Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 700 in .260 Remington?

michael_aos

michael,

Stay away from wildcats (i.e. AI's) unless you either have a lot of free time to fire form brass and/or want to spend the money for a second action, strictly for fire-forming. Barrel throat life goes down hill FAST with AI calibers.

Just some info.

Rich

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a friend who shoots .223 AI in his AR.

He's got a bunch of fire-formed cases & once-fired .223 brass to play with.

I think you're right though. I may just use the 700P in .223 for a year or two and then think about something else in .260.

It sure seems like SOMEONE should offer a 700P in .260 that accepts M14-style mags.

:angry:

Mike

Just for your information, Remington just came out with a 700P LTR with a 26 inch barrell. I just received one and will be setting it up for sniper competitions. It seems really well balanced and not too heavy.

Just for your information, Remington just came out with a 700P LTR with a 26 inch barrell. I just received one and will be setting it up for sniper competitions. It seems really well balanced and not too heavy.

Figures!

:angry:

Right after I bought my 700P.

I'd have loved a 24"-26" LTR.

:-(

Mike

Hey Rich...The Trexler Kwik Klip is now in Brownells catalog..its ONLY for a long action rifle (maybe .270) They work great and are inexpensive!!

Cheryl :)

Cheryl,

Sweet! Finally something for long actions that's "battle" tested (i.e. by the Current's). I should be picking up my 6mm Ackley in a week or two.

I'll have to order one of them toot sweet!

It was great seeing you and Rod this weekend.

Take care,

Rich

Part deux: Cheryl - Can't find 'em. Can you get me a link? Thanks.

Hey Rich..their phone # is 610-974-9800 and they are in Bethleham, Pa...They are some sort of a Steel Manufacturing company..Kwik Klips are a sideline... Cheryl :)

If all you're going to shoot is local, and your distances are 425, then you'll be fine. It sounds like you are on a "conventional" range (i.e. side berms) so wind isn't that big an issue. Heck, my AR shot .25 MOA on Sunday, so if it wasn't for it not being an MOR gun, I'd have confidence in shooting .223 at 425.

Glad you found a rifle.

Rich

The first 250 - 300yds / meters is bermed.

The last 100-125yds / meters is open.

Range-1.jpg

Mike

What do you guys think of the Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x50mm LR (30mm) -- $629 for this rifle?

Or the Leupold Mk 4, LR/T 4.5-14x50mm for $799?

Seems like the "only" thing you gain with the "tactical" is target-knobs. Not sure how big a deal that is...?

Mike

The only difference I can see btwn the Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x50mm LR and the MK 4 4.5-14x50mm LR/T is the MK4 is about 2" shorter, weights 1oz more, has better eye relief, has about 3" more adjustment at 100yards, and a better field of view.

The only difference I can see btwn the Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x50mm LR and the MK 4 4.5-14x50mm LR/T is the MK4 is about 2" shorter, weights 1oz more, has better eye relief, has about 3" more adjustment at 100yards, and a better field of view.

Umm.

VX-III -- 12.6", MK4 -- 12.5" = .1" length difference

VX-III -- 17oz, MK4 -- 22oz = 5oz weight difference

VX III -- ER 3.6 (14x), MK4 -- ER 3.6 (14x) = same eye relief

VX-III -- 70" @100, MK4 -- 75" (e) @100 = 5" adjustment difference

VX-III -- 7.4' (14x), MK4 -- 7.6' (14x) = .2' FOV difference

Mike

• 5 months later...
The HS Precision detachable box magazine conversion and $75 magazines in .223 is NOT the way to go.

Seems like someone I know told you that...

I know. I know.

At the time, the price of the AICS stock scared me, and I just couldn't see putting that kind of money into something I didn't expect to shoot that much.

Actually, if the magazines would feed better, I'd be happier with it. That's my biggest complaint.

It's not such a bad system. Just poorly implemented. It could have worked...

Mike

If you are going to shoot against me at the ITRC, I would love for you to have both a .223 and an HS detachable mag! :P

I bought it exclusively for MOR events on the 425yd range in Pueblo.

With a 1:9" twist, 26" barrel, the 69gr Sierra MatchKings perform nicely at that distance.

Mike