Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shorty 9mm major

Dave S

I have a STI frame Caspian slide shorty currently in 38 super which needs a new barrel. It has a schumann ribbed, 3 popple barrel in it now so I'm forced to go with a schumann ribbed barrel for it's replacement (not a bad thing). However the only one schumann is offering is with 2 popple's. (unless I can sweet talk them into a special production)

I really want to go with 9 major in this gun as my primay shooter is a 5" in 9 major and I love it. I also have a 5" in 38 super....so I'm a touch torn.

My concern is can I make major with 9mm in a shorty with 2 popples. Anyone out there with experience about this? I'm shooting IMR7625 with a 124gr in my 9 major now and it's a great load, but not opposed to changing.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure people will recommend no holes for 9 major from what I've read/heard. They sell the

Without and if you decide later, you can have smith drill them. From everything I know 3 holes for 9 major is hard to do.

That would be my choice but Schumann doesn't show it available, hence my comment about sweet talking them. Seems to me they could pull one off assembly before the CNC drilled the holes but I really don't know anything about the process.

I have two holes in my commander length 9mm. Just a thought but I have seen people put regular barrels back in slides with the ribbed barrel cutout.

So you're making major PF okay? I forgot to metnion the gun currently has a Bedell comp.

Have to think about the regular barrel.....

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure people will recommend no holes for 9 major from what I've read/heard. They sell the

Without and if you decide later, you can have smith drill them. From everything I know 3 holes for 9 major is hard to do.

That would be my choice but Schumann doesn't show it available, hence my comment about sweet talking them. Seems to me they could pull one off assembly before the CNC drilled the holes but I really don't know anything about the process.

Another option is their AET barrels. Plus, check Brownell's, Shooters Connection, and post under the classifieds. Maybe someone has one.

I've seen people replace with regular bulls. It doesn't look terrible, not perfect, but not terrible. I'd give the company a call and if the wait time is too long or not possible then look at the other options. Could always go 38 super or supercomp... More powder choices. Picking up brass is fun!

I have a STI frame Caspian slide shorty currently in 38 super which needs a new barrel. It has a schumann ribbed, 3 popple barrel in it now so I'm forced to go with a schumann ribbed barrel for it's replacement (not a bad thing). However the only one schumann is offering is with 2 popple's. (unless I can sweet talk them into a special production)

I really want to go with 9 major in this gun as my primay shooter is a 5" in 9 major and I love it. I also have a 5" in 38 super....so I'm a touch torn.

My concern is can I make major with 9mm in a shorty with 2 popples. Anyone out there with experience about this? I'm shooting IMR7625 with a 124gr in my 9 major now and it's a great load, but not opposed to changing.

Forget the holes for 9 major in the shorty.

Stay with 38 super! Two holes will work also. I run the 3 hole Sch in a 5 inch. My 9 major guns never shot as flat as my 38 SC.

Dave I've got a Shorty with no holes 9 major, and 3 FS guns 9 major. I think there are two ways to tame a 9 major shorty. The first makes it nearly full size and that is a Dawson DP-2 comp. The second would be two holes and a Brazos TC II comp. These are just my humble Opinions but with some expierence. My shorty with a Brazos TC II and a 172pf Silhouette load with 125gr shoots nice but no where near as nice as the full size gun with the DP-2.

I just sold the last of my IMR7625 to a guy with a Super gun, it didn't do the trick for my 9 major guns. In fact I didn't like it in 38SC either.

I have not seen any 9 majors in this part of the country running Hybrid Barrels. I think that AKAI has built a few maybe give him a call.

I think the hybrid is worth a shot, but you better have a blast shield!

Hello: With the Bedell shorty I had in 9mm I was using HS-6 and 115grain Montana Gold JHP's. It shot very flat and soft for a shorty. I would not put any holes in the barrel for a shorty 9mm. I think you will be able to get a barrel from Mike at Schuemann with no holes if you order one and wait. It should make a good 9mm open pistol with a light comp on the end. Thanks, Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave!

Over here in Europe we are common in shooting 9mm Major.

As an example for typical setup here is to use a Trubor Hybrid-barrel 4,15" with Thunderstorm-Comp.

With e.g. 9,0 grn SP2-powder (or 8,6 grn VV3N37), 124grn FMJRN bullet easy gives a "good" major factor!

Aslo that setup shoots very flat and has a smooth recoil.

Regards

Wolfgang

post-18204-0-02395500-1327265660_thumb.j

Is Brazos selling their short Trubor barrels separately from complete guns?

i don´t think so, i bought a 5" barrel and made the thread, and the comp separately, but i am not sure, i haven´t seen it

best regards

Edited by chucupis

• 2 weeks later...

I here is the thing. as you 7625 fills the case pretty good. I dont think you can fit enough in the case with holes and a shorty. BUT autocomp can. I have been real happy with my 7.1 grain auto comp load in my fullsize gun and 7.3 in a matchmaster with no holes. I feel pretty cofident you could do it with autocomp. but i will let you know soon :)