the 452 is that it never fails to extract and now that Stock makers are doing this pattern it makes it a wee bit better.

I have a 1957 made BRNO Model 4 which is VERY much similar to the 452, the 455 is redesigned new player.

Just to add...

CZ makes the 455 Varmint Precision Trainer and it comes with a Manners tactical stock, though I'm unfamiliar with this gun.

Also, DIP (Diversified Innovative Products) makes tactical bolt knobs, scope rails, and bottom metal for the above. DIP also makes an adjustable universal cheek piece/ rest out of kydex.

The CZ 452 trigger can be improved, rebarreling can be a PITA

Is wearing out a .22LR barrel even possible? :surprise:

Doc: If you are looking for affordable accuracy look no further than CZ or Savage. I like the bull-barreled .22LR myself so I went with a CZ 452 Varmint but I would have been just as happy with a Savage BV.

The most important consideration is the ammunition you choose. Try out a bunch of different ammo and find out what works best in your rifle. Then purchase a truckload of them and shoot. I have had good luck with Wolf Match Target ammo but YMMV.