Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thunking 1050's

I'm pretty sure that my *Thunk* on the upstroke on my 1050 is due to the brass coming out of the sizing die. But I read something recently about what people have done to remedy it. I use One-Shot and that works great, but it's a *distint* *Thunk* that actually flips the powder in my powder measure when it happens... on every round.

All Dillon dies, and only happens on the upstroke as the sizing die is coming off the case.... 9mm in my case.

Did I miss a fix for this?

Alan

I just posted a response in an old thread about the thunking when brass leaves the size die. My machine was doing it with lubed or dry brass and I replaced the three needle/roller bearings on the crank and it went away. I found that a little extra play in the tool head from the bearings was making the thunk and new bearings tightened it up. Hope this helps.

Eddie

I just posted a response in an old thread about the thunking when brass leaves the size die. My machine was doing it with lubed or dry brass and I replaced the three needle/roller bearings on the crank and it went away. I found that a little extra play in the tool head from the bearings was making the thunk and new bearings tightened it up. Hope this helps.

Eddie

Can you help me figure out which bearings you are referring to here?

Thanks

Alan, not trying to insult here....are you giving the case too much flare? If not, I had the same thing happening. Once I polished the powder funnel it all went away.

Steve

No insult whatsoever Steve.

I actually give my cases *no* flare... I use a Mr. Bullet feeder and the way I setup for 9mm Major is as follows.

I size with a dillon die, the thunking is what happens when the case leaves the die on the upstroke. I then swage and let the top swaging die do all the belling, at the powder drop station I set the powder funnel to leave *no* additional bell. This allows the bullet to drop from the bullet feeder and it drops right in, with a good bit of tension, then it goes to the seating die and finally the crimp die... Ok, I lied, the seating die is a Redding Comp die, but all others are Dillon.

I may have to look at those needle bearings I noticed mine are pretty loose as well. I had them apart the other day to lube them up... I think I'll look at that... Thanks

Alan

Eddie

Thanks

Pretty sure they are dillon model number 11008's and there are 3 of them.... Look at the parts list for the lower section of the press.

Alan

Hello: Is your shellplate loose? I find if the shellplate is too loose you get a slap as it releases. Thanks, Eric

Eric, if anything mine is too tight... it's a long story, but to get the reliability out of my 1050, I have to run the shellplate pretty tight.

Thanks tho, that would be an obvious place to look

Eddie

Thanks

Pretty sure they are dillon model number 11008's and there are 3 of them.... Look at the parts list for the lower section of the press.

Alan

Right. They are drawn cup needle bearings and are Timken BH-1610(I think), the ref. number is on the side of the bearing.

EG

When loading .45 ACP my machine "thunks" on the up stroke. I've only got 3000 rounds made on my S1050 so I'd be surprised if there was a bearing problem.

I can understand that the "thunk" would be an issue for people loading cases to near max if powder is being spilled out on every upstroke but if powder spillage is not a problem is "thunking" a problem? Is the "thunk" an indicator I dont have my shellplate tight enough or there is another issue? Is the "thunk" just the nature of the beast when a tight case is drawn back through the carbide size ring and when it releases at the top of the case the "thunk" should be expected?

Am I over thinking my "thunking"?

I have a S1050 with about 6,000 rounds loaded with it and it also has the thunk when there is brass in the resize station.

I have double checked everything, it is good. Its loads great ammo so I just learned to live with it. One other thing I noticed is

the tool head seems loose to me at the top of the upstroke is turns to the side slightly but as I said it work great.

Edited by sauza45

Alan,

Are you sure the "thunk" is coming from the sizing die? The Mr. Bullet flare die (in the powder drop) was grabbing my brass and causing what you described. I went back to the dillon flare and the problem went away.

After reading this thread, I decided to try some One Shot on my 9mm cases and see what happens with my "thunking" 550. Essentially it is gone. The down and upstroke are very smooth, much less effort, no more thunking. I'm sorry I have loaded so many rounds without using lube. No more, I sprayed the gallon bag and put the brass in for a shake. Worked like a charm.

My "thunk" in 40 was caused by the Lee U-Die (although I lubed with One Shot).

Since I am GRX-ing before tumbling and loading, I figured that I could ditch the U-Die and go back to the Dillon die. When I did, it went away AND, as a bonus, my issue with the casefeeder screwing up and not feeding into the shellplate was corrected.

Edited by Braxton1

After reading this thread, I decided to try some One Shot on my 9mm cases and see what happens with my "thunking" 550. Essentially it is gone. The down and upstroke are very smooth, much less effort, no more thunking. I'm sorry I have loaded so many rounds without using lube.

Right. After using One Shot fro the first time, I realized I'd never load again w/o it.