Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 700 in .260 Remington?

michael_aos

The HS Precision detachable box magazine conversion and $75 magazines in .223 is NOT the way to go.

Seems like someone I know told you that...

Basically I felt my choices were to buy SOMETHING and start playing now, or sit and wait a couple years until I could afford $5K for a Tubb 2000 or AI AW setup.

The day I can afford $5K for a hobby bolt-gun setup may never come.

I suspect what I've got is plenty good enough for me, for now. If the day comes that I feel undergunned, I'll re-evalute it.

I'm just saying if you've got the money laying around, you can spend more and get more.

Mike

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to do it, but I would advise against the HS Precision bottom metal/detachable mag combination.  I have this on one of my .308s, I don't like the fact that the mag release is inside the trigger guard (I can envision bad things happening during a reload under stress), I don't like that the mags don't drop free, I don't like how awkward it is to try and hit the release with my thumb, while trying to rock the mag out, and then repeating a couple of times until the thing finally comes out.

For detachable mags on a Remington 700, next time I'd go with the AICS system.

I solved the problems of reloads with a Tubb 2K.  Sweet! :D

My .223 HS precisions mags drop free just great. Zero issues there.

I don't know if maybe the HS Precision factory stock on the 700P is slightly oversize or what, but the rounds don't sit quite "high" enough. It's easy for the bolt to slide right over the top of them.

Another issue I've seen, is as the round moves forward, the bullet hits the feed-ramp. When it does that, the round pivots in the magazine feed-lips. The front goes up, the back goes down below the bolt and forward progress halts.

I've "solved" this by trimming down the feed lips a little at that pivot point, which helps. I've also noticed just pushing up on the magazine while I move the bolt helps -- can't move more that .001", but it's just enough to make a difference.

Mike

• 2 months later...

Nice rifle Michael, pretty much got the same setup, but in .308 and without the detachable magazine. I used to be on the same boat when deciding which one to buy, talked to a lot of shooters from Sniper's Hide forum and got excellent tips. Same as you, it was intended mainly for MOR matches and don't want to spend a lot of dough on it. What you have now is plenty, next thing to do is getting to know what your rifle can and cannot do. Use quality match ammo when doing this, once you're down with the wind drift and bullet drop; and know exactly how your rifle performs, you might even forget about changing barrel or stock. What barrel do you have now and which mag system did you get? Thanks.

• 5 years later...

michael,

Stay away from wildcats (i.e. AI's) unless you either have a lot of free time to fire form brass and/or want to spend the money for a second action, strictly for fire-forming. Barrel throat life goes down hill FAST with AI calibers.

Just some info.

Rich

I'm new to y'alls site, so I'm looking for information on some of the Ackley calibers. You're most likely right, but I thought I'd try a new rifle in my collection. I just bought a Remington 700, Etronix action (since I'm an Automation Engineer, the Electronic firing system intrigued me) Trued, Davidson bases, Benchmark bbl. in 6.5 x244 Ackley Improved. I'm most interested in the 6.5mm calibers, but (excuse my ignorance, because I thought I was up on most of the calibers) I started gathering information on the 6.5 X 244 AI and I cannot pinpoint it down to that designation. I can fine references to 6.5MM AI and 244 AI, but not specifically to that Caliber. Is it listed some other way? Thanks for anyone’s input.

Edited by rtbeng

A good number of us shoot 6.5mm variants with the .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmore, and 6.5x47 Lapua being what you hear the most about today.

Maybe what you're referring to is also called the .260 AI? There are literally many wildcats out there in just about every caliber/diameter.

From a google search about Terry Cross: "Pushing 139 Lapuas, the .260 AI (an Ackleyized 6.5mm-08) delivers 6.5-284 ballistics in a more efficient, magazine-friendly cartridge."

In fact, the "which 6.5mm should I get?" issue has been debated here, extensively on SnipersHide, and other sites. The question I would have for you is "why would you stray that far outside of the norm?". Unless you have some penchant for "going it alone", you'll be on an island.

6.5mm rifles are very popular -- lot's of solid data and many match wins.

I vote for .260 as necking up .243 brass doesn't bother me (although now that Lapua will be producing .260 brass, my neck turning kit will probably have a rest). Slight differences between the three dominant variants. Zak Smith wrote a solid article on it so you can decide what'll work best for you... http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

But, what's not clear about your post(s), is the rifle already ordered/built?

sorry if already posted, but there will be a special run of 260s by Sako in the TRG, if interested contact the group buy at Sniperhide

Do you have a link. I went to the "group buy" forum on Snipers Hide and couldn't find it.

Thanks

Phil G

From a google search about Terry Cross: "Pushing 139 Lapuas, the .260 AI (an Ackleyized 6.5mm-08) delivers 6.5-284 ballistics in a more efficient, magazine-friendly cartridge."

Since that article, Terry is now recommending the straight .260 instead of the AI version. Here's the one he built for me.

2009-11-26082654.jpg

Since that article, Terry is now recommending the straight .260 instead of the AI version. Here's the one he built for me.

Beautiful rifle. Interesting that Terry switched over. I was torn between the 6.5CM and .260 -- finally decided I wanted multiple sources of brass even if I had to neck up/down and neck turn to get there. Gives me something to do on cold winter days.

The fact that Lapua is listening to their market and producing .260 brass soon speaks to the popularity. I would have been happy with either as it strikes me as splitting hairs. I now have a bolt gun and an AR10 in .260. 6.5mm guns are popping up all over the place...

Michael, All good advise above. I have a VLS and have never had a POI change due to weather. However, with that said, Remington was not stress relieving thier barrels on the VLS, or many of the other models when I bought mine so it will "walk" on you if this has not changed. I corrected mine by doing chryo on it. Ohterwise, mine is a tack driver out to 800 yards. As for rings and glass, get the best your budget can afford.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't seen this link in this thread, but must admit I didn't read every post.

GAP makes some good rifles. Depending on your cash, you could buy a 700 and ship it to GAP or just get their model so you never have to upgrade anything. I'm not the biggest fan of the A1 stock, but you can upgrade for under $100.

http://www.gaprecision.com/ga-precision-2011-custom-rifles/ga-precision-base-custom-rifle.html

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this it the rite place ? I can get a 40 = year old 700 at gift price from a friend. in 223 I understand that I can get a ?new bolt face? or a complete bolt to re-barrel to 260

I would have to get a trigger as this one no longer holds

I could start out with a good barrel this way over buying a over the counter 700 in 260 and re-barreling later.

$140 for a Timney trigger

$300 + or - for a good barrel ? Gun smith cost?

Allow $600 for a stock = bottom metal & mags

Scope and rings

How crazy am I thinking?

Sell that 700 and get one of the new Savages in 260. Money ahead and have a great gun that you can work on the kitchen table.

Sorry about the linked video. I had to make one more post to be able to edit my profile to get it stopped. Think Flex added it a while back for another thread. At least I'll blame him for it :)

Topstrap

Edited by Topstrap1

• 1 month later...

OK I am stumbling in to the Bolt gun world. I figure you guys need some-one to laugh at.

just dropped the change on a 700 with a 22-250 barrel that will have to go, for a 260 barrel.

Hopefully I can keep from making too many mistakes in the build.

Barrel in 24"? with or with out contour?

Bottom metal by Badger Ordnance ? and an extra mag ? or two

dies by Redding ? with the S neck?

I do have the most important part figured out .... it will have Vortex glass.

What events to make my start in and should I just go ahead and get my Clown shoes out of the closet?

I will be very interested to see how your rifle shoots. I am in the process of building my son a new deer rifle. It is on a Remington short action, with a Krieger straight taper and fluted barrel that will be about 21" long with a removable muzzle brake, sitting in a Bell and Carlson tactical medalist stock. No bottom metal yet and putting a Leupold 3x9 on it for now. Would like to get a Nightforce in the future for it.

OK I am stumbling in to the Bolt gun world. I figure you guys need some-one to laugh at.

just dropped the change on a 700 with a 22-250 barrel that will have to go, for a 260 barrel.

Hopefully I can keep from making too many mistakes in the build.

Barrel in 24"? with or with out contour?

Bottom metal by Badger Ordnance ? and an extra mag ? or two

dies by Redding ? with the S neck?

I do have the most important part figured out .... it will have Vortex glass.

What events to make my start in and should I just go ahead and get my Clown shoes out of the closet?

You might try giving this guy a call, I keep hearing good things about his work from guys here in Houston that have used him in the past.

http://www.rprifles.com/

• 6 months later...

I will be very interested to see how your rifle shoots. I am in the process of building my son a new deer rifle. It is on a Remington short action, with a Krieger straight taper and fluted barrel that will be about 21" long with a removable muzzle brake, sitting in a Bell and Carlson tactical medalist stock. No bottom metal yet and putting a Leupold 3x9 on it for now. Would like to get a Nightforce in the future for it.

My rifle is done, bought some Federal Premium Vital shock ammo loaded with 120 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. Rifle shoots extremely soft and very accurate 1/2" groups are pretty easy. I'm thinking a little more time behind the rifle and it will shoot nice little cloverleafs at 100 yards. Took a Leupold 3.5x10x50 VariX-III off of another rifle and put it on the .260. Cant wait to try it it on a deer

To start I'd go with the PSS in .308 with a Nightforce scope.

If you can afford it...go with Schmidt and Bender but Nightforce is fine.

The adjustments are solid and repeatable. The Leupold scope has had (in the past) repeatability issues and the clicks are fine adjustments.

With the fine adjustments its easy to lose track of or go past where you wanted to be.

N.F. scopes are more $ but its the NASCAR principle...."Speed costs money....how fast do you want to go?"

To quote a very good friend "If you buy a 5 thousand dollar sniper rifle and put a one hundred dollar scope on it you now have a one hundred dollar sniper rifle."

G.A. Precision is a GREAT shop to get custom stuff from. I own one of George's Rock rifles and its always done well.

Truth is ...stock Remmy's shoot surprisingly well.

Get the stock rifle and take it to Al Warner or Charlie Milazzo and have them do an accuracy tune up on it. They'll recrown the barrel, lap and true the bolt face etc.. and it won't break your bank.

If you're looking to save the $ I'd say just get the stock rifle but with the best glass and rings/mounts you can afford.

You can always have an accuracy tune up done at a later date.

JK

• 4 weeks later...