Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spare parts for G-22

Gary Johnson

I usually just carry a spare gun. It's the easiest if you have the money since you can get it setup exactly the same and test it out to make sure it is reliable. A spare refurburbished G22 is going for about $400 at gunshows around here.

When I'm only carrying one gun, my parts bag is comprehensive:

complete upper parts kit

complete lower parts kit

complete magazine

spare Heinie front sight

Glock tool

front sight wrench

You can get complete upper and lower parts kits from Glockmeister for about $150 total (no barrel, frame or slide). Be sure to try out all the parts in your gun to make sure they work. Just because they are stock parts doesn't mean they will function in your gun.

The bare minimum I would carry (assuming steel sights) is:

trigger housing with ejector

trigger spring

slide lock spring

Glock tool

complete magazine

I agree with Cy. The easiest thing to do is bring a spare Glock. The parts all stay together in one neat package. :D

If you don't have a spare gun, then I would carry a:

-locking block pin (they tend to break)

-trigger spring

-striker assembly (striker, striker spring, cups, etc...)

-slide catch

What gets chewed up in mine are spring cups. I tend to get brass shavings in the channel - which grinds up the cups and also embeds into the cups - leading to the very occasional light primer strike. Now I just ditch them when ever they look old.

The slide stop is a definite must-have spare. You should have at least one duplicate (preferrably more) of every pin if for no other reason than simply losing one during a cleaning.

• 3 months later...
no other reason than simply losing one during a cleaning.

cleaning? ok, now somebodys just bragging about how much spare time they have :P cleaning a glock....i have heard it all now :D i thought when they get dirty, just buy a new one. probably still be cheaper than owning a S_I <_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Of course Glocks never break! <_<

No, seriously, what would you recommend that I keep in my shooting bag "just in case." Specifically, I'm thinking about the more common breakages (e.g. recoil spring assembly, trigger spring.) Any thoughts? Thanks! BTW, I have a G-19.

Grunt

Never had anything other than the tip of a striker break off.

That said, I keep the following in my bag:

striker

striker spring

spring cups

trigger spring

trigger bar

ejector housing

striker safety / spring

recoil spring / rod

mag release

stock barrel

Unless there is a catastropic failure, you can rebuild / repair anything in under 5 min with these parts.

With as many cracked and broken locking blocks have seen in Glocks, have just been bringing a spare 17, use mostly for the odd GSSF Match shoot every once in a while. Buy most small internal springs in ten packs from Wolff only for the $ break and sell off 1/2 and make sure to start Spring season with all new springs, saving any that look "good" as emergency" spares so marked. {except recoil, safety plunger & 4 Lb. striker} Someone always seems to need a spring and no one has it, etc. Never know they may have what you need some time when you don't have one?

The only thing that I have seen go bad in a Glock from normal usage has been the trigger spring.

THese are the parts that I carry with me

trigger spring

striker spring

striker cups

striker safety / spring

recoil spring / rod

Fiber Optic inserts for Sights

I carried spare trigger springs [only thing that's broken for me] plus an entire striker assembly ready to go - usually with the stock or stock-minus-1-coil striker spring. That way if I had any issues with the RP striker spring setting off primers I could just swap them in the safe area. Maybe a spare extractor spring & plastic thing for the end in case it goes flying into the grass.

If you really want a complete "just in case" kit it would have an extractor and locking block, also if you use the stock [plastic] recoil assy I'd have one of those. The ultimate would be a spare gun. Used cop-models are like $295 if you don't need anything fancy.

Edited by eric nielsen

• 2 years later...

What do you experienced Glock shooters keep in your range bag for spare parts? I haven't been worrying about it since my gun was pretty much new when I bought it, but I'm putting a lot of rounds through it with practice and matches. What do you guys keep in your bags, and about how many rounds should I expect to put through it before something breaks. So far it's run flawlessly with the exception of a few problems I caused by screwing with it. It's just my only pistol at this point so I don't want to have leave a match that I had to drive an hour or two to get to just because something broke and I don't have a spare.

I'm not a Glock shooter....

But I just bring a whole 'nother gun.

Fiddling with springs and pins in a grassy safe area is a sure way to lose parts.

I take that back. I will bring along a packet or two of fiber optic rods, some fingernail clippers, and a cigarette lighter. That seems about the only thing that has ever broken on me since I started toting a "back up" gun along with me to matches.

Edited by Chills1994

Return spring and rod, frame pins, connector, 2 full spring kits (stock and competition), striker assembly, extractor, striker cups, factory plunger, sights, low profile slide release, mag release, sight tool, Glock tool and lube. That sounds like a lot, but I have a huge stock of factory parts that have been upgraded. Even buying new, that is a $75 investment or less. I have a small lure case (for fishing lures) that fits nicely in the bottom of my range bag.

I've saved my butt a couple of times and I find a use for something every few matches- usually helping out a fellow shooter.

I change springs every 5000 rounds or so. As far as hard parts- they can go for 10's of 1000's of rounds without failure.

Pins

Springs

Connectors

Trigger bar

Trigger mechanism housing

Locking block

Recoil spring assembly

Striker

Slide release lever

Haven't had to replace anything at a major...yet. Still, good to have

this stuff around and not need it.

Jim

You can get every part of a Glock into a Dillon parts box 'cept the frame slide and bbl, and they're all available at OEM Express for considerable less than 2 C notes. That, plus the aftermarket parts like springs and FO inserts cover it.

I do take a spare Glock to big away matches.

So far, I haven't used either...