Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AFTEC Extractor

baron45

I have been hearing a lot about the AFTEC Extractor.Could anybody out there

please explain to me on what is so great about the AFTEC Extractor?What are the advantages and benefits of it as compared to other Extractors of other manufacturers?

THANKS.

baron45

PS.If there are other Extractors that you may wish to suggest,please do so.

THANKS.

Well, the only thing I can say is the Aftecs work. The have a spring system that maintains the same amount of tension on the extractor/cases. Standard extractors eventually lose tension which causes feeding problems. The springs system is the ticket. I have them on 2 pistols (one with 25K rounds through it so far) with no problems. My new pistol (due to arrive next week) will also have one. In my opinion, it is well worth the $$s.

You don't need any tools to tune the tension. You can remove one spring and then move the other to the forward hole or the back hole to adjust the amount of tension on the case head. They work great. I had nothing but misery with a standard extractor and put in the Aftec and never looked back. Aftec also has great customer service to boot.

Not having to worry about tuning the extractor was probably the main reason I bought the aftec. I had heard nothing but good about it. After having 2 Ed Brown's break the claw and an EGW that would need tuning every few months, I popped in the AFTEC and didn't look back. I've only had it for a few months, but so far it's been flawless.

Maybe in a year after I've had it a while I can say something else, but for now, I'm definitely happy with it. B)

Vince

I have had both good and bad luck with AFTEC's. I have them in both my single stack L-10 gun, and my PARA Limited gun. The only problem I have had, is that the springs on the one in my limited gun were "Dead" after only 5K rounds or so, and they went durring a match. Lukily one of the guys I was shooting with had some extra springs, so I was able to change them out, and it only cost me one stage. Other than that I love the things. In my L-10 gun I have only had the AFTEC in for about 7-8K rounds, but so far so good. I just like the fact that if you change the springs now and then, the damn things should run just about forever.

Does the slide's extractor tunnel have to be milled out for the Aftec?

No, it fits a standard slide quite nicely, as opposed to the new mega-extractor from Para, which I am told would require hogging-out (technical term ;) ) the tunnel.

One thing I would add -- when I installed one in my P14, it cured my intermittant feeding problems immediately. And, it did so without modifying the firing pin stop per Aftec's instructions. Ran like a top as a drop-in.

When I mentioned this to to a local gunsmith who's opinion I trust, he emphatically advised I knock the corners off the FPS anyway. It's not a difficult job and I think it it could be good insurance, so I'm going to do it this evening.

Mark R.

The Aftec uses the corners of the firing pin stop to pivot on. It will work without rounding the corner, but then the extractor has to work harder than it should to pivot. I have run mine for a year without changing the springs and no problems. Hmm...maybe it's time. <_<

I have never had much luck with standard extractors. I've had 3 AFTEC and have never had a single extractor related problem with them. The advantage is that you you don't have to worry about it suddenly loosing it's tension. The AFTEC is a one-piece rigid extractor, but uses 2 small springs to keep tension on it against the extractor channel. Super-simple operation and nearly fail-safe.

Guest Larry Cazes

Somebody explain to me how a good quality internal extractor just SUDDENLY loses it's tension as suggested in this thread :o ........With the aftec you DO actually have a more complex mechanism that can fail in many more ways than a simple one piece internal extractor.

I have an AFTEC that I used for a while and it worked fine. I just have never had any significant problems with "stock" type extractors. In 14 years of shooting I have broken exactly 1 extractor and it was a stock Colt piece that had the hook break off. Unless you are banging the extractor against the barrel, or otherise stressing it, it should last quite a long time.

What scares me most about an AFTEC is if I ever had to take it apart at the range to clean or change the springs. I fear that the little pieces would disappear.

Leo

I had a Wilson extractor break about 4 years ago. It cost me our South Island Champs, so I put an Aftec in.

I did modify it because it was a bit clunky, but since then it has been awsome.

I've only ever pulled it out a couple of times a year and all but forget that its there, its just one less variable as far as I'm concerned.

P.D.

Somebody explain to me how a good quality internal extractor just SUDDENLY loses it's tension as suggested in this thread  :o ........With the aftec you DO actually have a more complex mechanism that can fail in many more ways than a simple one piece internal extractor.

I have no idea how. But I've had 2 go limp within 50 rounds or so. First one was a stock STI Edge and the 2nd was on a 6". Have had no problems whatsoever since installing an AFTEC.

I've put 50-60K rounds through my Limited Paras, and they both still have the original Ed Brown extractors in them that were fit by Dan Ruff. I haven't had any bobbles with feeding or extracting that I can attribute to them.

How do you remove your AFTEC extractors, the STI that I bought second hand came with one and I'm afraid of messing it up. Its not like an ordinary extractor that you can pull out easily after taking out the firing pin stop as the extractor hook catches on the breech face(by spring tension) at the extractor tunnel exit when you try to remove it. I'm guessing that I would have to exert some pressure pushing out the extractor hook so it clears the extractor tunnel and just yank it out. Is this the way to do it? Thanks :)

• 2 months later...
The only problem I have had, is that the springs on the one in my limited gun were "Dead" after only 5K rounds or so, and they went durring a match.

I had this happen in my open gun this last weekend during a club match. FUBAR'd three stages because of it. The classic death jam where the brass is still partly in the chamber and the slide is locked back on the next round that has nose-dived into the bottom of the feed ramp.

I changed the springs out before practice last night and the gun ran great for 120+ rounds. Looks like I need to stock extra springs. All this after 6k rounds.

I have heard from some people who use AFTEC's that you should compress the springs a little before you install the extractor in the gun. However, this is what I did with my first AFTEC, and it is the one that had all of the problems. I have since put another AFTEC in a different gun, and other than rounding the firing pin stop, I just put the thing in. So far no problems at all. I have started to keep both extra springs, and another extractor in my bag, just in case.