Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trusting...your speed

Flexmoney

We have talked a lot, in the past, about trusting.

I know I mention trusting your speed every so often.

Maybe we should talk about that some...because I know that a lot of shooter just aren't doing what needs to be done. I see it in the scoresheets (from the matches I do score for, and online), I see it at the range...I see it in myself, and others.

In our game...time is on everybody's mind. How rich would you be if you had a dollar for every time you heard, "what was your time on that run?"

I know that every match...stage...shot that I have screwed up has been because I was trying to go fast. I know this, because there is no shot in this game that I can't make. (And, if you have learned trigger control and learned how to read the gun...then there is no shot in this game that you can't make either.)

My mistakes have come from the tension of trying to be faster. From accepting less visual input than a shot requires.

You will hear Steve Anderson say to a shooter that had a rough run, "you asked you body/mind for speed". If speed is the foremost thing on the shooters mind...then what will take care of accuracy?

This game is not won on trying to go faster. Trying to go faster is just plain impossible. Here is why:

Today you are as fast as you are going to be today. There is no majic drink that will make you 25% faster than you were two days ago. You have, at your desposal, the physical speed that you have. No more, no less. To try to be faster is an immpossibility. It just can't happen. Wherever your meter pegs out is where it pegs out...today.

Now, you can, of course, practice and work hard day-after-day to improve your skills...remove wasted motion, etc. But, your RAW speed won't change just becasue the guy ahead of you on a stage just shot it two seconds faster than Todd Jarrett...and you feel you have to keep up.

Raw speed...today...is a constant.

Think of it like your eyesight. If you don't have 20/20 vision without your corrective lenses, then you can't really expect to see better today just because you want to...and think you need to. Your vision, today, is a constant. Your speed, today, is a constant.

Also, come match day...you bring the skills to the game that you were born with...or have worked hard to develop in the weeks of practice before the match. You could learn a trick or two at match day. But, the skills you have developed up to the moment of the match, are the skills you can count on. Those are fairly constant.

If you speed is constant, and your skills are constant...then, what is variable?

You know you can make any shot in this game, right? If so, why do you miss the Alpha?

Flex,

Thanks, I needed that. :D I will be shooting my first IPSC match in a year at the Buckeye Blast this weekend. I was thinking about the fact that IPSC shooters shoot faster than IDPA shooters. ;) I guess I will just continue to shoot at my IDPA speed and see what happens. B)

See you this weekend.

Bill Nesbitt

Kyle...good post...

this weekend's match was interesting for me..I had switched back to open from my production rig ( lent it to some visiting shooters).

I haven't shot my open gun since last winter..anyway..the things I noticed...

first shot of the match.."hey no muzzle lift, what's up with that" :D

I shot it like a I have begun shooting the production gun. really calling those shots..the first stage was painfully slow..but the points were high...on my second stage..the natural speed started to come back.. through the day..I had a couple of problems...but for the most part, my points were high, my speed with the open gun started to return, as I got used to the timing..and my confidence was high..

at a recent state match..I was shooting production and I found my times were about the same as one of the master class shooters..but he would consistly shoot a couple of more A's where I would have C's...

Speed is important..but accuracy will separate you on the final results..

Any advice on how to go about trusting, and therefore "not trying" as Brian would say

Bill - I don't know that I qualify to give you any advice, especially after the butt-whooping you dished out on me last weekend :D

I usually try to completely forget about the time it takes to run a stage, instead focusing only on getting/calling good hits. If I planned the proper (fast) way to shoot through a stage, all I can do once the buzzer goes off is call good shots - the rest will take care of itself. Things like footspeed, getting into and out of a box etc...are things I can work on at home in the backyard, but on match day, you just have to let it happen. The trusting aspect comes from knowing that you put in the hard work dryfiring at home and practicing at the range. You put in all the practice time so you could let it happen on match day.

BTW - when we shot a couple weeks ago at Fredericksburg - you were way fast on plenty of stages.

Zach

Any advice on how to go about trusting, and therefore "not trying" as Brian would say

Bill - I don't know that I qualify to give you any advice, especially after the butt-whooping you dished out on me last weekend :D

I usually try to completely forget about the time it takes to run a stage, instead focusing only on getting/calling good hits. If I planned the proper (fast) way to shoot through a stage, all I can do once the buzzer goes off is call good shots - the rest will take care of itself. Things like footspeed, getting into and out of a box etc...are things I can work on at home in the backyard, but on match day, you just have to let it happen. The trusting aspect comes from knowing that you put in the hard work dryfiring at home and practicing at the range. You put in all the practice time so you could let it happen on match day.

BTW - when we shot a couple weeks ago at Fredericksburg - you were way fast on plenty of stages.

Zach

Zach,

Thanks for the kind words! On days when I feel unusually confident and calm, and am only concerned with seeing the dot for every shot I end up trusting and thus performing well, but I'm always fishing for others take on how they get that amazing run.

Any advice on how to go about trusting, and therefore "not trying" as Brian would say?

Just do it ;)

Now, mind you, this a C Limited shooter talking to a M Limited shooter, but it worked for me. After I returned home from the Mid-Atlantic Sectional, I came to the conclusion I could make the shots I wanted to. After that, I just went faster.

Realize that you can pull a two alpha w/ 0.15 splits, you can pull .20 transitions, you can shoot A's at 25 yds on the move. Then, just go faster. Don't try. Don't want. Go.

Speed is merely a result of your skill set and mindset, any focus on speed (in my opinion) will increase the time necessary to accomplish the task. Every stage I've ever shot well, all the focus was spent on seeing each shot and getting to the next target and nothing else.

I shoot bowling pins most often (I'm waiting to get the parts for a limited gun before I shoot IPSC), and have noticed that most often "trying" to go faster costs you time.

I generally shoot faster when I'm completely relaxed and have no expectation of the outcome. It's like putting yourself on auto pilot. You know how to shoot, just call the shots as you shoot. When I can do that I have the sensation that my dot is pushing the pins off the table, just as fast as I can move the dot to the pin.

Brians book really made a differance in my "view" of shooting. I now have a whole different perspective. People who have read "The Book" smile and nod knowingly when I give the answer to "How do you shoot so fast?" I answer "I just put the dot on the pin and pull the trigger, then repeat." The more I shoot and practice the more I trust in myself, and my ability. The only thing that will stop me from attaining my shooting goals is me not trusting myself.

Ray

Realize that you can pull a two alpha w/ 0.15 splits, you can pull .20 transitions.

If you can do that you can win any match in the world. ;)

That is the way I look at it...

Along another line, at a local AP match a few weeks ago, my first shots on the right to left pass on the Mover at 25 yds were all X's. What that tells me is I am capable of shooting X's at 25 yds on the Mover on every shot. It doesn't mean it will happen everytime, but it is possible. And knowing what is possible does wonders for confidence.

Outstanding analysis of "the problem," Flex!

If your approach is wrong - time is more important than how you get the time - the result may be less than satisfactory.

Bill,

You may be able to avoid trying by precisely planning what you know you need to see and do on every single target. Then fuel that with the determination to do so.

You try when you're not sure.

be

In our game...time is on everybody's mind.

Of course it is. The way the scoring system is setup sometimes it's more economical to take a D hit to save a second or two. It's pretty diabolical if you think about it. You actually do have to weigh accuracy vs. speed.

The score vs. time equation is something built into the game to distract us. Should I stay and unload a whole magazine on far steel or just leave it after 3 shots? Should I take the D shots from this position and keep the seconds I save from skipping this other position where I have A shots at that same target? Should I take more time to aim or should I just index it? It's all part of the game that throws us into fits of frustration.

I think one of the aspects of "trusting" means not to let yourself get distracted.

Not to get distracted by the time in this case.

You know you can make any shot in this game, right? If so, why do you miss the Alpha?

Because you let something distract you.

Your conscious mind can only picture, and/or do one thing at a time.

That's why trying to go fast almost always results in disaster...but if you think about it, you got exactly what you pictured...speed.

My new stage prep tool has been great for me to keep whats important in mind.

Flex is absolutely right about your speed being what it is. It would be like racing a v6 mustang against a Saleen Mustang and hoping that the v6 would somehow be"extra fast" today. It is what it is.

I've often thought it would beneficial for new shooter's scores to be recorded as points only with no times...I know it would have saved me six months of wasted time in my first season.

SA

• 2 weeks later...

Flex I hear what you're saying but I am still trying to figure out the speed thing vs accuracy.

Recently I shot a practice IDPA match results below. Of all the shooters I had the least points down and among the revolver shooters I performed well but going faster would have helped. I know the obvious MA & SS shooters are two different worlds. BTW for reference CDP/EX 61.95 (16) won the match.

SSR/MA 1 Curt 62.66 (12) 20.02 (2) 18.97 (7) 12.75 (1) 10.9(2 )

SSR/SS 1 Ralph 73.25 (7) 28.9 (0) 20.61 (4) 14.31 (3) 9.43 (0)

SSR/MM 1 Chuck 77.94 (11) 25.37 (4) 21.58 (3) 18.34 (3) 12.65 (1)

Those of you more expierenced at this issue I sure would like to hear your thoughts.

Curt 56.66 raw time (62.66 really was 62.66 - 6 = 56.66)

Ralph 69.75 raw time (73.25 really was 73.25 - 7 = 69.75)

Difference 13.09 seconds

So 13.09 / 69.75 = 18.8%, I really needed to pick up the pace by about 19% to beat him. Am I on the right track evaluating this? What I'm starting to see is speed is more important than accuracy. I'm not implying missing targets but a down 1 or down 3 here and there isn't a killer.

The flip side to what is being said here is if you shoot down zero (all A's) you're shooting to slow. I know in the above match several times I found myself not preping the trigger and keeping the cylinder moving along with holding the shot for just that split second after seeing what I needed to from the sights to let the shot go. Guess it's time to go back and re-read "Practical Shooting".

Sorry in advance to ask a revolver based example here (LOL), but the real issue is speed vs accuracy. :rolleyes:

...I am still trying to figure out the speed thing vs accuracy.

- Try not to think of it as one VERSUS the other.

- Shoot only as fast as you can call the shot. You'll be spinning your wheels before long if you aren't calling the shoots.

- Know, from calling your shots, where the gun was pointed when the bullet left the barrel.

- From knowing, adjust your shooting so that you get 90% A-zone hits.

- Realize that shooting is a small part of most of the time spent on a stage.

rwmagnus,

What I'm starting to see is speed is more important than accuracy

I wouldn't say that. No matter how fast you are, you are still going to have to shoot 90-95 % of the points on a stage in order to win that stage. Sometimes you even have to shoot 100% of the points to win the stage. Dave proved that point at the Summer Blast a few weeks ago. I thought I had a decent run on a 160 point field course until I saw that he shot 160 points 2 seconds faster than I did!

I said "win the stage" but we all know that you can win a match without even winning one stage. As long as you consistantly shoot good points quickly, you'll be on top. Shooting quickly is good, but shooting good points quickly is better...and a sure winner. Hope that made sense.

Regards,

Todd

"Shooting quickly is good, but shooting good points quickly is better...and a sure winner. Hope that made sense."

LOL yea I guess it's just late enough that it does make sense. I know accuracy is what shooting is all about, w/o hitting the target it isn't much fun. Guess I'm getting to that stage where I feel giving up a few more points for a better time will improve my position in the match. Comming from bullseye competition to IDPA was a big move, one I really enjoyed. Shooting accurately is easier than shooting fast for me, yet everyone says speed will come.

And what Flex said earlier (which I agree with) drives home good points as well. Better efficiency of movement and stage execution IMO increases speed. I'm still abit too new at this style of competition but I'm making progress pretty quickly. Switching to a revolver after 25 years of 1911 expierence has thrown a monkey wrench into the frey as well. I really gotta hand it to the folks, here as well as, the participants in these competitions for a "helping hand" isn't far away.

Howdy.. Shooting is for the most part a mechanical test (Brian sums it up in 3 simple lines). Your greatest challenge actually is removing yourself, your wants,your expectations, your ego from the shooting. That is where the problem starts!!

Think of a double shot- if you can fire that second shot on target as the gun resettles, provided the other mechanics are in place(grip, stance etc), won't that split be fast!! and accurate..?

If you call your shot, and transition during the recoil cycle so that the gun resettles on that second target, again providing the other mechanics are in place (grip, stance etc), won't that transition time be fast!! and accurate..?

So therefore all you need is the 'how' and to be able to execute the 'how'..THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO TRUST- YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF THE HOW & YOUR ABILITY TO EXECUTE THE HOW- nothing else outside of that matters then and there- not your girlfriend watching, not the next competitor, not your SVI at the gunsmith for tuning whilst you have to be shooting this POS- nothing. BE PROCESS-ORIENTED, NOT RESULT-ORIENTED!!.. and speed and accuracy will come, almost as a by-product..

I once witnessed someone practicing to do sub-one second draws and first shot on a target about 5 yds away, and they would occasionally dip under the one second, but they weren't consistent and accuracy would suffer. This person moved fast, everyone around said so (I did too), so why wasn't he getting a consistent sub 1 sec. draw? Guess what he was being result-oriented and he also had mechanical flaws. Out of all the 'hows' that he needed to know I told him the simplest 'how' which was to move on the start of the beep and not at the end of the beep..and thereafter he began to hit draws in the 0.90s consistently.. After about 6 sub 1 secs. attempts he began to climb above the 1 sec. mark again, frustrated he turned to me and I asked 'You are trying to go faster, aren't you??' and he said 'Yes'.

I said I have shown you a 'how' now go and learn the execution of this how..plus you need to learn other 'hows'.. that is what will make you faster and accurate CONSISTENTLY!! enough already

Nice post Paladin.

Yes, in everything, how often does excessive concern over results create our problems.

A clear understanding of the meaning of the word "result" will focus our attention properly.

be

Flex,

Sorry for jumping in so late, but I was prepping for the 3-Gun Nationals and didn't have much time last week. I want to go back to a statement in your original post

"Raw speed...today...is a constant."

I feel your reflections on speed are only a part of the equation. I use the term "Terminal Velocity (TV)" instead of raw speed, but I guess it really doesn't matter. Where I find your reflections incomplete are in the "Applicability" of your TV. In your example of vision and Steve's example of the racing cars, both are accurate examples for your point, but they leave out the "Applicabililty" of a shooters TV. I like to think of it like this (for you NASCAR fans), the TV of a stock-car may be 220 mph. In terms of TV or raw speed, the tops this car can physically or mechanically give you is 220 mph. If you put this car on the salt flats and let it run wide open, you get 220 mph. But if you run this car down a two lane interstate, there will be some places you can get 220, but there will be other places where you can only go 120 or slower, BUT the TV of the car is still 220. The APPLICATION of the speed is what changes, not the TV. Where a shooter gets into a problem is not trying to go faster than that individual's TV can allow-(as you correctly stated, you cannot exceed your TV on any given day), the problem as I see it is attempting to apply too much speed to a given situation (course of fire). They try to drive that car around a curve at a speed they cannot handle. End result is they crash. The application of speed is what makes this sport so challenging. How many times have you walked off a stage and said one of two things, either "I shot that one a little conservatively, I think I could have gone a little faster or If I had slowed down a little bit, I probably wouldn't have had that miss". Interestingly both of these results still involve the whole process of seeing the front sight and calling your shot. The difference between the two is the state of mind of the shooter at the time of each individual shot. Many times you have said (I think), See only what you need to make the shot, no more, no less. What is the practical difference between "no more, no less"? Is it one second?, 1/2 sec.?, 1/4 sec., one tenth? Can we as human beings consistantly recognize AND reproduce a no more, no less sight picture? I thinks its the perfection we strive to achieve (myself included). The ultimate state where there is no wasted movement, thought, perception, and action. A stimulus occurs and we react without conscious thought or action, but invariably, the inability of the human body to maintain timex-like precision to stimulus results in taking 1/4 sec. too long on a target. Our conscious brain recognizes we took too long for that individual shot and trys to correct that oversight, continually struggling to maintain the No more, No less concept. The next shot might be perfect or a 1/4 sec. too fast. Whatever it is, our conscious has turned off the auto-pilot (subconscious) and is attempting to make extremely finite adjustments it has no hope of being able to consistently reproduce. These adjustments on the micro scale (individual shots and sight pictures) and the macro scale (sections of a stage or the course of fire as a whole) is where the application of your TV occurs. As long as we have the ability to manipulate our speed in relation to a given stimulus, we will always have to deal with "going too fast". I don't see speed as a constant. Unless we apply 100% of our TV to EVERY stimulus, speed cannot be a constant. Striving to make the application of speed a constant is an intersting concept. Maybe for another time, after I think about that one for a while.

Sorry for all the capitol lettering, I can't find my italics key.

Erik

Those of you more expierenced at this issue I sure would like to hear your thoughts.

So 13.09 / 69.75 = 18.8%, I really needed to pick up the pace by about 19% to beat him. Am I on the right track evaluating this? What I'm starting to see is speed is more important than accuracy. I'm not implying missing targets but a down 1 or down 3 here and there isn't a killer.

The flip side to what is being said here is if you shoot down zero (all A's) you're shooting to slow.

Nope, the thing you forget is that you will drop points without trying to. Your intent must be to get the best points you can without spending any more time than neccessary to call the shot acurately. That is where calling the shots comes into play big time. You won't call them all correctly, or some you will just let go because they are acceptable hits, but you will drop points without the intention to do so. You can't plan on dropping points, you can only plan to shoot the targets as effeciently as you can see them. Speed is what it is, some people shoot faster than they can see and get lucky, and some day you can not beat them, but they usually crash and burn a stage or two and that is where you kill them by getting all your points as effeciently as you can.

If you shooting all A's has nothing to do with shooting too slow if done correctly, you can shoot an A as fast as a D or Miss.