Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power Pistol for 9mm minor

evild

I screwed up and bought the wrong powder, meant to get Tight Group and for some reason I said Power Pistol and when I got home it dawned on me i made the mistake, the store doesn't take returns on powder. The first loads I made up were 5.7 under a 115 gr Berry's at 1.130, they seemed very close in feel to my 132 PF loads with 231, 6.2 grains seemed pretty hot, I dont' have a chrono at my disposal that often so it may be a while before I can chrono them. So my question is, anybody using this powder for 9mm minor with 115 grain bullets and what did you chrono. I searched but din't find what i was looking for.

I'll be chrono'ing 6.2 PP under a 115 Hornady XTP JHP tomorrow @ 1.132 OAL. I will let you know where I end up.

PP is a very loud powder (you may want to double plug), and 115s with any powder will have more 'snap' and felt recoil that many other loads you'll find people use here in games. I don't think you'll find many people here loading that combo, but it's a good powder for accuracy and velocity in 9mm.

Much less felt recoil with a 124 gr bullet and 4.1 - 4.2 gr of TG loaded out at 1.150" OAL, and 147's with of TG is like shooting a .22.

I'll be chrono'ing 6.2 PP under a 115 Hornady XTP JHP tomorrow @ 1.132 OAL. I will let you know where I end up.

PP is a very loud powder (you may want to double plug), and 115s with any powder will have more 'snap' and felt recoil that many other loads you'll find people use here in games. I don't think you'll find many people here loading that combo, but it's a good powder for accuracy and velocity in 9mm.

Much less felt recoil with a 124 gr bullet and 4.1 - 4.2 gr of TG loaded out at 1.150" OAL, and 147's with of TG is like shooting a .22.

I appreciate it. I usually use 124's but I got a good price on the 115's. Now that i think about it, my 132 pf loads were 124's.

PP is great for mid and full power loads why noit make some of those up to use in practice to use up the power and then when you go to your match load you'll think its real easy to shoot the 125 PF loads. Just a thought.

PP is great for mid and full power loads why noit make some of those up to use in practice to use up the power and then when you go to your match load you'll think its real easy to shoot the 125 PF loads. Just a thought.

Because, doing that would be like practicing playing volleyball with a football....You should practice with what you are going to shoot, otherwise, what's the point?

Power Pistol 115gr bullet @1.140 5.5gr 1105fps, 5.6gr 1118fps, 5.7gr 1130fps, 5.8gr 1143fps, 6.0gr 1186fps. I find that PowerPistol is accurate with loads that are hotter than we like for competition. 6 grains was by far the most accurate in my testing. It's loud and has muzzle flash.

Power Pistol 115gr bullet @1.140 5.5gr 1105fps, 5.6gr 1118fps, 5.7gr 1130fps, 5.8gr 1143fps, 6.0gr 1186fps. I find that PowerPistol is accurate with loads that are hotter than we like for competition. 6 grains was by far the most accurate in my testing. It's loud and has muzzle flash.

I used to use PP for minor loads, 5.6gr, 115 MG bullets, 132 PF. Out of a Glock 34.

Cool, sounds like I'm right about where i should be with the loads I have, Thanks.

PP is not a great minor powder. Don't worry about making it into a Minor powder. Just work up some mid-range or better loads till the powder is gone. Then switch to a faster powder. If you load PP to light it may not burn very well. I have done some great loads with PP and 125gr bullets. Never any with 115 grs.

Edited by 98sr20ve

115 Hornday XTP JHP, 1.132" OAL and 6.2 grains of Power Pistol ran 1,202 fps average out of my G17 @~75 degrees F near sea level. Chrono was 12 ft from the muzzle.

The same load only made 1,165 fps average out of my M&P Full Size (4.25" barrel). I do have a slow barrel though.

My G17 put 5 rounds into 1.6" with that load @ 25 yards.

It does sound like a hand cannon going off. :blink:

Using 6.0 grains of Power Pistol and a 124 Montana Gold CMJ, the G17 averaged 1,143 fps, and the M&P averaged 1,100 fps. The G17 shot that load well also.

Edited by mizer67

115 Hornday XTP JHP, 1.132" OAL and 6.2 grains of Power Pistol ran 1,202 fps average out of my G17 @~75 degrees F near sea level. Chrono was 12 ft from the muzzle.

The same load only made 1,165 fps average out of my M&P Full Size (4.25" barrel). I do have a slow barrel though.

My G17 put 5 rounds into 1.6" with that load @ 25 yards.

It does sound like a hand cannon going off. :blink:

Using 6.0 grains of Power Pistol and a 124 Montana Gold CMJ, the G17 averaged 1,143 fps, and the M&P averaged 1,100 fps. The G17 shot that load well also.

Thanks.

Shot my 5.7 loads at todays match, the comments i got were "Trying to make major", What did you Chrono? Did you just fill up the case with powder and put a bullet on top? Do you like a lot of muzzle flip?

I didn't feel these were that excessive, except on our 99-12 classifier when I had to shoot weak hand. Also, had a couple of double feeds, guessing these are actually light and its just a noisy flashy powder. Going to pick up a pound of Tight Group and save the rest of the PP for some thing else.

Power Pistol is a VERY loud powder. Also LOTS of flash. Hence why I used the term "hand cannon".

Recoil is similar to most other powders in that burn range, IMO. You will get more muzzle flip with 115s vs. heavier bullets.

Power Pistol is a VERY loud powder. Also LOTS of flash. Hence why I used the term "hand cannon".

Recoil is similar to most other powders in that burn range, IMO. You will get more muzzle flip with 115s vs. heavier bullets.

Going to try it in 124 than retire it for a while and pick up some other poweder, either back to 231 or TG

Edited by evild

My minor load last year (before I knew better) was.

147 gr Precision Bullet Co molly coated TC

3.9gr power pistol

Federal SPP

Federal head stamp

1.100 OAL

900 FPS average from a G43 stock barrel

147 gr Precision Bullet Co molly coated TC

3.9gr power pistol

Federal SPP

Federal head stamp

1.090 OAL

925 FPS average from a G43 - KKM barrel

It could have been tuned down some more but it worked. I will be switching powder this year, to what I do not know.

Man I shot my first match every with berrys 124gr rn with either 5.4 or 5.6 of pp and it worked just fine for me, but I knew it wasnt the ideal powder. I had no idea how much less muzzle flip I could get outta my gun by just switching powders. Now i've just been on a constant pursuit, or I should say I just got back and forth between a couple or few powders.

I would recommend anyone that hasn't tried it, try the imr sr7625. I have some n320 but I've only probably shot about 50 rounds or so of it. I actually shot one stage with n320 and the rest with 7625 at our last local match and I honestly couldn't tell any difference. I'm probably going to hit the range sometime this week and do a more scientific side by side comparison. My first impression was, I should just stick with 7625 :)

I run a 124gr berry's RN

4.6gr 7625

1.15 OAL, I tried shorter OAL and this is what worked well for me

I will occasionally run 4.5gr but I really can't tell a difference, I don't have chrono info on this load yet. I have seen some other peoples chrono info with 4.6 and if I recall right its about 130-133 pf, but again there are a lot of variables.

Edited by Scoobb

• 2 years later...

If you switch to 147's, power pistol is much more manageable than with 115's. I used to load 6.2 grains of Powerpistol with old style Remington 115 JHP's. Very accurate load-just loud with a muzzle flash.