Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SA XDS, 45ACP

Reshoot

According to what I have been reading, the biggest story / news form the 2012 SHOT show is the new Springfield Armory XDS. A compact 45ACP specifically designed for concealed carry. Everyone talking about it has nothing but good things to say . . . so far.

The XDS is a single stack, 5+1 striker fired semi auto, measuring 1" wide.

Now, I have been wanting a new concealed carry weapon to relace my 10 year old 9mm Taurus. I do believe this new XDS is going to wind up on my MUST HAVE list ;)

(edited for speiling)

Edited by Reshoot

It is very small. If its reliable, great, but it's going to be a challenge to shoot well

Check out the GunsAmerica blog. There you will see footage of the XDS on the SHOT range. The shooters commented that you know you are shooting a 45, but it is surprisingly manageable. I'm sure the weight of the gun has a lot to do with that, eh?

The thing weighs 29 ounces....that's not too stealth

I must be missing something. What does weight have to do with stealth? :unsure:

A B2 bomber is stealthy, and weighs 158,000 pounds :surprise:

Edited by Reshoot

This is another case where size is what counts most. Heck, lift weights if it is too heavy, but it sure is able to be hidden. :cheers:

For a holster gun I want more capacity....for a pocket gun I want <10 ounces

Oh and btw....I bench my weight at 48 y/o (250 lbs)....having benched 405 in my youth while weighing 190

FWIW

Rob posted on XD talk.com, that the actual weight is 21 ounces. Or it was someone using his name. All the info I've seen says 29, but no one has weighed one yet. I carry a Kahr CW40 which weighs 17 ounces empty and I think that's a lot. My .40 EMP is 33 empty and it feels like your carrying a rock. I'd consider on at 21, but not at 29

Edited by Marv Z

Rob posted on XD talk.com, that the actual weight is 21 ounces. Or it was someone using his name. All the info I've seen says 29, but no one has weighed one yet. I carry a Kahr CW40 which weighs 17 ounces empty and I think that's a lot. My .40 EMP is 33 empty and it feels like your carrying a rock. I'd consider on at 21, but not at 29

I dunno . . . a 45ACP at 21 ounces would be a hand full!

I shoot an old XD-40 Tactical in L-10, probably got 25,000+ round through it now. I wanted a thin gun to carry and bought a Kahr CW9 (had been carrying an XD-40 Service) I got rid of CW9 because is was unreliable and Kahr glacial customer service. I bought an XD-40SC for carry and like it a lot because of the common controls with my other XD-40s. I miss the thinness of the CW9 though. This new XDs might be a great replacement for my XD-40SC but I think I will wait for the 40S&W or 9mm version. If they can get 6+1 in 40S&W I would consider that seriously.

My CW40 feeds hollowpoints great, but will choke on a flat nose. I agree with you regarding the XDS. 6+1 in 40S&W is the hot tip as far as I'm concerned. If the weight is 21 oz, I'll get one.

LOL at 6:40.

As for the gun itself, I was able to get my hands on it for a little bit at SHOT. Its incredibly thin for a .45. Didnt feel super light, but its def lighter than most holster guns (I carry a G21). I think its a great holster gun for under a tshirt in the warm climates or summer months. I dont think it falls into the "pocket gun" category, tho. I'd like to shoot one to see what how it feels. Full house .45 defense loads in that little package could pack quite a hit. :mellow: Everyone says its shootable "for what it is", meaning its still gonna kick pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

Folks in XDTalk have been begging for a 45 subcompact since Springfield took over the HS-2000 line.

External extractor... That's new for the XD line. Wonder if that was in response to the chatter for one or if they have a real reason for it.

Folks in XDTalk have been begging for a 45 subcompact since Springfield took over the HS-2000 line.

External extractor... That's new for the XD line. Wonder if that was in response to the chatter for one or if they have a real reason for it.

To keep the gun as thin as it is an internal extractor wouldn't work.

Rich

To keep the gun as thin as it is an internal extractor wouldn't work.

Rich

Makes sense. Thanks.

The thing weighs 29 ounces....that's not too stealth

The weight should not be critical. I think the thin shape will be huge ... as well as the chopped grip. Should be very concealable in an IWB holster.

• 1 year later...

Can't wait to get one. They are becoming more available around here. I usually carry my S&W Bodyguard but the .380 has its limits and I hate the super super heavy trigger. I love the size of the gun and I will still carry it when I am in some athletic shorts but I can have the same capacity in .45 and the trigger will be more like my competition XDm's that I run.