Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 1911 in .40SW poll:

gunfixer

I have an edge 40 and an eagle in 9mm from Dawson Precision with tuned mags for 40 and over the counter for nine. Have shot both all year and have not had a single malfunction, none, nada, zip with either in a match or practice. If you have Dave set up your gun and you have a problem, he takes care of it, no hassel. Great staff. Why limit yourself to a single stack?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an edge 40 and an eagle in 9mm from Dawson Precision with tuned mags for 40 and over the counter for nine. Have shot both all year and have not had a single malfunction, none, nada, zip with either in a match or practice. If you have Dave set up your gun and you have a problem, he takes care of it, no hassel. Great staff. Why limit yourself to a single stack?

I already shoot .40sw, Major w/ my STI Edge, and have the 9mm Trojan for IDPA..

I am also about to finally start reloading thank goodness & just want everything in 1 caliber.. I can load Minor & Major, no sweat..

So... STI Custom Edge for my favorite..: Limited Major...

My new SS, 1911, .40sw for Limited 10 & IDPA..

I also carry a 'lil Kahr K-40 for my concealment gun..

I may keep the Trojan 9mm but more likely will not, as I need my reloading equipt. now and it should be

utilized by someone who'll value it as much as I do.. B)

Why limit yourself to a single stack?

Limit? Limit? Shooting SS makes life much more interesting.

BB

Lol..! Ask any of the great guys I shoot with.. I am not THAT great at all..!, but.. in fact I am improving

and above all, I really love the challenge..! It IS interesting..!!

'Wondering why the majority is saying "Blued Trojan" & "Other.."/ Custom Built..

I'm teetering toward another HC Trojan as I love my other SO much.. Hmmmm... :wacko::ph34r:

Decisions... Decisions... :blink: I love it..! ;)

Edited by gunfixer

I have a new Trojan in 40, and had to replace the mag release. Would lock in(released) about 30% of the time. Loading it long, and it seams to run ok when it holds the mag, but I have not had the time to play with it since the new mag release.

All things considered, I would have a gunsmith build me one. That way I get it how I want. Some of the gunsmiths are turning around guns pretty fast(Akai). All of my custom built guns run at 100%, my factory guns always need something.

Randy

get a custom built with all the good parts, I voted none.

Custom build!

I have 2 single stack .40's. Living in California buying bare frames is pretty tough so I started with a Spingfield Mil-Spec .38 super and a 9mm loaded. Sold all the parts except the frames. Sent the frames off and had them custom built.

post-370-0-27377100-1321575006_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian Gonsalves

Using a Trojan in .40 that was "handled" by Virgil Tripp for a relatively low sum. Runs flawlessly using Tripp .40 mags on my own reloads. Aside from my Edge in .40, this is my favorite pistol in my collection.

I have a buddy with a Cheely .40 single stack that's just plain gorgeous.

How does it shoot? better than a Les Baer 1.5"?

Exactly the same. Pull trigger, goes bang.

I've never shot a Les Baer; but I can say the Cheely shoots real nice.

Okay... So... I've gone ahead and gotten another Factory Hard Chromed, STI Trojan in .40SW to replace my 9mm..

It'll be an "Off-Set" version by the middle of next week-ish, with all Blue controls; i.e.: Hard Chromed Slide & Frame,

and everything else blue...

Blue Dawson ICE Magwell, STI Beavertail Grip Safety, STI Ambi Safety, STI Slide Stop, STI Barrel Bushing &

Recoil Spring pass through plug. I think it's gonna look great..! So far I've only fired it w/ the one factory mag, but I've

also spoken w/ Virgil @ Tripp Research and he's making me several "Hybrid" or "System mags for it, possibly as we speak..!

It's lready been cleaned, tuned & 50 rounds fired after the tuning job.. 'Had 1 failure to feed correctly due to excessive tension

on the extractor, runs perfectly so far/ now after correcting that..!

Thanks for your participation in the Poll..! :cheers:

-E!-

Edited by gunfixer

I would not buy a stock 1911 40 S&W from anyone, they are just not reliable. I own (2) custom hard chromed 1911 40 S&W (built from the ground up) and they go bang all the time regardless of ammo and bullet type (factory or reloads). Both pistols were expensive but money was well spent and peice of mind.

Also, mag fit is very important. I use nine & ten round 10 mm Cobra mags not the Cobra 40S&W mags and also 10 round 40 S&W shooting star mags, they work just fine in both pistols. The pistols were built to use these mags. Cartridge OAL is also a factor in most stock 40 S&W pistols. Primarily I use 155gr. HBRN and 180 gr. semi-truncated bullets ( I reload my ammo to work in my pistols). Fully truncated bullets can also cause feeding problems in stock guns especially when the mags are not fitted for that particular pistol (not all mags are created equal).

IMHO if you don't spend the time & money with a master gunsmith, then reliability will always be an issue.

I have a buddy with a Cheely .40 single stack that's just plain gorgeous.

How does it shoot? better than a Les Baer 1.5"?

Exactly the same. Pull trigger, goes bang.

I've never shot a Les Baer; but I can say the Cheely shoots real nice.

+1

Eric, Let us know how it shot this weekend.

Thanks Alan, I wish I could, but I have yet to get my new mags. and "Racing Rig" for it..

I shot my Edge yesterday. As usual, I shot in the "Incredibly Mediocre" range.. Lol..

'Wish you'd been able to attend Bud..!

I WILL keep y'all posted.!

-E!-

I bought an STI 'USPSA Single Stack' in .40 S&W last year and it has been perfectly reliable. I run Tripp Cobra .40 S&W mags and don't load long (MG 200 gr CMJs @ 1.095"). I've only used it in about a dozen club level matches so far but I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces at the 2012 Florida Open in Feb and the 2012 Single Stack Nationals in May.

USPSA-SS_Main_320x240.jpg

Edited by Dragoon

Very informative thread. I've been looking to get a .40 SS in the near future.

Man, I am really glad I started this one too.. I did end up w/ a HC, STI Trojan

that I finally just finished giving the 2-tone treatment.. It seems as though it'll

be as awesome as it's 'lil 'bro the Trojan 9mm was..!

I'll post pics sometime soon.