Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Win 231 in .45 cap lrn

Mikethor

I do and I'm happy with it. It is versatile, can be used in a lot of different calibers, and there is a bunch of published data on the powder since it has been around so long. BTW, HP38 is the same powder and generally is a bit less expensive.

I use exactly the same load as Codemonkey (5.6 grains) over a 230 gr. FMJ at exactly the same length he specifies (1.265"). Very reliable, with good muzzle velocity, and good accuracy in a variety of handguns, including:

3 1/2" bbl Colt OACP

4 1/4" bbl S&W 1911PD

5" bbl Colt GM

5" bbl Ed Brown SF

3.78" bbl Glock G36

4.6" bbl Glock G21SF

4 5/8" bbl Ruger Blackhawk with .45 ACP cylinder installed

KW

I use Win 231 for 9mm, 38 spec 357 mag, 40 S&W, 45 acp 45 schofield, and 45 Colt. I have been searching for something better. There is not. IMO I use Trail Boss for cowboy loads and VV N320 for competition 9mm. My goto powder for 40 S&W and 45 acp is Win231. My $0.02 worth. :unsure:

I've messed with quite a few different powders for .45acp - bullesye, 700x, accurate #2/#5/and #7, the dots red/blue/and green, Unique, royal scot, WW452AA, WW540 (now HS-6), WW231, and a few cheap-o pull powders.

Now WW231 is pretty much the only powder I buy and keep for .45. (although, I still have several pounds of WW452AA I'm saving for when the .45 comp gun makes a resurgence....5.7g over one of Rick McDowell's 180g Competition Specialties bullet was the cat's meow!)

WW 231 is very accurate, meters great, works with all .45 loads, maybe a little dirty but i never thought it was that bad. A great go-to powder for the .45 acp.

Just to throw out a suggestion. I did a taste-test comparison yesterday with 100 rounds of each of 231 and WST loaded to the same power factor. SLow-fire, bill drills, and timing drills. The 231 was ever so slightly softer feeling than the WST but WAY Dirtier and Smokier than the WST. THey both felt good and metered well. Just liked the cleaner, less smokey way the WST shot. YMMV. Was shooting Vit.N320 before and either of these was an improvement in .45ACP in my opinion.

Happy Holidays!

Cheers623

DVC

• 1 month later...

Well finally chonographed my nice shooting load and using Best Bullets 230 grn LRN with 4.5 grn WSI 231 (Lee load manual shows 765 fps)the chrono was showing around the 650 fps mark which hits around 149-150 PF. No wonder it was nice shooting, anyway have done a batch using 4.8 grn and 5.0 grn which should be closer to the 170 PF. Will test these later this week. I needed the the practice anyway and its fun making these loads.

Well finally chonographed my nice shooting load and using Best Bullets 230 grn LRN with 4.5 grn WSI 231 (Lee load manual shows 765 fps)the chrono was showing around the 650 fps mark which hits around 149-150 PF. No wonder it was nice shooting, anyway have done a batch using 4.8 grn and 5.0 grn which should be closer to the 170 PF. Will test these later this week. I needed the the practice anyway and its fun making these loads.

4.8 made major for me out of a 5 inch Gov't Model. It was soft shooting and accurate, a little dirtier than WST but not that bad.

4.8 made major for me out of a 5 inch Gov't Model. It was soft shooting and accurate, a little dirtier than WST but not that bad.

Thanks for that. i am shooting a 5 inch sig 1911 so will see how the new loads work out.

What OAL are you using?

I saw posts about 1.25, and my STI Trojan will not tolerate that at all with Lead. For FMJ,that is a perfect length in my gun.

Couple different guys mentioned 1.20. I'm going to give that a try, but just thought it was interesting with everyone using a longer OAL with lead.

Just to throw out a suggestion. I did a taste-test comparison yesterday with 100 rounds of each of 231 and WST loaded to the same power factor. SLow-fire, bill drills, and timing drills. The 231 was ever so slightly softer feeling than the WST but WAY Dirtier and Smokier than the WST. THey both felt good and metered well. Just liked the cleaner, less smokey way the WST shot. YMMV. Was shooting Vit.N320 before and either of these was an improvement in .45ACP in my opinion.

Happy Holidays!

Cheers623

DVC

Shooting a 5" .45 Springfield with a fitted Barsto barrel. W231 works good but as some have said it is dirty. I finally changed over to WST and it is better for me than W231. I is cleaner in my gun and gives better accuracy by far over the W231.

Oldtrooper

Mikethor - 5.4 grains of 231 makes a very accurate load with good 230 grain LRN bullets. bump to 5.6 for 230 FMJ

-john

Thanks John, have not been able to Chrono the 5.1 grain load yet but 5.3/5.4 will be by next testing load depending on how the 5.1 goes. The bullets I`m using are Best 230 gain LRN and they have some gold coating on them.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Mikethor - 5.4 grains of 231 makes a very accurate load with good 230 grain LRN bullets. bump to 5.6 for 230 FMJ

-john

Had not chronoed any loads for a very long time and have a big shoot coming up.

Lucky I did, I'm shooting a colt gold cup at the moment and now using berrys plated 230 grain same coal and 5.1 g of 231. Average of 650 fps and need 740 from memory to make major - big drop changing from the sig and to plated from lrn.

Just brewing up a batch using 5.4 of 231 which should do the trick ??