Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 Western States Single Stack Championship

The 10th Annual Western States Single Stack Championship match is complete.

Congratulations to the 2012 Winner, Nils Jonasson, and well as all the shooters. We hope everyone had a terrific time.

Click here for match results http://www.riopractical.com/text/wsssc2012.txt (right Mouse Click and choose Save Target As to save the file)

For more info on the Western States Single Stack Championship, please go http://www.riopractical.com/WSSSC/wsssc.htm

Over 30 people were no shows?

Are these the final results?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice going Nils!!!! TGO shooting minor and still third-very cool.

The stage design really did favor the 2 extra rounds available in minor..

Many stages rewarded shooting arrays of 8 and 9 shots that included swingers and small plates or popers at distance..

Cheers,

Los

Many stages rewarded shooting arrays of 8 and 9 shots that included swingers and small plates or popers at distance..

Cheers,

Los

I completely disagree. I shot minor also, and I thought there were virtually no opportunities to find more efficient ways to run the stages and put those extra two bullets to use. I suppose there were a few times the extra rounds were comforting to have, but mostly they just wound up in my dumped mags on the ground as I shot through the stage the same way everybody else did--giving up points with every hit outside the A-zone! It was a fun experiment, but next year I will probably go back to shooting major--and I'll bet TGO does, too! :)

Great match, by the way! Thanks to everybody who helped make it happen.

Cheers,

Los

I completely disagree. I shot minor also, and I thought there were virtually no opportunities to find more efficient ways to run the stages and put those extra two bullets to use. I suppose there were a few times the extra rounds were comforting to have, but mostly they just wound up in my dumped mags on the ground as I shot through the stage the same way everybody else did--giving up points with every hit outside the A-zone! It was a fun experiment, but next year I will probably go back to shooting major--and I'll bet TGO does, too! :)

Great match, by the way! Thanks to everybody who helped make it happen.

Lol you can disagree, mine was an opinion :)

Stage 2

6 point blank pappers and 8 steel i was 1 down

Stage 3 was a good one for 10+1

That that's the one that had the full plate wrack the mini popper and the partial :)

That one could be shot more comfortably with the extra rounds giving 5 extra shots going into the swinger and 2 extra shots going in to the wrack...

Stage 4 had the middle port with two statics and two swingers for a total of 8 rounds minor gave you 3 pick ups on those swingers...

Stage 7 had a 9 round finish with mini popper at 20 or yards a miss on the popper did not constitute a reload..

Stage 10 was a 8 round speed shoot with 2 swingers 2 activators and a strict partial in the middle.. No room for misses if your shooting major..

I think there was a strategic advantage to shooting minor..

And if your shooting to win your not dropping many points anyway..

I'm not sure if tgo decided to shoot minor becuse of the design or not..

But I did think that for those shooting major the stage design always made you choose between going out like a rock star or giving up some time and taking the safe route (which was awesome)

The match was Absolutly fenomenal, last years was good but the stage design this year was simply brilliant..

I don't think the stages could have been a better balance of challange and fun..

Can't wait to do it over next year!

I think the decision of minor v. major was around the specifics of the match. Many felt minor was an advantage. Having watched TGO and others shoot minor it did seem one less reload did enhance the efficiency of their course strategy.

Again, this logic was applicable to this match and not all matches.

The discussion was how well minor worked out with regards to the overall in the match. I suspect there going to be more 9 mm SS being built over the coming months. In my limited knowledge view, there was an advantage in this match.

I am going to be looking at at least a 9mm top end for my single stack.

I think the decision of minor v. major was around the specifics of the match. Many felt minor was an advantage. Having watched TGO and others shoot minor it did seem one less reload did enhance the efficiency of their course strategy.

The discussion was how well minor worked out with regards to the overall in the match. I suspect there going to be more 9 mm SS being built over the coming months. In my limited knowledge view, there was an advantage in this match.

I agree, and in my opinion the exitance of such decision in this match (to minor or not to minor) is what made this match so special..

It covered the spectrum of ss shooting that much matches don't :)

Kudos once agein for the spectacular stage design..

I've never shoot the ss nationals but I can't Imagen it to be better than this weekends match..

It was just superb!

It is well known, I am very bias (and opinionated).

I have shot Single Stack National Match several times as well as the WSSSC.

In my experience, the WSSSC is a far superior match. The stage designs are excellent. The props are always great. The staff are great.

Although I have had snow at WSSSC for all of twenty minutes, the weather at both matches have been ok to great. Last year was the first time I froze at SSNats. I was unprepared.

The WSSSC is a great match, IMO the best I have ever shot in my limited experience.

I think the results pretty much speak for themselves. Virtually all of the top finishers went with the 8+1 major option, and Nils beat Rob by a relatively large margin. I believe Rob indicated that he was trying minor just for an experiment. I would bet he would tell you that if he could shoot the match all over again, and if he were taking it 100% seriously, he would go with major.

The good shooters don't make up very many shots, and at the WSSSC you didn't see the good shooters making very many extra reloads. Having extra "safety" rounds was the only real benefit to shooting minor at this particular match, and that is not enough to make up for minor scoring--not for the upper-echelon shooters anyway. You gotta remember that the major-caliber shooters might have had to slow down on the steel, but the minor-caliber shooters had to slow down on the paper, in order to keep most of the hits in the A-zone and not defeat the whole purpose!

Believe me, I tried to find ways to break down the stages differently in order to take advantage of my 10+1 capacity (which as Neomet points out is "sick hi-cap stuff" compared to the six shots I'm most acclimated to having), but there really were not any opportunities to do that. Believe me, I looked.

I have shot Single Stack National Match several times as well as the WSSSC.

In my experience, the WSSSC is a far superior match. The stage designs are excellent. The props are always great. The staff are great.

On this we can agree!! :cheers:

Once again Steve H. and crew have done an outstanding job. I agree with the rest of the folks. The stages were outstanding and set up different ways to shoot a stage.

I would like to mention a big Thank You to the R.O's on Stage 2. They let us shoot through on their lunch break Sunday so we could start our 7 hour drive back home early.

Hey Mike, just curious. Had you always planned on shooting the 9mm or did you choose it after looking at the stages? I have a buddy who picked his 9 after checking out the stages. Haven't talked to him yet to see if he was happy with his choice.

Had a blast at the match. This was my second WSSSC and 3rd match at Rio. Other one was Area 2.

All i can say is great job by Steve and everybody involved from the stage designs to the ROing to the stats people getting everything done and blah blah blah.....you get my drift.

If you enjoy shooting 1911s, this is a "MUST DO" match!!!

Thanks to everybody involved and to everyone on squad 7 bow.gif

You all ROCK!!!!

Al

I think the major/minor debate could go on forever. I wouldn't pick a caliber just by looking at stage diagrams on paper. At least for me, they don't mean much until I see the stage on the ground. I only look at them in advance to see if there are any unusual start positions. Were there times that I wished I had 2 extra rounds in this match...sure...and every match before it in the last 4 years shooting SS. And I'm sure there are times the 9mm guys wished they were shooting major as they were following the RO while being scored. As Mike indicated, the hotrods don't pick up many shots in a match. If I were to have my wife shoot SS, I think I would have her shoot minor just for the comfort zone/confidence building aspect, as she doesn't have a lot of match experience.

This was my first WSSSC match and it won't be my last. Was fortunate to have some good friends and good shooters in our squad. It's fun to watch guys like Ron Avery, Mike C. and Robert K. If you're paying attention at all, you'll pick up knowledge from guys like this. Stages were good, and offered options. Weather was fantastic. The only thing I would change would be slightly smaller squads and a few less swingers :angry2: . Thanks to all those that worked the match. We are already planning for next year.

Cheers,

Los

And this is the reason I going to convert one of my other .45s to 9mm (and makes a nice home project for me).

Garret

Hey Mike, just curious. Had you always planned on shooting the 9mm or did you choose it after looking at the stages? I have a buddy who picked his 9 after checking out the stages. Haven't talked to him yet to see if he was happy with his choice.

I always planned on shooting 9mm this year, and shipped my ammo down in advance.

I am no threat to the top shooters (although I certainly like to brag out about my 19th place finish last year!) and just felt like having fun with it and enjoy the escape from Iowa this time of year. If you ask me, a 9mm 1911 is one of the most enjoyable guns to shoot! However, if I had both major and minor sets of equipment along with me, and assuming I actually took the time to physically look at the stages in advance (which I didn't), I would have shot major.

I will admit that the difference between major and minor was not huge at this match--whichever side of the debate you adopt--which I think is a positive testament to both stage design at this match, and the SS division rules in general. It's cool when either option is reasonably viable.

Well I just wanted to say that Steve and his staff have done a phenominal job on this match. The ROs were very friendly and curtious. Aside from my A$$ over tea kettle tumble (Thank you all on squad 11 for yours concerns, you all are awesome) the match was well run challenging and FUN!!!! This was my second WSSSC and will not be my last. As for the comparison to the Nationals it is Apples and Oranges and in having to decide which match is the best one, my opinion is to attend WSSSC. Did Nats last year for the sake of doing so during the 100th year of the JMB design. Now for the major vs minor debate well that is a personal preference for each to decide. I agree there are pros and cons to each. However there were a few occasions the extra rounds would have been nice except the issue were not the round count as much as the loose nut behind my trigger. (Note to self : practice practice practice) Once again thank you all for an excellent experience and Squad 11 you all rock.

Jammer 1911: That wreck you had took a while to unfold, but never once did the gun get close to an unsafe angle/area. Nice job! I've had a few of those myself over the years, and I know the feeling.

And Mike, I can still hear those 40gr. 9mm Varmint Grenades going down range on the Standards at 3700 fps or whatever blistering speeds those things are doing. Why not just run a .223 next year and be done with it :D .