Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Green vs. Red Fiber Front for out door

Tactica

My appoligies if this has been covered, I did some searches and was not getting any hits.

I had my fiber front break on me for the first time at a match recently, and swapped it out for some spare that I had. The replacement was exceedingly brighter than the old rod I had in it. That got me thinking.

I've seen the Viridian lasers compared to the Crimson Trace red lasers and much prefer the Green over the red for whatever reason, especially at distance and in daylight.

Dawson sells both and went ahead and ordered some of each.

Just wondering outdoors and on over cast vs bright sunny days, is the general concesus that one color is better than the other for competition USPSA shooting?

As it relates to back drops and target colors of white / brown, does one show up better to the eye than the other with these background colors in mind?

Are there seasons or lighting conditions where you want to plan on switching from one color to the other... low light dark house vs. foggy vs. bright sunshine clear sky?

I've heard of yellow / orange fiber, but haven't found any with a few online searches... are these ever preferred over the green / red more or less standard two colors?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts,

From my limited experience, I think the red shows up a little brighter then the green. I bought a gun used and it had the green on. It broke so I replaced it with the red and wow was it bright. Then the red broke a few months later and I figured that the green wasn't as bright probably because it wasn't a new rod so I went back to the green but I still think the red is brighter. I'll probably run it for a few matches but when it starts to dull I will probably go back to the red. I think there are varying opinions here but I must confess I am red/green color deficient according to my optometrist so you my as well forget everything I just said :roflol:

From my limited experience, I think the red shows up a little brighter then the green. I bought a gun used and it had the green on. It broke so I replaced it with the red and wow was it bright. Then the red broke a few months later and I figured that the green wasn't as bright probably because it wasn't a new rod so I went back to the green but I still think the red is brighter. I'll probably run it for a few matches but when it starts to dull I will probably go back to the red. I think there are varying opinions here but I must confess I am red/green color deficient according to my optometrist so you my as well forget everything I just said :roflol:

You mentioned something here about it dulling... is it normal to swap out fiber every so often? Do they lose some of their illumination over time... just to dust, gunk, soot.. whatever build up? As I originally mentioned, the new replacement rod was amazingly brighter, even with just going to the same color.

Cheers,

A shooter I know uses red, and then uses lenses on his Rudy's that enhance the red color. Rudy Project also has a set of lenses that enhances greens, but it goes on their non-shooting line of glasses. They may have the same green enhancing lenses available for their shooting line.

What I recall from the old cheap pair of aviator glasses I got from my dad back when I was high school, they enhanced green colors quite well. (School colors were green and white, and girls' uniforms had green skirts. :lol: )

tinted glasses... that's another good point. How a particular color fiber looks with tinted glasses. I tend to wear either clear, rose or an orange colored tint lense in my shooting glasses. For indoor / dark house I go clear. For overcast days I go with the rose colored. For clear sky bright days, I go with the orange colored. I guess I need to consider the glass tint as well when looking at these different fiber inserts... good call... hmm...

A shooter I know uses red, and then uses lenses on his Rudy's that enhance the red color. Rudy Project also has a set of lenses that enhances greens, but it goes on their non-shooting line of glasses. They may have the same green enhancing lenses available for their shooting line

Basic color theory - if you match your fiber color to your lens color, you'll get good results. The thing you want to avoid is using a green fiber with red sights or vice versa - the FO will still stand out, but nowhere near as bright as it should be.

My old eyes prefer green FO. It is a round dot where the red is fuzzy. That being said, I have read where FO are affected by solvents and cleaning solutions which might be why they are going dull.

FWIW

Richard

Edited by chirpy

I switched from red to green FO, for me the green is easier to pick up quickly and see easier on most all backrounds. The human eye will naturally pick up green colers faster than red colors, now that being said everybody see colors in a tiny bit different shade, so whatever works best for you run with it and dont look back.

That is exactly what I have been told and have observed in conversations in the past . . . . the "senior" guys seem to prefer the green optic. Also noticed that Wilson Combat is sending their pistols out the door with green fibers in the ones they sell with the F/O sight.

Ken

Although there are exceptions in both directions, shooters under the age of 40 seem to prefer red FO and those over 40 seem to prefer green.

I used to prefer red. Now I've gone green all the way.

This may be my eyes and age, but it partly depends on the light and the background. My range is rather shady and the berms are all covered with foliage and trees. On that range, green seems to work significantly better. Another range I shoot at has very little shade and the berms are sandy. On that range, the red stands out better than the green. Overall, I prefer the green because it works better most places that I shoot.

Although there are exceptions in both directions, shooters under the age of 40 seem to prefer red FO and those over 40 seem to prefer green.

I prefer red. I am NOT an old guy!I prefer red. Well, maybe sometimes green looks good. :blush:

I can add a datapoint to this. I am under 40 and prefer red. Tried the green, but just doesn't seem to light up like the red does.

• 1 month later...

The two primary colors that show up in color blindness are red and green.....also a tie in with specific areas/types of color blindness with eye color. Might have something to do with individual preferences on FO colors..?

Thank you Dallas Museum of Science for your display of color cards that made me realize that I can't see certain colors. Never noticed it in everyday life for 30+ years...

Edited by Merlin Orr

I use any color . And sometimes no FO . I like the looks of the red and the brightness of green . But it is good to change here and there. Sean Gaines has a post somewhere here " Food for Thought " that talks about FO . Check it out.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129746&pid=1462370&st=0entry1462370

Edited by BOOST

Something else to think about is what your surroundings look like. I prefer green, and it works really well for me because I live in the desert, where the backstop that I'm shooting at is reddish, so the green doesn't ever get lost. I wonder if the people who live and shoot in greener areas prefer red for the same reason?