Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which 617

fudd

Okay guys & dolls,

Since started reading post in Revo forum I have started a family with 625-8 5", a 627 no lock full lug 5' 6 round and a 627 PC 8SHOT 5".

My next acquisition must be a 617, it will for cheaper practice sessions. Since will start as a practice gun for ICORE which barrel length 4 or 6" and why?

Cylinder I am leaning towards is the 6 shot to keep with the 6 round guns. So when I practice it will go bang,bang, bang, bang, bang,bang and then click if I pull trigger to meany times.

Whete as the 10 woud go bannnnnnnnnng, bannnnnnnnnnng, bannng, bannng,bannng, banng, plus 4 more bangs, thus confusing my count. :unsure:

Your input would be appreciated.

Any and all advise will be weigh for its reasoning,

Thanks,

Jerrt

So when I practice it will go bang,bang, bang, bang, bang,bang and then click if I pull trigger to meany times.

I recommend the 10-shot. It adds to the versatility of an already-versatile gun. The 10-shot is a dandy rimfire steel gun, for example. Pulling the trigger too many times is a shooter issue, not a gun-related one. The 10-shot will force you to become familiar with the number "6" quickly.

Barrel length is more subjective. The 6" feels muzzle heavy to me. Besides, most of my CF revos are 4", so the 4" 617 was the better choice for me. BTW, accuracy is excellent, so even with it's 4" barrel, it can be pressed into target duty when needed.

If you want the perfect set-up, you could get a 6", then have a gunsmith cut it to 5" and install a Weigand interchangeable sight base, so the barrel length and the sights match it's CF sibling.

Tom

Okay guys & dolls,

Since started reading post in Revo forum I have started a family with 625-8 5", a 627 no lock full lug 5' 6 round and a 627 PC 8SHOT 5".

My next acquisition must be a 617, it will for cheaper practice sessions. Since will start as a practice gun for ICORE which barrel length 4 or 6" and why?

Cylinder I am leaning towards is the 6 shot to keep with the 6 round guns. So when I practice it will go bang,bang, bang, bang, bang,bang and then click if I pull trigger to meany times.

Whete as the 10 woud go bannnnnnnnnng, bannnnnnnnnnng, bannng, bannng,bannng, banng, plus 4 more bangs, thus confusing my count. :unsure:

Your input would be appreciated.

Any and all advise will be weigh for its reasoning,

Thanks,

Jerrt

My opinion is get a 6" 10 shot. It will be better if you get into a competitive situation (probably steel, maybe the new ICORE division?). It will more closely approximate your other guns (the heaviest kframe possible). I am about to find out if the new more better 10 shot speed loaders are actually more betterer. Trust yourself re counting to 6, especially in practice.

The other point of view is that of those who like to make practice with the .22 more difficult. You already will have a heavier pull and the shorter barrel is more of a challenge.

Whatever. Get one and start getting the reps in.

Edited by underlug

I just got a 4" 10 shot. even with 10 shots you will spend more time reloading than shooting.

I got the 4" because I put a dot on it. Sight radius has nothing to do with it. Btw I shot a 12" plate 6 out if ten times at 100 yards. Accuracy isn't an issue either.

I had a 617 10 shot 6" and sold it to purchase a 617 10 shot 4". The 6" barrel was nose heavy and felt like it was dipping on every shot. The 4" balances more like the 5" 625. I would also recommend the 10 shot vs the 6 shot. Buy some speed loaders and a loading block and you will be good to go.

Keep in mind there is no way to get a trigger job on a 617 that comes close to the 625. About the only thing you can do is polish parts, get a long firing pin and back off a little on the main spring. Anymore than that and you give up reliable ignition. As already mentioned the 10 shot guns are great for Steel Challenge rimfire.

I found the 6 inch barreled 617 with full lugged barrel a bit too muzzle heavy for my taste. I puirchased the 4 inch version and enjoy shooting it. I wish they made the 6 inches without the full barrel lug much like the olf K-22's. I am tempetd to purchse a 6 inch version and have the front part of the lug milled off.

I suggest the 6 inch 10 shot. It gives you a longer sight radius and helps unless you plan on putting a dot on the gun. If you decide to shoot steel matches you can push yourself and have extra shots available.

The 10 shot gives you the same advantage as the 8 shot 627. And you can get the DS-10 speedloaders and loading blocks for it. They work great.

Next thing, learn to count to six if that is a big problem for you. Just fire six shots and stop. No big deal.

My first revolver was a 6 inch 617 10 shot. When it comes to deciding how many rounds just ask yourself : do I want to practice shooting or practice reloading? The DS-10 speed loaders and loading blocks are inexpensive and highly recommended. I shoot revolvers in NRA PPC as well as USPSA/IPSC. My PPC revolver is a totally tricked out 686 with a 6 inch bull barrel. My IPSC revolver is a model 610 with a six and half inch barrel. Every time I go to the range for practice I will put down 200- 250 rounds 22lr in the 617. I will then shoot between 100 and 150 rounds of the competition revolver of choice for that evening. Meanwhile in the booth beside me my wife is banging away on her 5 inch 627 PC eight shot. If I am not using the 617 then she is. You may wish to consider that a longer sight radius of 6 inches will give you more precision than a shorter barrel of 4 inches. Have fun!

I think if you discover a steel or .22 bowling pin match you will find that the 10 shot is the best option. I also have a 6 shot 617 and don't find the trigger pull to be that much different, during rapid fire shooting I don't think much about it, I just run out of ammo sooner. As far as barrel length, I prefer the 4" for close/fast targets and the 6" for more distant targets. The guys in Indiana established a rimfire revolver iron division at their Steel Challenge match, which worked out for me. When you get hooked on rimfire shooting you are going to end up with both barrel lengths anyway so it doesn't matter which one you get now. :D

dsc03033small.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I also went with the 4" 10 shot. I put the same grips and release as my CF. with a 1" shorter sight radius and a slightly worse trigger - my CF seems like a cake walk on tighter shots. I use mine for SC and also practicing trigger cadance. Don't overlook convenience either. No casting, no loading, no real expense, no clips. Just grab the gun and a brick of bulk and head to the range.

Lee

I also went with the 4" 10 shot. I put the same grips and release as my CF. with a 1" shorter sight radius and a slightly worse trigger - my CF seems like a cake walk on tighter shots. I use mine for SC and also practicing trigger cadance. Don't overlook convenience either. No casting, no loading, no real expense, no clips. Just grab the gun and a brick of bulk and head to the range.

Lee

not to mention: the pure fun and an excellent gun to start new shooters with.

Not much to add to the choice of barrel, its personal and you can't go wrong with either. really good advice from all. I stress the benefit of the 10 round model, for all the obvious reasons but 2 most important reasons are the Ds-10, or other copies, which is an absolute mandatory must have, trust all those who've already commented. And the other most important reason is that you won't have to deal with answering yourself, "why didn't I just listen to everyone and get the 10 rounder intead of the 6 at the beginning."

I think the perfect choice would be a cut back 6" or one with weight taken off the barrel, but that is not always an option and a lot more expense. I don't have any problems with 50 yard shots, but I also replaced the front with one of Warren's thinner and taller fronts. The top right is my 610 top left is the 617 - this was taken before I got the replacement front for the 617.

2ef0e01a.jpg

Lee

I like my 6". Works for me. I am a big guy and have strong hands so perhaps a smaller person might find it "heavy'"

I'm with you Merlin. Let the others play with their shorter barrels. I am sure it is not the size/length that matters, but, what you can do with it.........or so I have been told

I used my 6 inch 10 shot 617 ( 43oz ) to teach my 8+10 year olds how to shoot. The new 8 shot 4.2 inch Ruger sp101 (30oz) would be a better choice had it been available. Difinatly worthy of consideration, fiber optic front sight also as standard.

Thanks "thread"... now I've got the bug in the ear to get a 617 now too! I will likely get a 4" since that what my 686 and 625 are... each with the patridge front sight too.

Dave, let me know if you want to try mine sometime. Although, it currently is wearing an ultradot matchdot for bullseye duty.