Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

received new bar-sto for my 34

rc51g

just received my new semi drop-in barsto barrel for my g34. looks great, dropped right in with tighter lockup, cycles great. however, the throat or leade is barely there if at all. with a truncated cone profile bullet col will have to be around 1.050 or shorter. ???? that is shorter than for my XDM. i am still working on loads but it did not group well. it is early but i am a little disappointed. i also have one on the way for the 35 and now i dont know what to expect with it. yes i can get a smith to ream it out or change bullet profiles but what a hassle and waste of my supplies and time.

any thoughts/comments much appreciated.

I recently purchased a KKM barrel for my G35, and I found that while jacketed/plated bullets dropped in fine, my Bayou Bullet loads were a little too tight. KKM said to ship back to them with some dummy rounds, and they would adjust the barrel for me. Total time for the whole process, including shipping both ways, was 7 days. And no charge for the work. Perhaps Bar-Sto will do the same for you.

I recently purchased a KKM barrel for my G35, and I found that while jacketed/plated bullets dropped in fine, my Bayou Bullet loads were a little too tight. KKM said to ship back to them with some dummy rounds, and they would adjust the barrel for me. Total time for the whole process, including shipping both ways, was 7 days. And no charge for the work. Perhaps Bar-Sto will do the same for you.

I think that Barsto will do the same.

When you say they were too tight what do you mean? Bullets hitting the rifling or the chamber a bit too tight? I have the same issue. Ammo will drop in stock barrel fine, and case gauge fine, but go in snuggly in my KKM barrel. It runs fine so far but I was looking into running my ammo through a push through die just in case.

When you say they were too tight what do you mean? Bullets hitting the rifling or the chamber a bit too tight? I have the same issue. Ammo will drop in stock barrel fine, and case gauge fine, but go in snuggly in my KKM barrel. It runs fine so far but I was looking into running my ammo through a push through die just in case.

The bullets were definitely not hitting the rifling - the shoulders of the 180g TC loads were getting stuck in the throat. When you pulled out a load that was forced in and got "stuck," you could see where the green moly coating was scraped off the shoulder of the bullet (between where the cone starts and where the bullet disappears into the case - does that make sense?). I believe the throat was set to .400 for factory ammo, and KKM opened it up to .401 or so for lead bullets. It helped tremendously.

Edited by sdrr72

Side question: did you notice any changes to accuracy and/or power factor and/or a bit of a Glock bulge after KKM opened up the throat?

ah! i am so used to stock glock barrels that i completely overlooked the throat diam. i can see where the lands start and there is some room there before they start but the moly bullets are not uniform enough in diam to consistently load or the bullet seating process enlarges them enough to cause problems. thank you. now i can fix it.

Side question: did you notice any changes to accuracy and/or power factor and/or a bit of a Glock bulge after KKM opened up the throat?

Got it back Thursday, and today is Sunday. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet. However, I will make a note to reply once I am able to test out the modified barrel. I did not chrono the KKM barrel before; sorry! Nothing to compare with.

As for "Glock Bulge," I have a LOT of brass shot through my own older Glocks and other barrels that reloaded just fine on my Dillon SD with no special effort that fired fine. This includes the last 500 or so loads though the KKM (including one match), before sending it back. Yes, when performing "show clear" at the match, several times I had to FORCE the slide back. This is the reason I knew I needed to address the throat issue. But I had NO failures at that one range session or the one match.

However, I will say that on the Polish plate rack and Texas star, at that match, I shot them VERY well. We will see how things work after the barrel mods, but based on how the casings feel in the chamber, it is still very tight. Kevin did not remove much metal.

now that i have had it a while i have had a chance to look at it closer. conclusion - chamber is a little tight. the rifling is close to chamber but not too bad. my dillon dies just wont consistently resize the 9mm brass small enough at the base and it is run down as far as i can get it. everything case guages fine but some of the brass hangs up on the base. the chamber just needs another thousandth or two and it would run great. if this barrel was in 40 - it comes tomorrow- the brass would be run through the G-Rx base resizing die.

Got it back Thursday, and today is Sunday. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet. However, I will make a note to reply once I am able to test out the modified barrel. I did not chrono the KKM barrel before; sorry! Nothing to compare with.

As for "Glock Bulge," I have a LOT of brass shot through my own older Glocks and other barrels that reloaded just fine on my Dillon SD with no special effort that fired fine. This includes the last 500 or so loads though the KKM (including one match), before sending it back. Yes, when performing "show clear" at the match, several times I had to FORCE the slide back. This is the reason I knew I needed to address the throat issue. But I had NO failures at that one range session or the one match.

However, I will say that on the Polish plate rack and Texas star, at that match, I shot them VERY well. We will see how things work after the barrel mods, but based on how the casings feel in the chamber, it is still very tight. Kevin did not remove much metal.

Ran about 200 rounds through it today, and I am happy to say, accuracy was every bit as good as the pre-op barrel. No failures of any kind, and no "sticky" rounds in the chamber. My personal experience is that this KKM drop-in is more accurate than the stock Glock barrel. At the local indoor range (50' shooting on a sandbag), I was consistently keeping 9 of 10 rounds in a 4" circle today without much effort - sometimes better (one 10 shot 3" group). The stock barrel would mostly keep 10 rounds in a 6" circle, and say 7/10 in 4". I am very satisfied with my purchase and their work to open the throat up.

There's something wrong with you or your gun if the stock barrel only does 6 inches at 50 feet.

It probably does better than that. This was at a public range, without a good steady bench for support, and no chair to sit on. The point was that I could consistently do better with the KKM than the stock barrel, all other variables being the same.

ETA - These were also all 10 shot groups. In most instances, I would have 7-8 shots in a tigher pattern than the whole 10. I did have one 10 shot group through the KKM with all shots about 3". Perhaps my eyes are not as good as they used to be.

Edited by sdrr72

i got both g34 and g35 barsto barrels up and running. the g34 had to have a grw undersize die to size the base smaller than the dillon die. the g35 had to have the crimp reduced from .421 to .419 for consistent loading in chamber. i have not chronoed the g34 but the g35 is .2 grains faster. and more accurate.

i will post more info when i chrono the g34.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just received my new semi drop-in barsto barrel for my g34. looks great, dropped right in with tighter lockup, cycles great. however, the throat or leade is barely there if at all. with a truncated cone profile bullet col will have to be around 1.050 or shorter. ???? that is shorter than for my XDM. i am still working on loads but it did not group well. it is early but i am a little disappointed. i also have one on the way for the 35 and now i dont know what to expect with it. yes i can get a smith to ream it out or change bullet profiles but what a hassle and waste of my supplies and time.

any thoughts/comments much appreciated.

You should be able to be under 3 inches at 25 yards with stock barrel and barsto with proper ammo should be around 1.25. Check out unique and N320,WSF for powders. Those are my fav glock loads, I tried tite but it seems to be a little dirty.

This may be a thread drift here, and if this question belongs in a different place on the forum, let me know.

Anyway, here is the question:

Has anyone any real, personal experience with performing tests with stock barrels in Glock pistols, then comparing them with aftermarket barrels such as KKM or Barsto?

By "tests" I am referring to accuracy tests at 25 yards (not 10 or 15 yards).

Five 5-shot groups at 25 yards with a known accurate load in your Glock pistol with the stock barrel.

Same pistol and same load - Five 5-shot groups at 25 yards with each aftermarket barrel.

I think the data from such tests might be interesting!

Thanks.

Raven- I did that with my glock 17 about a year ago. I will have to dig up the data, I think baseline was 25 yards and 10 rounds. Stock was around 2.0, the barsto was closer to 1.3 or so. I never dialed in the load but the problem was I didn't JUST do the barrel swap, it was fitted barrel swap, and slide tightening and trigger mods so it wasn't a straight up comparison.

I'm a new Glocker and have been very disappointed to date with the accuracy of my 17. I know it's not me as I can center punch any target with my wheelguns and 2011s at 25 yards offhand. I can't do that with my 17 despite doing a 25 cent trigger job and dropping in a Ghost Rocket connector. At best I'm getting 5 to 6 inch groups at 25 yds offhand and that's really trying. I just sent the gun away to JP Rifles who offer a trigger and slide frame fit service so we'll see what happens when it comes back. With my other guns I can call the shots and they are effortless to shoot accurately. At one of my local clubs I can consistently hit the 10 inch plate at 100 yds, but not with my 17. Very frustrating!

Edited by BigMoosie