Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is a really fast split? What are the GM's capable of?

digby7

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel a lot better about myself now that I realize a lot of you guys are talking about open guns.

I've pulled similar splits on similar targets with Limited and Production guns (well, a Mink tuned CZ, anyway... I can do .12s all day long my M&P...). Of course, it's already been pointed out that splits are basically worthless, but... :)

The higher up the chain you go, it all matters. Stage wins of less than 1 second are common.

I don't think fast splits are irrelevant, if they are still good scoring hits. Faster is faster.

Experience and gun type dictate the distance, not really the speed, of effective hammer shots.

.11's and .12's are about as fast a I've recorded. All iron sight guns. On video, an .11 split will sound like one shot with an echo.

I feel a lot better about myself now that I realize a lot of you guys are talking about open guns.

I've pulled similar splits on similar targets with Limited and Production guns (well, a Mink tuned CZ, anyway... I can do .12s all day long my M&P...). Of course, it's already been pointed out that splits are basically worthless, but... :)

Agreed, inside 7m I pull almost all guns about the same (except maybe a revolver, I used to be able to run just under .20 with a wheel gun) My .45 SS, my buddies M&P Pro, a stock Glock, or my Open gun, all run at around .13 to .16 at the fastest, mostly I don`t go much faster than .18, .19 in a match. Sure, I`ve pulled a .09 once in a match but realistically I don`t shoot anywhere near that fast. I know lots of A and B class shooters that can shoot way faster splits than me, but I`ll beat them at every match.

I'm not a GM, but I'd like to think I have a pretty snappy trigger finger if it needs to be. Here's a video of a hoser stage at a competition last summer. Fastest splits are .10-.11.

Once or twice I've managed to get the timer to show 0.09 but I don't really think it matters. Just shoot as fast as you can hit and take the time out of everywhere else but the shooting.

http://perttupp.kuvat.fi/kuvat/BE/FILE0024.MOV

BR,

Perttupp

All things being equal, I don't see why splits wouldn't be important. My splits are consistantly 11 ,12 with my G34 5-7yds.

When you consider how long it takes to do everything else, any time lost or gained in splits will be very hard to notice unless you have really slow splits.

All things being equal, I don't see why splits wouldn't be important. My splits are consistantly 11 ,12 with my G34 5-7yds.

Split time alone has no value. Bullet placement is a key component in scoring well, as well as the time it takes to get to the next target. Generally fastsplitters will have slow transitions because they aren't seeing both shots, and just hammering the trigger and hoping for the best. The top shooters will see the shots and get the shots to the next target in the time it takes them to see the shots, which makes for a lower time to shoot an array of targets.

I'm one who spent many tends of thousands of rounds trying to be a fastsplitter, and now I try hard to not do it when I want to shoot a good match. Though there are times when it does come in handy, but they are few and far between in a well designed stage.

Here is a video example of a good time to have it and a bad time in the same match.

3:00 in I fired 5 or so shots when I need two and and I had all the hits on the target and I only needed 2, but I lost control and puked some bullets and lost the stage by one extra shot, even through it wasn't slow.

4:35 I saw the first shots, but knew I had to go fast or wait for it to go around the no shoot which would be slow (I think we had to have 5 hits on the target) and the last were just gas down.

I would much rather have every shot accurate and in the right spot than have sub .15 splits on any target. You can see .10-15 with an open gun, but I don't know that it is possible for many folks to actually see sub .15 with irons consistently.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Here is a video example of a good time to have it and a bad time in the same match.

Link?

I would much rather have every shot accurate and in the right spot than have sub .15 splits on any target. You can see .10-15 with an open gun, but I don't know that it is possible for many folks to actually see sub .15 with irons consistently.

It's tough to do with irons, for sure - I can see the dot move at .08s and call shots, etc, with an Open gun (assuming my dot is bright enough, etc), but I whole heartedly agree that having every shot accurate (and called) is far better than fast splits. My average splits on any meaningful target aren't faster than .15 anyway, so... Transitions between targets at those ranges are worth quite a bit more to my score, so...

I can regularly pull off .10 - .12 splits on close hoser stuff with my limited gun. I have been able to get sub .10 splits here or there but its rare. I have only one video of a .08 on target split that I personally confirmed on the timer. The .08 split happens in the last shooting position on the third target in. This was from an "Outlaw" match were they used the funky tomb stone ICORE targets.

Shooting fast is fun but as other have said, if you can't call your shots and get solid hit at that speed its pointless.

What separates the top dogs from the rest of us is their ability to shoot quickly and effectively on the tighter and longer shots. Anyone with a fast finger can chain saw out rounds quickly. The real wickedness is seeing top end shooters engage 20+ Yard partial targets with sub .20 splits and transitions. That's where the real beat down happens to most other shooters when comparing stage times.

Edited by CHA-LEE

I agree that it is a small amount of time. But the amount of time it takes to get an accurate follow-up (controlled pair, split) shot is very important when observed across an entire match. Splits are important and should correspond to the difficulty of the target, therefore they can also be an important training tool. If a shooter isn't using his recoil (or controlling it) properly, the follow up shot will usually not be accurate or timely. This corresponds to transition time too. The split should be about the same for a close target. If the split is that much slower, techniques need to be changed or the shot taken faster for better efficiency. A shooter who does this well will have a good cadence on an array, with good hits.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to go fast, .16 is about the absolute fastest I can go on a real shot. During a match I'd say .20-.25 is a lot more realistic. In practice just seeing how fast I can go, I've seen a .14 but never anything faster. Wheelgun.

Matt

So awesome. Most people can't do that with an itty bitty reset and a 2lb trigger.

In practice I've had .09 and more commonly .10 and .11, but never if I'm trying to push it. The fast finger only shows up when I'm thinking smooth, both open and limited. .12 and .13 happen in matches frequently, but as others have alread stated...transitions are much more important. I'm A class and the master class guys with slower fingers leave me in the dust!