Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry gun options

sgrc1

I currently own a Glock 27 for defense purposes, I carry it every day in a wide variety of positions (fanny pack, Inside the waist, and mostly in my pockey without any kind of support), the gun is very carriable but I find it to recoil a bit too much and a bit uncontrollable. Recently I have been trainning and shooting Limited with an SVI .40 and I start to feel uncomfortable carrying around a totally different trigger system (which I havent been shooting much lately, before I was shooting production with a Glock 17 so it made perfect sense), so the thing is I am thinking of chaning it for a compact STI/SVI gun - the question is which is the best one for this purpose?, I am thinking of a .40 if recoil is much more controllable in this platform and if not then probably will go with a 9mm.

I need basically something as close as possible to the glock 27 in size (something narrower would be nice but not mandatory). So far the only thing I have seen has been the STI VIP but that one is a big too big for pocket purposes (regular Levi jeans for example).

Any suggestions?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Larry Cazes

I favor the smaller framed guns like my SIG P232 in .380. Corbon 90 grain +P+ JHPs are rated as high as most 9mm loads these days.

Look at thr Kahr Arms guns, especially the polyner framed versions.

If you want a small gun that works like your SVI, then Springfield, Kimber, and Para-Ordnance all make tiny guns that are even smaller than the Officer's ACP.

STI makes some reduced size models too.

Unless you're prohibited for legal reasons (no military calibers), why not go to a G26? 9mm is very controllable in the 26. With modern 9mm loads there's no legitimate "tactical" argument against it anymore as there are loads that very nearly duplicate 357 magnum - and nobody's accused it of being a sissy gun lately.

Unless you're prohibited for legal reasons (no military calibers), why not go to a G26? 9mm is very controllable in the 26. With modern 9mm loads there's no legitimate "tactical" argument against it anymore as there are loads that very nearly duplicate 357 magnum - and nobody's accused it of being a sissy gun lately.

Eric,

Come-on, everyone knows 9mm is a huge sissy round. That is why in slacks or or shorts I carry a Keltec 32 ACP...That is over 2-1/2 times the number of a 9.... :P

When I can, I carry a Springfield Micro-compact 45, which is very concealable, but not as much as the Keltec.

Travis

EricW, well you know I did give the G26 a try with some +P ammo Ranger by Winchester, and it was not as controllable as I had hoped for, I started to think that it was the design of the mini-glocks that made them so harsh (at least for me).

I hoped for a compact STI, but from what I have been reading the smallest STI is the "VIP" which is not so compact. I haven´t looked at the Para´s or Springfield´s - I guess I need to go shopping.

Anybody has had experience with the small Para´s in .40 or 9mm?, are they more controllable than the mini-glocks?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I will soon be looking to purchase a carry gun. I will be looking at the Kahr polymer frame .40. I have also looked at the Keltec in 9mm. I will not carry anything less a 9mm. As much as I shoot 1911s I don't really want to carry a single action pistol. I like Glocks but they are really thick and the 26,27 just doesn't do it for me. I don't know why? Anything else I should look at? As of now I am leaning towards the Kahr in 40, maybe 9mm. I have shot the steel frame Kahr 40 and loved it. Good trigger and very accurate for a smallish pistol. TXAG

smith & wesson 3913 or cs9

I know smith autos have gottten a bad rap in the past, but I've been using them since the early 90's, and they have been very reliable.

with the exception of the safety/decocking lever, all the controls on the smith auto are in the same place as a 1911. the mag release and slide stop are just where they belong, if you think that is not important, try shooting a sig with your thumb high 1911 grip, that lever your now holding down is the slide stop.

the double action trigger pull is hard but smooth, the single action pull and re-set are short, and it feels very similar to a 1911 trigger re-set, alot heavier than my racegun, but the re-set feel about the same.

plus they are american made with a life time warrenty.

smith & wesson 3913 or cs9

I know smith autos have gottten a bad rap in the past, but I've been using them since the early 90's, and they have been very reliable.

I carry a SW 6904 since 2001.

It's a 1992 first 6904 model (squared trigger guard) I bought used.

It's lightweight, since frame is alloy, and easily concealable.

I'm totally satisfied with it and I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

I even used it for a local IPSC night match in Production division, and placed decently (around 70% of match winner), despite the fact it doesn't have night sights.

I will soon be looking to purchase a carry gun. I will be looking at the Kahr polymer frame .40. . . . Anything else I should look at? As of now I am leaning towards the Kahr in 40, maybe 9mm. I have shot the steel frame Kahr 40 and loved it. Good trigger and very accurate for a smallish pistol. TXAG

If you're going with a Kahr polymer frame, I'd get the 9mm. In fact, I'd go with 9mm in just about any carry gun over .40. The difference in terminal ballistics for modern JHP ammunition is negligible and 9mm is easier to shoot than .40, especially in a light gun like a polymer framed Kahr. .40 doesn't really give you any advantages.

The S&W 3913 and 3914 are very nice guns. They're not much bigger than a Kahr and about the same thickness. You can't go wrong with one of them, or with their "bargain" cousin, the 908.

I agree with Rhino.

Especially for a Glock shooter.... you would find the Kahr PM-9 very easy to live with. The DAO trigger and the squared off slide will make you feel right at home.

I put MMC rear sights on mine to match my Glocks... and I have to agree with some of the famous gun writers.... "it may be the perfect daily carry gun."

Regarding the 9 MM comments... I stoke mine with Corbon 125 grain +P cartridges and don't feel unprotected....

Hey it's nearly identical bullet speed and weight as a .357 snubbie.

Well "nobody" has been remiss. The 9mm and the .357 are hereby accused of being sissy guns. They are fine for sport, but if one is shooting to live then .45 ACP has been the best solultion for sidearm carry for some time now.

Carrying concealed is a learned skill, just as is shooting. When I am being too irresponsible to carry properly I have a Colt Mustang .380 for a watch fob....

What ever happen to the Colt Pony? I thought that would be a nice carry gun. Guess that went the way of everything else Colt use to make. I don't have a problem with 9mm. Yes, the new ammo is quite impressive over the old ball or even JHP of the past. I don't have a problem carrying a 1911 on my hip cocked and locked. Don't really want one concealed. I really like the steel frame Kahr but they aren't light. I will go to the local shop and check out the Baby Glocks and holsters. I might change my mind. I haven't shot a S&W auto in years. I haven't really even seen one in the stores. I will give them a look too. Thanks guys. TXAG

I carry a Kahr P-9, and I like it a lot. I don't shoot it as often as I should, but when I do, it is always reliable (except for the mag I doctored to hold one extra round, which damaged the mag release...oops).

Anyway, the problem is that the lighter and smaller the gun is, the more pronounced the recoil will feel. I like the Kahr because it's really thin, but I can still grab it will all my fingers, and I think that helps with the recoil, but it still feels like it kicks like, I dunno, a small and feisty rodent trying to get out of my hands. The grip is also smaller than optimum to really control well, but it sure does conceal.

It's controllable enough for me to qualify as "sharpshooter" in IDPA with it (same as with my Kimber 5" 1911...so can't be too bad), but it does jump around.

Anyway, if it has to be 1911 style, I think the LS-9 and BLS-9 from STI are the best bets. A steel framed Kahr would be nice and controllable, if you're willing to lug the wieght around (really not all that much).

DogmaDog

First off, I am amazed that this thread hasn't been killed by one of the moderators. I started a thread when i first joined the forum about what people carried, and it was killed in 3 posts. <_<

For my $0.02 I carry a G36, in .45ACP. Small, but still enough bang to take care of business.

I am surprised no one has told you to stick with the Glock 27.. When you say controllable, what are you expecting??? That type of a handgun carried concealled is going to ge used at short distances, up close and personal. You cant compare it to a full size .40 Cal SVI. they are meant for different purposes. I think the suggestion to carry the Glock 26 makes sense if you dont like the larger caliber.

Why would this post be killed? It is in the "stock gun" posts? We aren't talking about anything political!? Anyway I will be going to the local shop tomorrow after work. Been having withdrawels lately. 12 hour work days have kept me away. :( I really don't want to carry a revolver. I want max rounds in a small package. I really can't conceal my G35 or P16 so next best thing is a smallish auto. The STIs are out of the question. I refuse to pay that much for a carry gun. I am having a hard time looking at $500 for something I won't shoot that much. I have other gun dreams also. The Kahr to me fits my hand better than a G26/27. I just need to handle some of the smaller autos and see what feels good to me. TXAG

We aren't talking about anything political!?

There are more forum guidelines than just "political".

Read them Here: Forum Guidelines

Here are part of those Guidelines...

Intent

This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions applicable to training and competition. (And various unrelated topics.) ;-)

While the occasional defensive shooting post is not prohibited, in general, defensive shooting discussions or debates are discouraged.

As it says...the occasional post isn't against the rules. However, the intent of this Forum is clear. There are plenty of other forums that delve deep into the tactical talk.

This thread is fine so far. :)