Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550 on the way, need 9 minor shopping list.

Patrick Scott

Ordered up a 550 kit from Brian this weekend. I have no components on hand at the moment just brass. I would like to try to buy powder locally due to shipping cost. Ill be loading 9 minor for Production for two guns one is a G34 the other a G19. What powders should be on my list of options? I already have N320, Titegroup, Solo 1000, and WST on the list. What else is out there I should be looking for? I will be running 147gr bullets. After reading on the forums here I really want to find some 320, but I don't know if anyone around here will have it. I want to have a powder list sorted out so I can call the shops in the area to see if they have any on hand before venturing out to buy some.

Thank You

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

You really can't go wrong with N320 and 147 gr bullets for 9mm minor, though there are other powders nearly as good (and you've hit several of them in your post).

My personal opinion is that N320 is worth ordering even if you can't find it local. (That said, it's not a cheap powder, and having to pay the hazmat fee doesn't help.)

Keep in mind if you have to order powder and primers online, you have to pay a hazmat shipping tax, so it's great if you can find powder locally, however a lot of the more popular competition powders like VV-N320 (Limited minor), or N105 / IMR7625 (Open major) are rarely carried at your local Sportsman's Warehouse, so most people order the bigger jugs when buying online and stock it, so they can cut down on the hazmat charges.

Edited by JasonS

Clays should be on that list....I'm sure that a local shop will have it. Primers.....Calipers.....A scale....Kinetic bullet puller....ammo storage boxes....Tumbler and media....chronograph...

Just a quick beginners note, there are different types of "Clays" powder, and they load differently. (Universal, Plain, etc.)

Thanks guys,

I bought the NR Topnotch kit so all the hardware is taken care of. I reloaded quite a bit in high school(class of 98), but now that I have my own place, family, ect, I have no idea where all my stuff went so I ordered up the whole shebang for a fresh start.

Clays was on the list, but I knew there are different ones and don't what they are so I left it out for now.

Titegroup will work fine for minor loads for production class. During the primer shortage I used all sorts of primers and they all worked fine. I load 124 gr MGs for my Glocks. But this thread has some 147 loads.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140668&st=0&p=1585986&hl=147&fromsearch=1entry1585986

Dave

You want plain Clays....

Is Clays any good under a 125grn. Moly coated bullet?

That, I don't know...but someone here on the forum will. When I was using Clays, I was shooting a 40 in Production. 3.2 of Clays with a 180 bullet is very soft....

1. 2-3 reloading manuals

2. A case or 2 of Montana Gold bullets, 4 lb jug of powder, 5000 pistol primers, Federal, CCI, or Winchester. Free range brass!

3. Caliber correct shell plate and carbide dies with locking rings.

4. Dies where the seating and Taper crimp are separate. I like the Redding comp. seater and Lee full length taper crimp dies.

5. EGW U die. A resizing/decapping die available at EGW gun works. Google "EGW gun" for the web site.

6. Digital Calipers.

7. Digital powder scale from Brian Enos.com.

8. Case gauge for your caliber. I prefer the EGW 4 in 1 case gauge check.

9. Case tumbler and walnut or corn cob media and Nu Finish car polish.

10. "Hornady One Shot" spray can of case lube.

11. Several one gallon ziplock bags to store the range brass you pick up.

12. An old coffee can to put the screw up rounds in.

13. Bullet puller to recover your screw up round components.

14. Dillon primer flip tray. It is the best.

15. Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph

16. A good notebook.

17. Case tumbler media separater pan and 1 &1/2 gallon bucket.

18. Primer pick up tubes, 2 each size

19. Several plastic ammo boxes to store your loaded rounds.

20. A STURDY reloading bench in a quiet place to spend many many hours.

21. A fellow experienced Dillon 550 reloader on speed dial!

Edited by Red Ryder

14. Dillon primer flip tray. It is the best.

I'm just getting set up as well and it took me a second to figure out what the shrink wrapped discus was in my Dillon order. That thing is one serious primer flip tray!

Congrats Patrick! You reloaded previously, so you know the hobby.

But, the 550 brings one potential pit fall I think you should be aware of:

-while the Dillon 550 is MUCH faster than a single stage press, it is possible to double charge while taking advantage of the newfound speed. ANY press can be forced to double charge. But I prefer an auto-indexing press like the Dillon SDB, 650 or 1050 for safety's sake; I also use the Dillon powder check die.

Should you use your new 550? OF COURSE! It is an awesome press.

But knowing the possibility for a double charge, I would opt to add an LED light shining right on the station after the powder charge & pay attention for possible double charges.

And most important of all: reload with NO distractions at all. No music, no interuptions, put the dog in the backyard while loading, etc.

Congrats Patrick! You reloaded previously, so you know the hobby.

But, the 550 brings one potential pit fall I think you should be aware of:

-while the Dillon 550 is MUCH faster than a single stage press, it is possible to double charge while taking advantage of the newfound speed. ANY press can be forced to double charge. But I prefer an auto-indexing press like the Dillon SDB, 650 or 1050 for safety's sake; I also use the Dillon powder check die.

Should you use your new 550? OF COURSE! It is an awesome press.

But knowing the possibility for a double charge, I would opt to add an LED light shining right on the station after the powder charge & pay attention for possible double charges.

And most important of all: reload with NO distractions at all. No music, no interuptions, put the dog in the backyard while loading, etc.

The only way to double charge a case with the 550 is to not index it after the initial powder drop. Not indexing it means you will re-size, deprime, and prime a case that has just been re-sized, de-primed, and primed, you will also be trying to set a bullet on top of another bullet in the seat stage, and you will not hear the thunk of the round dropping into the completed cartridge bin....

The 550 is no more inherently "unsafe" than any other press, including the auto index ones, and is perhaps more safe, as it more user involved....It is much harder to load a squib with a 550 (IMO) than an auto index press. The auto index presses, you just get cranking along, especially with a bullet feeder and case feeder installed, and before you know it, you look up, and the powder hopper is empty, and you have no idea how long it has been empty. I'm not saying it's impossible to load a squib on a 550...But with all the hand moving (grabbing a bullet, grabbing a case), your eyes constantly pass back and forth across the powder measure, so you can see how much is left. Just my.02