Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com Rockcastle Pro Am Aug 24-26 2012

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance of a secondary match hotel? I understand The Lodge is sold out for this weekend.

Check in Cave City which is just a few minutes up the road. There's a Sleep Inn, Days Inn and a few other hotels. If there's nothing left in Cave City, I think you're next closest area is Bowling Green.

Can someone clarify, does rule 5.5 prevent someone from removing a magnifier for an aimpoint? Does a flip mount count as a reconfiguration?

Is there any real difference between this a using a variable magnification scope?

Does a magnifier count as a sight or not, I should think not since there is no aiming reticle.

Thanks for your help

Edited by Onagoth

Happy to say I got in! Didn't realize my new 1x4 Burris puts me in Open, I guess I shouldn't have sold my Eotec.

I'm not seeing where a 1x4 variable puts us into Open, unless we're running another optic on the same gun?

----------------------------------

6.2 Rifle

Tac Optics Class

-Rifles must be of a factory configuration (see Rule 5.3, 5.4, 5.5).

-Internal modifications are allowed providing the modifications do not alter the original factory configuration of the rifle.

-Tac Optics Class rifles may be equipped with no more than one (1) optical sight and iron sights.

-Rifle supporting devices (i.e. bipods, etc.) are not allowed in this class.

-Rifle may have a compensator that is no more than 1" in diameter and 3" in length.

Open Class

-No limitations on accessories (see Rule 5.3, 5.4, 5.5).

8. Class

Tac Optics Class

-Competitor will shoot firearms which comply with the Firearms Classification rules for Tac Optics Class, rifles may be scoped or iron sighted, shotguns may be pump or -semi-automatic.

Open Class

-Any Open Class gun OR Open Class equipment puts the competitor in Open Class for the entire match.

Competitor will shoot firearms which comply with the Firearms Classification rules for Open Class.

---------------------------

Any chance of a secondary match hotel? I understand The Lodge is sold out for this weekend.

There is a mom and pop motel at the foot of the hill that has been recently renovated. I have no idea how the rooms are but they certainly did a large spruce up on the outside. You might be able to get some information from the folks at Rockcastle. There is no where to eat there but your less than 3 minutes from the lodge and their excellent food.

Can someone clarify, does rule 5.5 prevent someone from removing a magnifier for an aimpoint? Does a flip mount count as a reconfiguration?

Is there any real difference between this a using a variable magnification scope?

Does a magnifier count as a sight or not, I should think not since there is no aiming reticle.

Thanks for your help

I've not read this year's rules yet, but last year an eotech with magnifier on a fts mount was GTG in tac optics.

Happy to say I got in! Didn't realize my new 1x4 Burris puts me in Open, I guess I shouldn't have sold my Eotec.

I'm not seeing where a 1x4 variable puts us into Open, unless we're running another optic on the same gun?

----------------------------------

6.2 Rifle

Tac Optics Class

-Rifles must be of a factory configuration (see Rule 5.3, 5.4, 5.5).

-Internal modifications are allowed providing the modifications do not alter the original factory configuration of the rifle.

-Tac Optics Class rifles may be equipped with no more than one (1) optical sight and iron sights.

-Rifle supporting devices (i.e. bipods, etc.) are not allowed in this class.

-Rifle may have a compensator that is no more than 1" in diameter and 3" in length.

Open Class

-No limitations on accessories (see Rule 5.3, 5.4, 5.5).

8. Class

Tac Optics Class

-Competitor will shoot firearms which comply with the Firearms Classification rules for Tac Optics Class, rifles may be scoped or iron sighted, shotguns may be pump or -semi-automatic.

Open Class

-Any Open Class gun OR Open Class equipment puts the competitor in Open Class for the entire match.

Competitor will shoot firearms which comply with the Firearms Classification rules for Open Class.

---------------------------

Yea I misread the (1) as a 1x, I hope a you are right!

Yep, the 1-4 should be fine for Tac Optics. My understanding is that the flip to side magnifiers are fine for Tac Optics as they stay on the rifle (and have to start and finish on the rifle). An add on that does not stay attached is a different story. I shot last year and all I had was a Vortex Strikefire- options were to shoot the whole match with it at 1x or to screw in the doubler (2x) and leave it for the whole match. Chose the later since I was used to shooting to 300yds with that setup, and glad to have it on the 2 longer range stages. It did slow me down on the close in rifle though- especially the stage with the barrels and the first part of the AM stage with the nice little hill. Had to pick my head up once to make sure I was engaging both targets in a pair stapled together in the shadows. Burris MTAC 1-4x on the new gun I put together though :)

Just got 2 rooms at the Sleep Inn in Cave City, still have rooms available. Brand new hotel. I'm on the waiting list at the lodge too, but not holding my breath.

Yep, the 1-4 should be fine for Tac Optics. My understanding is that the flip to side magnifiers are fine for Tac Optics as they stay on the rifle (and have to start and finish on the rifle). An add on that does not stay attached is a different story. I shot last year and all I had was a Vortex Strikefire- options were to shoot the whole match with it at 1x or to screw in the doubler (2x) and leave it for the whole match. Chose the later since I was used to shooting to 300yds with that setup, and glad to have it on the 2 longer range stages. It did slow me down on the close in rifle though- especially the stage with the barrels and the first part of the AM stage with the nice little hill. Had to pick my head up once to make sure I was engaging both targets in a pair stapled together in the shadows. Burris MTAC 1-4x on the new gun I put together though :)

Seems a little silly to me. Not sure why variable mag scopes are allowed but a screw on mag isn't. Or why a flip-out magnifier is okay but a detachable one isn't.

No matter, just have to adjust the gear accordingly.

Seems a little silly to me. Not sure why variable mag scopes are allowed but a screw on mag isn't. Or why a flip-out magnifier is okay but a detachable one isn't.

Because your changing the weight of your rifle and using an entirely different optic if you do. Think of it like this: would you allow a shooter to change optics between stages? While that is in effect what is happening in the case of a flip out magnifier, that is the way the unit is designed and the shooter has to deal with the flip out being in the way for close in targets. If we allowed screw on magnifiers to be removed, we might as well allow a shooter to remove an optic entirely to shoot a close in stage with just iron sights.

Edited by Charles Bond

Sounds like about 800 shooters all together if these numbers are right.

I would bet many are duplicates and will be trimmed down as Linda sorts

through them all.

Craig

"I would bet many are duplicates and will be trimmed down as Linda sorts

through them all."

Your dead on. It makes little sense for Linda to give everyone a new number 1-250 when she can just use the number the computer assigned to the entry. For her to reassign numbers would blunt the some of the advantage she gains by use of the program and would just be busy work.

Sleep Inn is awesome! Stayed there last year and just reserved our room for this years match as well.

Chase - If your out there, wouldn't mind squading up with you guys again

Our whole crew is in! Glad you two got in as well. Would definitely like to squad with ya'll again.

PM sent with all of our names so you can put them on your apps.

Stay safe,

Chase

Because your changing the weight of your rifle and using an entirely different optic if you do. Think of it like this: would you allow a shooter to change optics between stages? While that is in effect what is happening in the case of a flip out magnifier, that is the way the unit is designed and the shooter has to deal with the flip out being in the way for close in targets. If we allowed screw on magnifiers to be removed, we might as well allow a shooter to remove an optic entirely to shoot a close in stage with just iron sights.

I can understand the weight argument, and no, I wouldn't allow shooters to change optics between stages. My take is that a mangifier is not an optic cause there is no aiming reticle, and so removing it isn't really changing your sight, just the same as lowering the magnification on a scope isn't changing your sight (not withstanding the weight change argument).

Nevertheless, its your match and rule set, so this discussion is simply academic at this point. Mostly, I just want to clarify what I can and can't do.

So, just to confirm, for this year, for tac-optics, magnifiers can be either used or not-used on a stage if they are on a flip-out mount and stay attached to the rifle for the duration of the match?