Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 SP-01 VS SP-01 Shadow

ntphd

Being a short dust cover gun, you loose a lot of the weight out front that keeps the sp01 flat.

if you are shooting uspsa, I'd hold out for an sp01.

+1

If you're planning to change things like the trigger, sights and safeties, the Shadow is a bargain because those items are already upgraded, plus the lack of FPB increases the potential of the trigger ever so slightly.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we have everybody here now. Here's my feeble grip on the issue -

I think the Shadow is a great setup as you get a production legal slide with no firing pin block and the cut for better sights.

I think David is right that the FPB is not that big an issue if you address it right, but when it comes time to take the sear cage apart, I'd much rather futz around with the spacer or a pre-b sear than the lifter and spring.

The Shadow still needs trigger work unless it is a Custom. My Sp-01 Shadow had a good trigger but not a great trigger, still needed a better hammer/sear config for a crisp SA pull.

I don't think the difference between the beavertail and other frame differences are that big a deal.

I think the larger mag release IS a big deal when you compare a 75b to almost every other CZ, but from SP-01 Shadow to SP-01 it is the same.

All in all, I think the main difference from SP-01 to SP-01 Shadow is the lifter and the sight cut.

Firing pin block guns can be done up nicely.

A good polish , rework or replace the springs, and they can be smooth and light.

Short reset can be done by both CZC and CGW.

One of my most favorites guns was a matte stainless 75B with fpb intact. 5#da, 1.75#sa and would run CCI primers. Shot that gun for a season.

Edited by eerw

One of my most favorites guns was a matte stainless 75B with fpb intact. 5#da, 1.75#sa and would run CCI primers. Shot that gun for a season.

Is the ability to get a 1.75# SA and running more than federal primers exclusive to the 75B? Is there something that prevents a Shadow from having the same setup?

• 6 months later...

I thought the SP 01 did not have the firing pin block since it doesn't have B on the slide.

it has it. only the shadow and combat models are exempt.

I found a nice CZ 75 SP-01 today and was thinking about buying it as a backup to my SP-01 Shadow. I didn't realize that the CZ 75 SP-01 had a firing pin block. Does that change the internal mechanics of the gun a lot? Part of my plan would be to use the CZ 75 SP-01 as a learning tool to get a better grasp on the CZ 75 series of guns.

Would the competition hammers and springs be the same for the CZ 75 SP-01 and the CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow? Would the same sights fit both guns?

Are there any other differences between the CZ 75 SP-01 and the CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow? They look almost identical except for the sights.

At speed the longer reset is imperceptible.

I run an SP01 as my training gun and a Shadow as my competition gun because i like the adjustable rear. If i could do it all over again i never would have purchased a shadow at the ridiculous premium that they command.

Is there a matrix available that details the difference in CZ 75 models? I'm still confused as to the difference, up to and including the AccuShadow model.

Or can someone point me to a better online resource.

Thanks!

as I can recall. ( dont ask why I know this, please dont ask about compact models :) )

this is only 75B fullsize series and SP01 series including Shadows ( 75 Shadows)

B model guns

75B, firing pin block, single side safety, plastic grips

75BD, firing pin block, decocker, plastic grips

75B matt stainless-FPB, upswept beavertail, ambi safeties, D style mag release

75B polished-same as above,

85B-firing pin block ambi safeties, ambi slide release

85C- no firing pin block, ambi safeties, ambi slide release, adj. rear sight

75B Omega, firing pin block, Omega trigger system

75B SA, firing pin block, upswept beavertail, SAO, ambi ext safeties

SP01 series.

SP01-firing pin block, std mag release, std ambi safeties, 2 mags, tritium sights

SP01 Tactical - firing pin block, ambi decocker, tritium sights

SP01 Phantom- polymer frame, firing pin block, ambi decocker

SP01 Shadow- no firing pin block, 85C trigger, ambi ext safeties, ext mag release, FO front, black rear 3 mags

SP01 Shadow Night- same above, tritium night sights

SP01 Shadow Custom 2014- no firing pin block , 85 C trigger, ext safeties, ext mag release, SS guide rod, short reset, action job with CZ hammer, FO front, competition rear, ext firing pin, light firing pin spring, 11# recoil, 13# hammer, polish internals, polish feed ramp

SP01 SHadow ACCU, same as Custom 2014, ACCU bushing, Hajo Competition rear sight

SP01 SHadow ACCU Custom, Same as ACCU, CZC match barrel, target crown, Competition fixed rear sight

SP01 Shadow Target-no firing pin block , 85 C trigger, ext safeties, ext mag release, SS guide rod, action job with CZ hammer, FO front, competition rear, ext firing pin, light firing pin spring, 11# recoil, 13# hammer, polish internals, polish feed ramp (AVAILABLE CZ-USA ONLY)

75 Shadow- short dustcover, no firing pin block, ambi ext safeties, ext mag release

75 Shadow Target-short dustcover, no firing pin block, ambi ext safeties, ext mag release

75 Shadow SAO-same as above, SAO

Edited by eerw

Does the 2013 Shadow Custom have the short reset? What else does the 2014 have that the 2013 does not have?

2014 is a culmination of the 2013 and everything that people were asking for as upgrades..

short reset, ext firing pin, 2075 firing pin spring. trying to remember if anything else was added.

I was asking the same questions about a SP01 vs SPO1 Shadow. I came across a SP01 Tactical (decocker) and went for it. I just finished the fluff and buff yesterday. Here are the results. The DA trigger pull came down from grossly unreadable to a tad over 8#. The SA came down from 5.4# to 2.6# and the grit is gone.

Here is what I did. Installed a CGW SRS-1 Short Reset Kit with a HS-13 hammer spring. Replaced the hammer with production shadow decocker hammer (same basic shape as the hammer that comes on the tactical), Installed a reduced power trigger spring (as well as the trigger pin) CGW# RP-TRS & TR-PIN. Worked over contacting surfaces on the trigger bar and the sear cage with 600 then 1000 then 1500 paper followed by polish with dremel. I also put on the CGW front and rear sight set #EZ/D-9.

It was my first time gutting a CZ so it took a few hours, especially to reassemble the sear cage to install the FPB lever and spring that comes with the SRS. There are a couple good step-by-steps posted specifically for SP01 Tactical to keep you from getting the cold sweats.

Mike

Replaced the hammer with production shadow decocker hammer (same basic shape as the hammer that comes on the tactical)

Mike

Is this the Factory decocker hammer that CGW cleaned up (lowered the hook and polished) or is it a new CZ offering? Edited by Wideload

as I can recall. ( dont ask why I know this, please dont ask about compact models :) )

this is only 75B fullsize series and SP01 series including Shadows ( 75 Shadows)

B model guns

75B, firing pin block, single side safety, plastic grips

75BD, firing pin block, decocker, plastic grips

75B matt stainless-FPB, upswept beavertail, ambi safeties, D style mag release

75B polished-same as above,

85B-firing pin block ambi safeties, ambi slide release

85C- no firing pin block, ambi safeties, ambi slide release, adj. rear sight

75B Omega, firing pin block, Omega trigger system

75B SA, firing pin block, upswept beavertail, SAO, ambi ext safeties

SP01 series.

SP01-firing pin block, std mag release, std ambi safeties, 2 mags, tritium sights

SP01 Tactical - firing pin block, ambi decocker, tritium sights

SP01 Phantom- polymer frame, firing pin block, ambi decocker

SP01 Shadow- no firing pin block, 85C trigger, ambi ext safeties, ext mag release, FO front, black rear 3 mags

SP01 Shadow Night- same above, tritium night sights

SP01 Shadow Custom 2014- no firing pin block , 85 C trigger, ext safeties, ext mag release, SS guide rod, short reset, action job with CZ hammer, FO front, competition rear, ext firing pin, light firing pin spring, 11# recoil, 13# hammer, polish internals, polish feed ramp

SP01 SHadow ACCU, same as Custom 2014, ACCU bushing, Hajo Competition rear sight

SP01 SHadow ACCU Custom, Same as ACCU, CZC match barrel, target crown, Competition fixed rear sight

SP01 Shadow Target-no firing pin block , 85 C trigger, ext safeties, ext mag release, SS guide rod, action job with CZ hammer, FO front, competition rear, ext firing pin, light firing pin spring, 11# recoil, 13# hammer, polish internals, polish feed ramp (AVAILABLE CZ-USA ONLY)

75 Shadow- short dustcover, no firing pin block, ambi ext safeties, ext mag release

75 Shadow Target-short dustcover, no firing pin block, ambi ext safeties, ext mag release

75 Shadow SAO-same as above, SAO

Thanks man, this helps a lot!

I have a CZ75 SP01 Shadow Target straight from the CZ Custom Shop. I received it late last year after a long wait, and I absolutely love it. With that said...if I had to do it all over again I believe I would buy a regular SP01 and send it to Automatic Accuracy or Cajun Gun Works for their upgrades. Less of an investment and from the reports of people who have had work on their CZs performed by them, there cannot be much difference from what I have right now.

No offense to CZ custom but the premium that they charge is IMO not worth it when you have a bunch of smiths available that can work on standard SP01's for way less than what a CZ Custom Shop Shadow costs.

The trigger in my CZ Shadow Target is just not that great. I mean, its GOOD but its not like its got some sort of supersauce trigger job on it. I replicated the feel COMPLETELY on my SP01 with hand files, stones, a little know how and some patience.

OEM front sights for the SP-01 are blank/dot. Shadow is F/O.

I think the rear sight for the shadow is longer than the SP-01. It is more of an issue with the hammer clearance if using stock hammer. Maybe just upgrade to a competition rear sight?