Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AFTEC Extractor

baron45

I dug out Aftec's phone number tonight: 770-506-0849

Pat Cochran helped me out, one hell of a good guy with customer service first and foremost. They sent me a new extractor for free when mine broke. :D:D Even thought the gunsmith who fitted it, did it incorrectly. :angry:

All my 2011 and 1911 guns have it. I tried not to compress the spring s to see what it would do if you just shove it on the gun as it is. Nothing happened. I mean, it worked and worked and it is still working perfect. 100% extraction. I wonder when those springs will quit.

• 1 month later...

My conventional extractor has been working fine (100%) since it was installed in the pistol in the STI factory circa 1998. I'm guilty of not having a tuned replacement in my bag for the day the original decides to die. So it's time to consider at least buying a replacement and I'm trying to convince myself to go AFTEC.

Would the AFTEC really outlast and outperform a conventional extractor? Provided that I shoot only 600 to 800 rounds a month, how often would I have to give it a tune-up? Would I have to radius hook corners before installation or is it a mostly drop-in part?

Help me out here... I have to spend that $$$ ;)

Somebody explain to me how a good quality internal extractor just SUDDENLY loses it's tension as suggested in this thread :o ........With the aftec you DO actually have a more complex mechanism that can fail in many more ways than a simple one piece internal extractor.

A standard extractor uses only the front part for the tension. If you look a standard there is a BALL, for the lack of a better term, near the center of it. From that ball to the hook is what gives you the tension/spring force. Once that area start to weaken you loose the tension and it can brake. Also the hook is made of the same type steel so that can wear. The aftec is made of harder steel because it does NOT bend, it pivots on the firing pin stop and the tension on the hook is from the springs and the moveable plate.

To say the least the aftec is the best part you buy for your competition gun. Install it and forget it.

I was real hesitate to use an AFTEC, Back in the day when they first came out, they were generally bad JUJU. I think it more from the lack of knowledge as far as installation. I just switched from super rimmed to rimmless this year. Had a buddy of mine throw an AFTEC in my gun and so far so good. I also like the extra round that I have gained. :D

Ivan

A solution for people who cannot fit a real extractor properly, IMO.

Real?

Like an Aftec is artifical or something? Or, not really as reliable as an Aftec?

Hey, man, if JMB didn't design it that way, god didn't intend it to be that way.

:ph34r:

A solution for people who cannot fit a real extractor properly, IMO.

Actually it has nothing to do with fitting a extractor. Plain and simple the Aftec is a better extractor than any of original design. It take just as much work or just as little to fit a Aftec as it does one of original design. And by the way a 40 S&W or a 38 S/SC extractor is NOT a original extractor. The original was designed to work with the 45ACP cartridge. The extractor has to be modified to work with other caliber cartridges.

The 1911 extractor has often been referred to as the weak point of the original design. A couple gun makers apparently feel the same way if we look at the newer designs like S&W's external extractor and Para's huge new hook.

FWIW, Benny installed AFTEC is still 100% after 1.5 years. I think I've pulled it 5 times for cleaning. Same springs.

I'm surprised to see anyone mention JMB's orginal design on this forum. Most of the guns here have been so bastardized -- comps, Bomars, red dots, double stack, wide ambi thumb safeties, recoil reducers, tungsten and bull barrels, etc. -- that they little in common with the original 1911 design. These guns are about reliability, accuracy and speed not "purity."

Guest Larry Cazes
A solution for people who cannot fit a real extractor properly, IMO

Seems like this subject is almost as passionate as religion! Most either have zero problems with their one piece extractor or swear by the Aftec. I personal have had zero problems with good quality one piece extractors once they are set up correctly and see no reason to install a part thats more expensive and by theory should be less reliable. Based on my experience and that of others I shoot with, Externals have just as much of a chance of failing or needing an adjustment and are harder to adjust.

The extractor in my Kimber somehow stopped working and had to be retensioned, half way through a practice session, it just started having problems. Granted it's pretty easy to retension it.

Maybe there's a lot less of them, but I have yet to see an Aftec break, but I've seen 3 factory extractors break, right at the tip.

In my very limited experience, I've never seen an Aftec have a problem, good enough for me.

I've got a pre-series 70 Colt .38 Super that still has the original extractor in it. Don't know the exact round count, but I'm on my 3rd barrel. Wonder if that was one of the spring steel extractors or just really good luck on my part? I've only fired around 2000 rounds of Super Comp brass, but so far this causes no problems either. The gun is pretty much retired now (frame is used for my .45 L-10 back-up gun) since I gave up on IDPA. If my daugher wants to shoot USPSA, I'll bring this gun out of the safe again, at least for a little while.

My Kimber .45 ran at least 15,000 rounds through the original extractor without a problem. I bought and installed a new Wilson extractor so I'd have a tested replacement. So far still running the Wilson after 10K rounds, so I guess the Kimber part gets to be the spare.

I've yet to even have to adjust an extractor.

Was thinking of an Aftec, but I kind of want to have an actual reason to buy one. So far no reason....Good to know the Aftec will be there to bail me out if my luck turns bad.

I'm guessing if I was regularly running Super Comp or .40, then I might have a problem. I'll keep the Aftec in mind when I buy a Limited gun this year.

There are a lot of bad factory extractors out there to be sure. I would never use a MIM or cast extractor, as an extractor is in a constant state of tension and requires a spring quality.

However,

There are a lot of GOOD aftermarket extractors, and in .45 ACP, an original GI extractor is as good as any.

If you are breaking extractors routinely, I would suggest checking the clearance between the extractor and chamber wall. There is probably some contact there, or the extractor claw has been over polished to compensate for lack of clearance and is too weak as a result.