Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Me Decide On Optic And Trigger

dart368

I have a 16" free float that I will take to the range for target, from 25-100 yards and hopefully up to 300 yards out. I will also use it for 3 gun, even though it is sort of set up for CQB because of the barrell length and collapsible stock, not to mention the mandatory bullet button.

I have narrowed it down to these 1-4x optics:

Burris MTAC

Vortex Viper PST

Burris XTR14 (A little steep price wise for me but I found a used one)

Which one would be best for what I want to do?

Also, would a AD mount be just as good as a Bobro or Larue?

Triggers...I had my mind set on a JP single stage for cost and quality but now I am thinking more now that I shouldn't skimp on this feature. One guy I know is sold on the Giessele triggers and I used to have a two stage one that felt pretty good. Of course, it was my first trigger that was not stock so I don't have a lot of experience with triggers. I hear good things about the Giessele S3G but am sure there are others out there that are good as well.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Either of the Burris scopes will suit you well. I'm not a fan of scopes with exposed turrets for 3 gun. They can and will get bumped eventually.

Go with the JP. When properly setup, there are none better and it will last a long, long time.

Either of the Burris scopes will suit you well. I'm not a fan of scopes with exposed turrets for 3 gun. They can and will get bumped eventually.

Go with the JP. When properly setup, there are none better and it will last a long, long time.

I noticed JP has a deal where they install it into your lower for $220. I am guessing this might be the way to go right?

I noticed JP has a deal where they install it into your lower for $220. I am guessing this might be the way to go right?

it is a good way to go, it will be back perfect. I have one and it is excellent quality.

Triggers I have had experience with both the JP and the Geisselle 3 gun trigger and the Geisselle is the better trigger by far in my opinion. Another plus is the Geisselle is far easier to install and you don't have to send it in to have it done. You can do it yourself and not worry about 50 set screws and locktite. That said the JP if properly installed is a fine option. If you want to go this option buying one of their lowers with the trigger pre installed is the way to go.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I have a Giessele, in a 3g1. I have installed JP triggers in my rifles and shot other shooter's rifles, with self installed JP triggers. I now have a CTR02 and nothing, that I have shot, compares to a JP installed, JP trigger. YMMV

This question again? Arent there 5,000,000,000 threads on this? You cannot possibly do well in three gun unless you have a Geisselle trigger that JP installs with platinum JP trigger pins and you need both a Swaro 1-6X and Leupold 1-8X in gold plated Warne mounts to even be in the top half of a club match.

As for the Geisselle trigger being better than the JP? Perhaps. But my JP (installed in 2004 with no issues and A LOT of rounds over it) has done me pretty well.

You cannot possibly do well in three gun unless you have a Geisselle trigger that JP installs with platinum JP trigger pins and you need both a Swaro 1-6X and Leupold 1-8X in gold plated Warne mounts to even be in the top half of a club match.

Heheh...

OP, I have installed multiple JP triggers with nothing more than a few pieces of sandpaper and the edge of my workbench. Watch the directions they provide, go slow and check fit often. There are exactly TWO screws in the trigger. If you can count to 2 you'll probably be okay.

ADM makes a great mount. I have been nothing but pleased with their products. Larue, Bobro...there is really no wrong answer if you're spending $200 on a name-brand mount. Get a Larue if you want a bottle opener with it. :P

West is right about uncapped turrets. If you're going to get a Viper, get a Viper HS. But if you can afford a used XTR14, you can probably swing a used TR24, which is an excellent option as well.

Heheh...

OP, I have installed multiple JP triggers with nothing more than a few pieces of sandpaper and the edge of my workbench. Watch the directions they provide, go slow and check fit often. There are exactly TWO screws in the trigger. If you can count to 2 you'll probably be okay.

Well I have installed Geisselle triggers with nothing but punches and no sand paper or locktite. I can do it in less than 10 minutes. I can count to 2 and frankly the JP trigger looked more complicated than I wanted to mess with at the time. Frankly there are a lot of people out there who have screwed up JP trigger installs. Its got to the point where JP has tried to address this with the EZ trigger and with their lowers with the trigger pre installed. So if there was no problem they would not have to make these corrective options. But to each his own, both are good choices. It seems some people get touchy if anything but JP is recommended. They make good stuff but there are other choices out there that are good as well.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

On the optic the XTR 1-4x is by far my choice and yes I have used all the ones above mentioned. A ADM is a good mount the Bobro is better and the Larue would be on the bottom of the list of the three. On the trigger the JP is not a bad choice by any means but the Giessele trigger is just perfect. Not much more you could ask for in a trigger. Here is a review I did on the XTR.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121026

Heheh...

Well I have installed Geisselle triggers with nothing but punches and no sand paper or locktite. I can do it in less than 10 minutes. I can count to 2 and frankly the JP trigger looked more complicated than I wanted to mess with at the time. Frankly there are a lot of people out there who have screwed up JP trigger installs. Its got to the point where JP has tried to address this with the EZ trigger and with their lowers with the trigger pre installed. So if there was no problem they would not have to make these corrective options. But to each his own, both are good choices. It seems some people get touchy if anything but JP is recommended. They make good stuff but there are other choices out there that are good as well.

Pat

No argument here but why is Geissele the default 'other' choice as if other quality triggers don't exist? I can't speak for anyone else's experiences but my first AR trigger was an AR Gold. I was wholly disappointed when I built another rifle with a Geissele S3G based on others' opinions of the S3G and comparing it to the AR Gold. I've gotten to the point where I don't dislike the Geissele, but it is far from perfect and I still much prefer the AR Gold.

I have the AR Gold and really enjoy it, adjusting is super easy. Of course other than a standard trigger the only other thing I have owned is a RRA 2 stage.

I am having the same optics debate right now. I have been using an ACOG for years now and want to switch to 1-4x. In the price range I want to stay in it looks like the MTAC is the way to go.

Okay, I'm new to the whole AR thing, more of a pistol shooter. No one seems to mention Timney triggers. Comments?

There has been some issues with the timneys in the past but I still have a POF which I think Timney helped on the trigger in one my ARs and for a single stage its one of the best triggers I have. I like the timney in my remington 700 also.

OP, I have installed multiple JP triggers with nothing more than a few pieces of sandpaper and the edge of my workbench.

I've installed a number of JPs, too, and haven't yet found a need for sandpaper. What have I been missing?

Heheh...

Pat

No argument here but why is Geissele the default 'other' choice as if other quality triggers don't exist? I can't speak for anyone else's experiences but my first AR trigger was an AR Gold. I was wholly disappointed when I built another rifle with a Geissele S3G based on others' opinions of the S3G and comparing it to the AR Gold. I've gotten to the point where I don't dislike the Geissele, but it is far from perfect and I still much prefer the AR Gold.

I have never tried the AR gold so I don't know how they are. I have heard bad things about the timney and RRA match triggers. I have worn out a Knight Armament trigger and two Williams trigger speciality set trigger set ups. Geissele has been very good for me but I won't bad mouth the the AR Gold that I have no trigger time on. I won't bad mouth JP either. They have an excellent feel when setup properly and was the first of the good AR triggers. Which trigger is the best is some what subjective.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo