Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Choices for a precision .22 Rifle?

DocMedic

Started life as a .22 WMR. Heavy barrel stainless Savage M93 accutrigger. Added a semi fit Boyds stock, home made hardware as I couldnt find 22 mag magazine floorplate. Weaver 4 X 12 X 40 scope,

Groundhogs, fox, and bowing pins fear me.

post-6917-0-52416000-1329709335_thumb.jp

post-6917-0-65646100-1329709345_thumb.jp

post-6917-0-08576100-1329709652_thumb.jp

• 2 years later...

Has anyone shot JP's 22LR dedicated upper? And if so, what are your thoughts on it.

Its basicly a nordic's ar-22 with JP's upper receiver and Specs. So you can't go wrong.

Edited by DocMedic

• 3 weeks later...

I have an Anschutz 54 in a Kelbly stock. The common setup for ARA is a Weaver 36X fixed power scope and an aluminum 1-piece rest from Hall or Pappas. There are now a few more players in the rimfire action scene (Hall, Stiller, 10X, Myers, SPF). There was a huge debate over the benefits of a 6 o'clock firing pin position vs. 12 o'clock. Don't even get me started on how to "tune" the rifle to remove the vertical spread from groups or testing 50 different lots of Eley match until you find one that works....you have to be an absolute fanatic to play the rimfire BR game.

You can easily spend $5K+ on a custom single-shot rimfire rifle, but the name of the game is reading wind.

Your best bet for an inexpensive, accurate rifle is a Savage heavy barreled gun using Wolf MT, or SK ammo. I have found that combo to be very impressive for the money

I playing with the Carbon Arms 22 upper. So far it has been amazing. Groups of near an inch at 100 yards with Federal RedBox.

When time allows I will really ring it out for accuracy as I just flopped down prone and ripped off 3 sets of 5 at a blank no shoot,

• 2 weeks later...

If you dont want to spend the $$ on a 40X or an Anschutz/Feinwerkbau, take a look at a heavy barrel Remington 504T "eley-match". They dont make them any longer BUT you can find them on gunbroker for a reasonable price. Very similar to a Rem 700 in style.

• 2 weeks later...

If you look around you can find an old Ans. 54, 40X or 52 for about 1000. Ammo selection is a huge issue with a .22 when you approach and get past 100 yds. You will want ammo that is sub-sonic to start. The Wolf target ammo is quite good. 100 yds with a .22 is about like shooting 600 yds with a .308 if your shooting a small bore prone match or NRA highpower.

If you plan to invest a lot of money in a .22 rimfire an Anschutz with the 54 action is definitely the way to go. Plenty of older guns available with the 54 action for around $800.00-1000.00. Or you can buy new ready for glass in the $2000.00 range with a factory stock that is suitable for a tactical rifle..

If you can afford it Anschutz 54 is the best. I can't afford it and against all the Internet trash talk took the chance with a Ruger 77/22 VBZ. I've done nothing but put a Leupold 4-12 scope on it. Plan to do a trigger, bed the bbl and action and add a cheek piece. It shows a ton of potential as even without mods using run of the mill hunting ammo, yesterday I was shooting avg groups of .5" at 50 yds. My best 3 shot group was .187". Much of the groups were effected by my heart beat. The cross hairs were dancing around like crazy to every beat. I can't wait to try some match ammo.

post-6767-0-53183500-1404930591_thumb.jp

post-6767-0-88681100-1404930686_thumb.jp

Edited by mpeltier