Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Diameter Carbon Fiber Forend?

Duane Thomas

I recently had a rifle built up for a lady shooter who does not have a lot of upper body strength so the emphasis was on trying to make the rifle as light as possible, especially out front. My first instinct was to go carbon fiber for the forend, but I got talked by the manufacturer of a particular aluminum unit into going for that instead. This forend is so small in diameter the riflesmith had to actually take a pinned, Vietnam era milspec gas block and cut it down to fit under the handguard. Got the rifle, I love the small diameter of the tube now, it seems much more small hand friendly (and the woman in question does not have particularly large hands) but it makes the front of the gun entirely too heavy.

My question: is there a good, small diameter, carbon fiber forend out there that you might recommend?

I believe that Benny's comment is that all are 2"; and your comment seems to indicate that this is not strictly speaking necessary, as the nature of the gas block makes the actual area needing to be cleared more oval? Perhaps this is a niche market some clever manufacturer could exploit, an oval section free float hand guard? This could save a few ounces and be thinner in cross section, which might be of use to some small handed shooters?

No, I think that Benny's comment was that all forends have 2" interior diameter, and my comment was that's not true. Some clever manufacturers have already answered the desire for a smaller forend, with low profile gas blocks and forends sized down to fit same.

If you can't find a carbon fiber handguard that fits you may be able to shave some weight by turning the barrel or changing the comp. Or maybe changing/placing the balance rearward by using a heavier stock? How about a little more info about the rifle? How long is the barrel? What diameter is the barrel before and after the gas block? What comp? Iron sights or Optic? What handguard and length is it right now?

Otherwise you can always have a friend start fabricating a barrel nut to match one of these carbon fiber tubes. carbon fiber

I had Daniel Defense build me a 16.5" pencil barrel so there won't be any need to take more weight off the barrel. There is no comp, just a bird cage flash hider. For a newbie AR-15 shooter I had to weigh damping down the thunderous recoil of the .223 :rolleyes: against the louder noise of a comp.

The forend in the photo is a Troy TRX Extreme. Which is in fact the forend that is currently on the rifle. When I got the rifle back from the smith a month or two ago, I thought the TRX Extreme made it entirely too front heavy. Pulled it out of the safe a few days ago and my attitude has changed, I like it and don't feel it makes the rifle too heavy. Thus no need to go carbon fiber. This is good, because the lady in question really likes the TRX Extreme - in fact she's the one who first suggested it to me.

The OD of the TRX Extreme according to my dial calibers is 2.050" tall x 1.735" wide.

I had Daniel Defense build me a 16.5" pencil barrel so there won't be any need to take more weight off the barrel. There is no comp, just a bird cage flash hider. For a newbie AR-15 shooter I had to weigh damping down the thunderous recoil of the .223 :rolleyes: against the louder noise of a comp.

The forend in the photo is a Troy TRX Extreme. Which is in fact the forend that is currently on the rifle. When I got the rifle back from the smith a month or two ago, I thought the TRX Extreme made it entirely too front heavy. Pulled it out of the safe a few days ago and my attitude has changed, I like it and don't feel it makes the rifle too heavy. Thus no need to go carbon fiber. This is good, because the lady in question really likes the TRX Extreme - in fact she's the one who first suggested it to me.

The OD of the TRX Extreme according to my dial calibers is 2.050" tall x 1.735" wide.

A comp is well worth it especially if your worried about recoil. Hearing protection should be used when shooting any firearm so the noise level should be a non issue for the shooter. Now the people around her may not like it.

Pat

Weight is about 11-12 oz. OD is also smaller than 2". About 1.7" or so.

I chose this handguard specifically for my 13 year old son and his hand size...

Mick

Maybe. How is it for weight - and is it significantly smaller in OD than a standard forend?

• 2 weeks later...

Lancer is set up at the FNH match. I know you're not looking any more but their CF tube would fit the bill. It's the only CF tube I've seen with flats. Nice rounded corners, not sharp. Lots of slots for accessory rails if you need them. Very light weight and looked fairly simple to install.