Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead and/or Molly bullets in a tanfo barrel?

dskinsler83

Can a Tanfo (Stock II) shoot lead and/or Molly bullets!?? Or that a no no w/ these barrels cause the polygonal rifling??

There is a good chance you will have fowling. If any non-jacketed bullet will work in it without fowling Bayou Bullets. I'm still shocked every time I shoot a bunch of those, look down the barrel, cleaner than before I shot them.

I had trouble with moly bullets in a CZ TS, Sig226, CZ 75 etc, but they run clean in my 1911/2011 based guns.

Piece of choreboy wrapped around a bore brush takes it right out.

This gets asked over and over, and the consensus is that lead bullets will shoot fine out of a Tanfo polygonal barrel. This is what I have come to glean from the folks who actually own Tanfos and shoot lead through them. As usual, some who have zero first hand experience will tell you you can't do it.

Running Bayou Bullets through my Limited, I have no trouble. I cannot recommend Precision black bullets,though. They left the barrels in my.40 Match and Limited quite gunked up, and it was hell to clean.

This gets asked over and over, and the consensus is that lead bullets will shoot fine out of a Tanfo polygonal barrel. This is what I have come to glean from the folks who actually own Tanfos and shoot lead through them. As usual, some who have zero first hand experience will tell you you can't do it.

Hi there..

I have shot lead bullets out of my Tanfoglio Limited Custom for two years and

you do get some leading especially if you use a fast burning powder like VV N320...

It also depends on the lead alloy that your bullets are made from.. I used to cast my

own from reclaimed range lead and have recently switched completely to shooting plated

due to a problem with my last batch of reclaimed lead being too soft and leading my barrel

and affecting accuracy after only 100 rounds down the pipe.

Wish i could get ahold of some of those Bayou bullets here in Canada.. would love to try them...

One good way to get rid of minor leading is to use a 50:50 mixture of Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide.

I plug the barrel (ear plug) and then pour it in and wait for 7 min and then use a brush after dumping and

rinsing the barrel... Dont get the crap from the barrel on your hands as it contains lead acetate and is toxic...

Dan

Or you could shoot jacketed bullets and never have to clean the barrel :ph34r:

Now why would you want to waste that extra $5 per thousand? ;)

It's more like $50 per thousand here, going from Montana Gold to Bayou. And I also save .3 grains of powder each round, woo-hoo ;)

Two years of that savings and I can buy another Tanfo!

• 3 weeks later...

Xtremes are the plated bullets correct?

Yeah they are plated. IMHO one of the better plated bullets out there. They harder than Berry's and have a fairly thick plating on them. IMHO they seem more consistent than the Rainer.

The PowerBond's to me look like they are the best made that I have seen (harder than the Xtremes, thick plating), but they are .356" diameter for 9mm which it too big for the throat of my gun.

Plus you can get large lots of Xtremes for a good price.

If I were to buy the plated 9mm Xtreme 124's and using N105 what would be a good load for major in a Tanfo 38 supercomp Gold? I just noticed that somebody said the Xtreme's are .356. I am shooting .355, how is that going to effect my gun?

Edited by texarkana