Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GSSF Power Factor

Gun Geek

Trying to find power factor requirements for GSSF meets.

I've done searches here, GlockTalk, and on the GSSF site - no luck.

Anybody got the lowdown?

I'm shooting a 9mm (G34), probably 147gn heads.

Thanks!

Geek

You get a reshoot if you have a jam with factory ammo (non Wolf).  You don't for reloads.

They don't give reshoots for Wolf ammo? I hadn't heard that one. Did they give a reason why?

BTW: to gungeek, they're supposed to have the poppers set to go down with light 9mm, but it doesn't always happen that way. You might want to make sure you at least make USPSA minor.

They don't give reshoots for Wolf ammo? I hadn't heard that one. Did they give a reason why?

"Not SAAMI spec" was what Chris Edwards said when I RO-ed a GSSF match. I suspect they had to award too many jam-related reshoots.

My G23 load is 135 PF, picked basically because it was the low end of the .40 Clays loads that I could find in Hodgdon's published data, works in the gun with its stock components, is easy to shoot, accurate enough, and can also be used in Production w/o change (at least in the Glock - gotta respring the LDA if I use that in Production instead). That may not help directly with your G34, but is one person's 2 cents worth on a practical starting point.

• 5 years later...

Has this changed? If you go to a GSSF match you can shoot any powerfactor? I have shot around 115 PF messing around and it knocks popers down. I would probably want to be up around 120 just for a little more insurance.

Also, will they send you home for shooing lead in a factory barrel? Just wondering.

Has this changed? If you go to a GSSF match you can shoot any powerfactor? I have shot around 115 PF messing around and it knocks popers down. I would probably want to be up around 120 just for a little more insurance.

Also, will they send you home for shooing lead in a factory barrel? Just wondering.

I have been to several GSSF matches and no power factor and no problem shooting lead through a factory barrel.

There is no power factor for GSSF. However, you DO need to knock down the steel. If you shoot USPSA and have a Production load, use that load. You're guaranteed to knock down the steel. At my range, the GSSF match is held on the same day as the USPSA match. So, I shoot the local match with a G17 and then walk next door to shoot GSSF.

Now, you can shoot whatever ammo you want to shoot out of your glock. HOWEVER, the armorer may tell you the warranty is void because you are using loaded/remanufactured ammo. You CAN use fiber optic front sights as well now. I think last year was the first year you could do that but I'm not 100% sure. I recommend taking advantage of that one. Hope this helps.

Pretty much what Shred said. You get a reshoot if you have a jam with factory loaded ammo, not with reloads. No reshoot if you load your magazines incorrectly, even with factory ammo...I've seen people run off to Chris Edwards, and ask for a reshoot when they mistakenly left their "barney" mag in the gun.

Also had a top competitor tell me his 108 grain Zero softpoints were factory ammo, when his open gun jammed. Mixed brass and softpoints = factory loaded ammo. Only if your garage is considered a factory. (He ended up winning Master Unlimited, on his reshoot).

Seiichi

I took an Open Glock to a GSSF in Georgia once & used 9Major loads; the RO/SO nearly jumped out of his skin the first time the gun went off!

"Ah thought yo' gun blowed-up!" he told me. :roflol:

Nice folks at GSSF; I have a lot of happy memories of the shoots we went to.

Pretty much what Shred said. You get a reshoot if you have a jam with factory loaded ammo, not with reloads.

That rule appears to have changed. When I RO'd a match a few weeks ago the rule book given to us said (I'm paraphrasing here) that the benefit goes to the shooter, if the gun malfunctions for any reason, bad ammo, limp wristing, magazine, etc. the competitor will receive a reshoot.

It was a surprise to me because I was sure that the only way you got a reshoot was for factory ammo that malfunctioned.

Yep, the factory ammo part of the reshoot rule changed this year. Now it's any ammo, one time reshoot. Gun pukes again, you take it to the armorer and if he says it's a gun problem and he can fix it, you get another reshoot. But you only get one reshoot now. I'm not sure if it's per shooter, gun or stage though. If I was king, I'd say one per gun but I don't think they spelled it out in the rules. It's GSSF, benefit of the doubt goes to the shooter.

As far as PF, they calibrate the steel with 9mm Blazer. And they calibrate it low. Any factory 9mm will take it down with a decent hit, but if you're shooting sub-minor stuff, like I do, you better make sure you get a good hit and be willing to follow it up with another.

Also had a top competitor tell me his 108 grain Zero softpoints were factory ammo, when his open gun jammed. Mixed brass and softpoints = factory loaded ammo. Only if your garage is considered a factory. (He ended up winning Master Unlimited, on his reshoot).

Seiichi

That could have been Atlanta Arms & Ammo. I believe they use Zero bullets (as does Zero/Rose). Mixed brass as well.

if you're shooting sub-minor stuff, like I do, you better make sure you get a good hit and be willing to follow it up with another.

No wonder you've been cleaning up the west coast........gamer :goof:

It's my steel load, just saves me from having to sight the gun in every other week. It's the AA&A 115 Gr. Steel load. It clocks about 1080 out of the gun. I don't think it's saving me that much time. Works out to 124.20 PF.

Just messin with you, I shoot my steel load too. Its right about 125 +/- out of my G17 but less out of my commander length STI steel gun.

It's my steel load, just saves me from having to sight the gun in every other week. It's the AA&A 115 Gr. Steel load. It clocks about 1080 out of the gun. I don't think it's saving me that much time. Works out to 124.20 PF.

Just messin with you, I shoot my steel load too. Its right about 125 +/- out of my G17 but less out of my commander length STI steel gun.

What? You're not supposed to use your steel load for GSSF? :P I thought that was a requirement.

But I don't think I could shoot some of Chucks times, even if I was using airsoft.

Seiichi