Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange prop offering to my club - comments plz

I occasionally receive strange emails, as i am a point of contact for my local

club. Our club hosts USPSA, IDPA, CASS and ICORE pistol competitions.

This one is from a local in my town who offered:

"Hi:

I was wondering if your interested in using these heads for your shooting competitions.

They'd run $35.00 in ones or two, but they would be cheaper in dozen lots or more.

If you order a dozen or more they would be $25.00 a head. They normally come in red,

blue, tan, and orange and other colors. These were hand painted and are not for sale."

My initial reply:

"It is an interesting concept, but our shooting competitions are already

a bit under fire, and under public scrutiny that we must not give the

appearance of a combat sport."

His response:

"Thanks for the reply. But what really really blows me away are your

comments about being under fire and under public scrutiny.

Can you give me more information on that?

Any ideas how to placate him?

post-11732-0-72740700-1321984275_thumb.j

post-11732-0-29008200-1321984494_thumb.j

You're in Idaho? And you get scrutinized for hosting gun matches?

I thought the West was a whole lot free-er and gun friendlier than that.

Weird? Huh?

The dude sounds like a loon. A capitalist loon, but a loon nonetheless. it's one of those email conversations that has me thinking in my best "DANGER WIL ROBINSON DANGER!" voice DO NOT ENGAGE! DO NOT ENGAGE! this person in any more emails. Like the other guy said...ignore him.

Why bother? He is a sales guy doing his thing. If he can get you feeling guilty, you might buy something. If he continues to contact you, tell him if he can match the price of an equivalent cardboard target on a per piece basis, you may have something to talk about.

Why bother? He is a sales guy doing his thing. If he can get you feeling guilty, you might buy something. If he continues to contact you, tell him if he can match the price of an equivalent cardboard target on a per piece basis, you may have something to talk about.

Bingo.

Bill Nesbit and Whistlepig are absolutely correct.

Usually we would get the heads from a local beauty school and we use them for training ....usually for sniper training.

I also agree that it almost seems like this person is "fishing" for a confrontation/argument over the shooting sports.

Send him to your local SWAT team....I'm sure they can use them but I bet you $ they will not pay $35 even for 4 of them.

JK

Too expensive to bother with, would be hard to score consistently once they've been shot.

"It is an interesting concept, but our shooting competitions are already

a bit under fire, and under public scrutiny that we must not give the

appearance of a combat sport."

This is weak reasoning and not logically consistent. You're already shooting at humanoid targets (USPSA and IDPA), with duty/military style firearms. Your club is hosting IDPA matches that exist for people to use practical equipment in simulated self defense scenarios (per IDPA website). In short your reply left the door open for him to argue with you.