Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cr speed vs safariland 771 mag pouches

Mike21STI

I have standarised on the Cr Speed Versa pouches. When I decide to swop divsions or move to another weapon platform all have to do is swop the inserts to fit the new mags. Saves a lot of money on new pouches and retains the same position, familiarity with and style of the pouch I know. Works for me.

I've tried both and the 771's I think are the way to go. The CR's always felt like the mags were going to fall out when moving. The 771's felt secure and I got the replacement rollers from Arrendondo and that made an even smoother release. I found that when a product tries to do several things they never do all of the things well. See if you can borrow them from a fellow shooter and try each, then make your decision.

If you can find knurled knobs for the 771's, then i'll go with them since i adjust them depending on the stage given. I've tried cr speed but felt really stable with 771. Again, it depends on what division you are playing as well as how you place them on your belt (angled, upright, etc.)...

There wasn't a major reason for those two choices other than they were close in price and from observation, they just seem to be more common (or its just that i recognize those more than the other name brands out there).

I'm planning on competing in the Limited division (just getting into USPSA, I shoot in IDPA currently but want to start playing the other game as well).

I'm about to buy my limited gear for a 2011, should i go with the CR speed mag pouches or the safariland 771 mag pouches?

I would say neither, I recommend DAA for the whole set up, not just pouches.

Edited by waddo29

The CR speed pouches aren't acceptable to me. My primary pouch had to be replaced as I couldn't keep the CR tight. It would loosen a little and the teeth would eat away at the plastic. It finally got to the point that there wasn't enough material for it to stay tight at all.

The Safariland pouch suffered a similar fate. The screw that adjusts for the tilt of the pouch finally ate away at the base plastic til it wouldn't hold.

The limcat pouch simple wore out. It stopped having enough retention around the mag.

Mind you, this is only my #1 pouch right in the middle of my belt. I practice reloading quite a bit and I'm not gentle. ALL of the afforemention products failed, as far as I'm concerned.

I've since moved on to the DAA Racemaster pouch as my #1 and thus far its heads and tails above the others. Time will tell.

There wasn't a major reason for those two choices other than they were close in price and from observation, they just seem to be more common (or its just that i recognize those more than the other name brands out there).

I'm planning on competing in the Limited division (just getting into USPSA, I shoot in IDPA currently but want to start playing the other game as well).

pm sent

I started with the Safariland and switched to the Limcat Stealths; which I upgraded to the Limcat Transformers. My other rig is all DAA, Race Master holster and pouches; they are indeed great but I feel more comfortable with the Limcat Transformers. It works with any handgun magazines without replacing anything, just adjust with the knobs.