Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com Rockcastle Pro Am Aug 24-26 2012

WOO, HOO got my e-mail from Linda!

as a side note, i hate slugs!!! god aweful with shotgun to start with and i use the cost of slugs as excuse to myself not to pratice with them enough.

I love the shotgun aspect of 3-gun. It was once my weakest point, and after a lot of practice I feel like it is now on par with rifle and pistol is my weak point.

I like flying clays and every other part of shotgunning. But I'm just not wild about slugs. I think it's mostly the added expense of practicing with them.

But it's part of the game and I'll take whatever the MD throws at us. :cheers:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a side note, i hate slugs!!! god aweful with shotgun to start with and i use the cost of slugs as excuse to myself not to pratice with them enough.

I love the shotgun aspect of 3-gun. It was once my weakest point, and after a lot of practice I feel like it is now on par with rifle and pistol is my weak point.

I like flying clays and every other part of shotgunning. But I'm just not wild about slugs. I think it's mostly the added expense of practicing with them.

Come back to Rock Castle and shoot the Blue Ridge. It is those 150 yard up hill slugs and 75 yard down hill slugs all on steel that redefine what it is to shoot slugs.

Come back to Rock Castle and shoot the Blue Ridge. It is those 150 yard up hill slugs and 75 yard down hill slugs all on steel that redefine what it is to shoot slugs.

Im signed up and paid for for that match too. Im looking forward to that one as much as the ProAm!

Im signed up and paid for for that match too. Im looking forward to that one as much as the ProAm!

I didn't know the registration was open for that one yet.

I would love to, but there is little chance I could shoot that match. I'll either be sitting in a combine, a semi, or a tractor doing fall tillage.

The exception would be heavy rain for multiple days before the match, and I can't apply with that slim chance that I will be able to attend.

Wow! Thanks. The registered and paid up comment almost stopped my heart!

Sure is. Check was cashed last week. I dont have the link anymore, someone around here posted it for me a few weeks ago.

RM3G regrrsrration is not open yet. They said sometime this month. Hope I can make it. We already have a room for that match too.

RM3G, Rocky Mountain 3 Gun, registration has been open since mid December. I believe you are referring to BRM3G, Blue Ridge Mountain 3 Gun. Their registraton is not open yet...

.jj

I was referring to BRM3G. Not sure what match Served is referring to.

Oops. I was refering to the Shotgun championship at Rockastle. I was told the BRM3G registration is supposed to open sometime in April.

Edited by SERVED_USMC

that is way i am signed up and going to the shotgun sizzler, :) mid summer. the rockcastle shotgun match. to look the the devil in eye! and the sweat in the eye's already sounds like a great excuse!

have not been to blue ridge 3 gun since cloudy was on top of the hill laughing at us sliding down the hill sideways passenger side first!

So i am new to 3 gun and have a question about shotguns.

I have an 1100 with a 28-30 inch barrel on it.

my friend is letting me borrow his mossberg 930, which has an 18.5 barrel or a 28 inch barrel.

would you shoot the 1100 or the mossberg.

if i shoot the mossberg would you shoot the 18.5" or the 28" barrel. if i shot the 28" that has ports can i put "shim stock" under the barrel clamp and be legal. . This is the bigger question. if i can do this for a fix until i buy another gun i would like to do this, but i want to make sure it is legal first.

so i measured some stuff and i would have to get the plus 8 nordic extension tube to be able to cover the porting on the 28" barrel and that is not happening.

so would you shoot the 1100 or the 18.5 mossberg with a plus 4 extension tube that would stick out about 3.5 inchs

so is shimming the ports legal

Edited by ss+P

If you're planning on using this for the pro/am, I'd avoid the 18.5 barrel, especially if it's just an open cylinder and not threaded for chokes. Many of the targets were 5" steel plates sitting on a stand with ranges from 10-15yds. The guys with the short open cyl. guns really struggled to knock them off their base. If its a threaded, you can always choke down. The other lengths may seem too long, but I don't think they will hinder you.

Whatever gun you decide you use, get some time behind it before the match. You'll spend/lose more time reloading than you will shooting.

This will be for the pro am that is why I posted it here. Sorry for not mentioning it earlier. I am shooting in the am match. I know that the porting will put me in open. I read on another forum that you could cover the ports but I don't know if it is legal.

Would you rather run the 18.5 mossberg or a 30" rem 1100

This will be for the pro am that is why I posted it here. Sorry for not mentioning it earlier. I am shooting in the am match. I know that the porting will put me in open. I read on another forum that you could cover the ports but I don't know if it is legal.

Covering the ports is more unsafe than anything the shim stock will blow off & mess you or somebody else up. Use the 1100 with the 28" barrel. Having a few chokes is a must . IC for slugs & inside 15yrds. Improved Mod. to 30yrds. & full for anything longer

cool thanks guys.

yeah i had never heard of cover the ports so i wanted to ask here before doing anything. didn't sound like a good idea. now i just need the dmw easyloader on the 1100 and we will be GTG

can you get 18.5" barrel threaded for chokes? i know wilson combat used to do that. at one the going rate was $50 -75.

let me say i hate shooting shotgun, but with that said if can get chockes for the 18" it would be easier is use on some the stages, i am sure. i have no doubt at some point a stage will be set up so you can not just swing the shotgun to the next target.

you also try as post in the want to by section a 22 or 24" barrel for the 1100.

it was sent to me but it was meant for you,

Robert,

I can thread your 18” barrel for chokes. Depending upon the barrel diameter/thickness I can thread for Rem-Chokes, Win-Chokes (same as Mossberg Accu-Chokes) and Tru-Chokes. I do know the Mossberg 930 barrels can use the standard Mossberg Accu-choke tubes. Prices start at $65 for threading and return shipping. I have done this for many BE and AR15.COM forum members. Some more info and feedback is here: Choke tube info

Please let me know if I can help.

Steve Rose (aka GunCat)

Rose Action Sports

this good should be a good thing for you!

Covering the ports is more unsafe than anything the shim stock will blow off & mess you or somebody else up.

You could be right, I have only been running mine with the ports covered for a year or so. Hundereds of rounds of bird shot, some slugs, some buck, high brass.

Do you have some xamples of port covers blowing off?

Test data maybe?

David E.