Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tactical, battle, Zombie killer

1911vm

I really want a very good working rifle. Not for 3 gun ( maybe as backup only) . Call it tactical, battle, Zombie killer whatever. My criteria is Reliability first, high quality part that will run for a while. After some research this looked very nice http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.3_JP15VTAC.php I am thinking of just the upper I have a very nice pre-ban bushy lower I can use. Am I making a good choice or are their better options.

Excellent choice, more than highly recommended :-)

It is not a "heavy" rifle, in fact, the JP rifles are among the lightest AR's out there.

Yes, there are other solid AR's out there but JP is among the best in reliability, fit and function.

I really want a very good working rifle. Not for 3 gun ( maybe as backup only) . Call it tactical, battle, Zombie killer whatever. My criteria is Reliability first, high quality part that will run for a while. After some research this looked very nice http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.3_JP15VTAC.php I am thinking of just the upper I have a very nice pre-ban bushy lower I can use. Am I making a good choice or are their better options.

"pre ban", is that a state thing?

JP is hard to go wrong with but so are many others. Firebird is another great choice. I think it's kinda hard to find a bad upper when you get to any of the big name builders. If it is a SHTF type gun, maybe look at a piston driven gun. Firebird has one of those too. Really, I think it comes down to finding what you want, either out of the box or have someone build it for you. I've got a 16" gun built by Firebird that is my go to gun. It runs and runs. I didn't build it for competitions but I have shot it in a few and have found it works really well.

JP is hard to go wrong with but so are many others. Firebird is another great choice. I think it's kinda hard to find a bad upper when you get to any of the big name builders. If it is a SHTF type gun, maybe look at a piston driven gun. Firebird has one of those too. Really, I think it comes down to finding what you want, either out of the box or have someone build it for you. I've got a 16" gun built by Firebird that is my go to gun. It runs and runs. I didn't build it for competitions but I have shot it in a few and have found it works really well.

yes it is. pre 94 production, that way I can have an adj stock.( totaly stupid) I looked at firebird websight anddid not see any uppers.

But now that you said I am sending Benny Hill a different project maybe he can do this upper for me also.

I really want a very good working rifle. Not for 3 gun ( maybe as backup only) . Call it tactical, battle, Zombie killer whatever. My criteria is Reliability first, high quality part that will run for a while. After some research this looked very nice http://www.jprifles.....3_JP15VTAC.php I am thinking of just the upper I have a very nice pre-ban bushy lower I can use. Am I making a good choice or are their better options.

yes it is. pre 94 production, that way I can have an adj stock.( totaly stupid) I looked at firebird websight anddid not see any uppers.

But now that you said I am sending Benny Hill a different project maybe he can do this upper for me also.

Anything built up by Benny is a top grade choice also :-)

For what you want, the JP may be too much of a thoroughbred. I'd look instead at one of the 16" midlength or 18" rifle length uppers from Bravo Company. Super tough and reliable, and very accurate too.

I've been very happy with mine. Here is my lightweight 16" middy, which feels like a stick of balsa wood:

16AR15LightWeightRHS.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

For what you want, the JP may be too much of a thoroughbred. I'd look instead at one of the 16" midlength or 18" rifle length uppers from Bravo Company. Super tough and reliable, and very accurate too.

I've been very happy with mine. Here is my lightweight 16" middy, which feels like a stick of balsa wood:

16AR15LightWeightRHS.jpg

I like the looks but cannot find your upper on their site.

A lot of the smaller custom shops, like Benny Hill or Firebird, don't have a lot listed on their websites because they will make what you want. I'd wait a week or so after shot and give a call to some of those guys and tell them what you are looking for. I know I've bought stuff only to start changing it as soon as I get it so buying it the way you want is usually the way to go.

Edited by kellyn

16AR15LightWeightRHS.jpg

I like the looks but cannot find your upper on their site.

I actually bought this one without the handguard, cut down the FSB (10 minutes with a hacksaw and Dremel) then installed a 15" Midwest Industries SS-15 handguard. You will, however, see several similar uppers on their website. Here are some examples:

BCM-URG-MID-16%20MI%20SS12-2.jpg

BCM-URG-MID-16%20BFH%20VTRX13-2.jpg

Or, if you are handy with tools, you could buy the upper without handguard and do what I did:

BCM-URG-MID-16LW%20BFH-2.jpg

I actually prefer the cut-down FSB as it is pinned on and thus cannot vibrate loose like a low-profile gas block secured with set screws. I had that happen once on an old Dissipator upper, and of course it came to a screeching halt. The same for adjustable gas systems... its the difference between a competition thoroughbred and a workhorse carbine (which you say is your primary requirement).

Edited by StealthyBlagga

After 30 years of carrying a badge and a gun i am inclined to fall back on what a very famous and noted old Border Patrolman said: "Don't trust your life on any weapon with 'automatic' in its name." I have an 870 SG, a Model 70 '06 and a Ruger Security Six .357 magnum.

Now those are not the guns i play the 3 gun game with, but those are my 'go with' guns.

:cheers:

After 30 years of carrying a badge and a gun i am inclined to fall back on what a very famous and noted old Border Patrolman said: "Don't trust your life on any weapon with 'automatic' in its name." I have an 870 SG, a Model 70 '06 and a Ruger Security Six .357 magnum.

Now those are not the guns i play the 3 gun game with, but those are my 'go with' guns.

870 got one on both floors of the house and 3rd in the bedroom. model 19 always not far away. But my bow and arows are all over the place, 100% reliable.(forget automatic or not) do not forget before sam colt indians outshot black powder 20 to 2 shots per min.

I find that surprising since I've seen more pump shotguns choke in matches than semis. Not trying to be a smartass, just an observation. I have two 870s, but would grab my 3-gun shotgun first if given the oppertunity.

(BTW I know this really isn't an Enos kinda topic, so mods please don't get pissed)

I can't think of a better choice for this application than the JP that you are looking at. JP wants to get deeper into this market and is producing tactical guns as good as anyones and better than most. And yes, there are a lot of other good options out there but in my experience none is better.

I can't think of a better choice for this application than the JP that you are looking at. JP wants to get deeper into this market and is producing tactical guns as good as anyones and better than most. And yes, there are a lot of other good options out there but in my experience none is better.

Thanks this is the answer I have been waiting for. I just want a good, go to rifle and this just seemed like a good choice.

+1

You might also look at the Larue PredatAR. I almost purchased one, but it lacked a few things that my JP has.

That being said, my reliable, go to rifle for gaming and defense (if the need arises) is my Robinson XCR. Check it out. It is one slick set up.

JP makes top shelf stuff, but there are many reliable rifles out there. I have a JP CTR02, but if I was going to grab one out of the safe that I had to trust to be reliable, even after it was dirty, it would be the old Colt R6600 that I shoot Limited with, it has been extremly reliable without much cleaning and you can pick them up for less than $1k now days. The JP is reliable, but more of a race car type of thing, the old Colt is like a good, cheap work car.

Hurley

+1

I don't own a Colt, but I think you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with it. I'd also consider BCM, Noveske, and LaRue.

I live aprx 6-9 miles from colt factory and it is illegal for me to own one

+1

I don't own a Colt, but I think you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with it. I'd also consider BCM, Noveske, and LaRue.

I live aprx 6-9 miles from colt factory and it is illegal for me to own one

:surprise:

Wow.

Edited by 59Bassman

FWIW, I have a Colt, and I'll never buy another one. It's a HBAR match, and my son's $600 Delton will run circles around it and shoot groups at 100 yds less than half the size. Not trying to make this a bashing forum or argument, but there are so many rifles out there. My go to gun is my JP. It is my match rifle and it is a running SOB. I absolutely love my JP and I also love my JP back up rifle, but it is set up a little different, and it is very nice, but not the same as my match gun.