Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com Rockcastle Pro Am Aug 24-26 2012

Covering the ports is more unsafe than anything the shim stock will blow off & mess you or somebody else up.

You could be right, I have only been running mine with the ports covered for a year or so. Hundereds of rounds of bird shot, some slugs, some buck, high brass.

Do you have some xamples of port covers blowing off?

Test data maybe?

David E.

No data just rather he be safe than sorry. But it seems you have tested it. It seems like there might be a market for a bolt on port cover.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Covering the ports is more unsafe than anything the shim stock will blow off & mess you or somebody else up.

You could be right, I have only been running mine with the ports covered for a year or so. Hundereds of rounds of bird shot, some slugs, some buck, high brass.

Do you have some xamples of port covers blowing off?

Test data maybe?

David E.

I have seen this done even with Kydex and duck tape. IMO it will eventually fail but it really makes no difference as long as it does not fail in the middle of a stage so as to bump you to open. I would however urge you to ask the MD about this since their opinion is the only one that really matters.

I guess I should ask the MD on mine. And need to ask the MD on the all shotgun match at the rock as well. My port cover completely wraps around the barrel under the vent rib and has a piece of rubber under it to help seal it even better. If its not going to be ok I reckon I'll have to have em tig welded.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

What if you tap the ports and install set screws?

The barrel is pretty thin in the port area. I looked at doing this and decided against it.

Having some welding experience I thought about TIGing up the ports or TIGing a cover in place, some risk there due to heat. Maybe a "real gunsmith" would know if TIGing a shotgun barrel is a bad thing. I think I saw this service advertised in a thread somewhere.

My thought is to either go very simple/cheap with covers or just buy a new barrel, whatever works for you.

David E.

18.5 inch cyl bore should work fine for Am division. I ROed the SG only am stage last year, and there was nothing that the center of cyl bore pattern would not knock over. If you want to spend money on SG, get mag extension and shell caddies, and figure out where the center of your pattern is relative to your bead.

Shooting clays, you may gain a little advantage.

Edited by Lead-Head

I picked up a new barrel for my 1187 a while back fo $75

Where did you get an 1100 barrel for 75 bucks. i can't find them under 175ish. and for the price i might as well just buy a new gun.

i am thinking of using my buddies benelli with an 18.5 with choke tubes. i plan on patterning the mossberg with the 18.5 cyl next week out to about 40 yards.

nuke you are right it was about mossberg's and 1100's. wasn't sure what gun i wanted to shoot. if i can get the 1100 to something i want it to be then i am going to shoot that one. i just don't want to dump a whole bunch of money to then buy a new gun if/when i confirm that i like 3gun and have more money to spend on a new gun.

I picked up a new barrel for my 1187 a while back fo $75

Where did you get an 1100 barrel for 75 bucks. i can't find them under 175ish. and for the price i might as well just buy a new gun.

i am thinking of using my buddies benelli with an 18.5 with choke tubes. i plan on patterning the mossberg with the 18.5 cyl next week out to about 40 yards.

nuke you are right it was about mossberg's and 1100's. wasn't sure what gun i wanted to shoot. if i can get the 1100 to something i want it to be then i am going to shoot that one. i just don't want to dump a whole bunch of money to then buy a new gun if/when i confirm that i like 3gun and have more money to spend on a new gun.

I got my Remington Tac 4 for about $700.00 it has a 22" barrel. It runs good & has never failed. I just put an

X-Rail on it for open Div.

18.5 inch cyl bore should work fine for Am division. I ROed the SG only am stage last year, and there was nothing that the center of cyl bore pattern would not knock over

I shot the AM match. I would not have wanted to shoot the SG stage with the hay bails and no-shoot steel plates with an 18 1/2" cyl bore.

I got my Remington Tac 4 for about $700.00 it has a 22" barrel. It runs good & has never failed. I just put an

X-Rail on it for open Div.

I was on the fence and almost went for an 1100 but after some research here about the 1100 and 930 I went 930.

To each his own.

David E.

I'm wondering if the CMC rep will be at Rockcastle before the RO's shoot...I sure could use a flat trigger group at Rockcastle match price. ;)

Wanted to get one last year, but never got that far.

Charles, we have all kinds of updates! Which ones are you referring to? We now have King Size beds in 12 rooms. New water massage bed and a few work out machines in the work out room near the pool. Vineyard is being planted mid April. Updates to the bar and wine room. New chef and menu in restaurant. Working on new shooting bays. We have sold two lots/cabin's in Cedar Pointe (the only 2nd home community for shooting enthusiasts in the country). Rockcastle Training and Education Center is rolling and we just got named home of the 2014 World Bianchi Cup....

Nick

Charles, we have all kinds of updates! Which ones are you referring to? We now have King Size beds in 12 rooms. New water massage bed and a few work out machines in the work out room near the pool. Vineyard is being planted mid April. Updates to the bar and wine room. New chef and menu in restaurant. Working on new shooting bays. We have sold two lots/cabin's in Cedar Pointe (the only 2nd home community for shooting enthusiasts in the country). Rockcastle Training and Education Center is rolling and we just got named home of the 2014 World Bianchi Cup....

Nick

Bar and wine room? I thought you were in a dry county?